Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted 'rules' About Books?

narnia

my grandson's nursery has just THREE (tatty) books on a shelf....................my daughter,who was bothered by this, questioned why and was told it is Ofsted rules to have only three books on any shelf, they must be pointing foward and not touching each other,It is also good practice to photocopy the cover of the book and put it on the shelf so the children know where it goes! has anyone else been told this??

I've heard about photocopying the cover to show where each book goes, but not about 3 books on a shelf. Sounds like an excuse for not having enough resources out!!

Children need to see books everywhere not just in a "the book area" - we have laods and loads of books in all areas of our pre-school - as long as they learn to look after books thats the expectation - dont think there is a development matters point which says "when the child has finished with a book, they know to find its picture on the rack and put it back" - sorry to rant a bit but cannot believe that some pre-schools would think that 3 books is enough, and that to say that Ofsted think that is complete rubbish........ Sorry to rant again :o

Shocking ! - I say give them details of "The Book People" - can often get packs of 10 books for around £10. Can also get good quality 'as new' children's books from many charity shops for as little as 50p each. What if child is not interested in the 3 books available ! No excuse to skimp on books.

Hi Narnia (hope all ok with you)

I was shocked about this books thing!!

I can't decide if someone has lied to your daughter at the nursery or if someone has misinterpreted something from OFSTED they have read!!

I cannot imagine ANY decent nursery or preschool only having 3 books out!!! I can imagine 3 books out maybe in a specific area to support play on say firefighting or space etc, but 3 books in a book corner????

I shall be interested to see how this turns out!

It does sound a little ECERSy but I know even then there's no way 3 books would be acceptable!

Keep us posted please!

X

I love books, I can't go into a bookshop without coming away with at least one for preschool, even when we are on holiday and Zebedee is giving me black looks. It took me nearly three days to do the book inventory this year - I think I must slow down a bit!

• Like 1

Im actually speechless!!

I cant believe that Ofsted would inspect a setting and be satisfied with only 3 books on display. Im a child minder and on my first inspection (to inspect suitability of premises, so before having any children there) I was told that I didnt have enough books or variety of books. I had far more than 3!

I would be questioning the quality of the provision in other areas. If they are scrimping on the things you can see, what about the things you dont.

And the three books that will ensure that children have access to fiction, non-fiction, poetry, awareness of cultures that may differ from their own, multi-lingual stories, social stories, home made stories etc. ARE?????????

I've also had something like this suggested to me but not with the Ofsted tag attached. I also think it might have been linked to ECERS but it wasn't limited to just three books. I have always had a huge number of books on the book trolley and lots of others in other areas too. To have the covers photocopied and displayed would have been impossible so I accepted the suggestion as advice and ignored it because I knew our children all accessed the books (around the room) regularly and effectively. In fact this last year we had boys making up 98% of the children attending and visitors always commented on how well they used the books and how engaged they were with them independently so I know it was working how we ran it.

Oh, Narnia - I had a chuckle!!

What rubbish we are fed - but sometimes people actually believe it!!

If I were an Ofsted Inspector and was met with the scenario you describe - "Where is the noose!!!?"

Sorry - extreme response - but - for goodness sake!!!!!

Sue

well, my daughter went in with a pile of new books for the nursery...................explained again her worries and that she felt, after listening to what I said, that maybe the setting had misinterpreted what the Ofsted inspector had said so would they like the new books she had bought as a leaving present from her child to the setting? Guess what they said...................

WE haven't misinterpreted anything, the inspector was very clear and we are sticking to her ideas. And, no thank you, we don't need any more books......we have plenty ............

Incidentally, I read the settings last Ofsted report.........................and the laugh of it all is that they had the SAME inspector that we had. She told us that we had 'one of the nicest, cosiest book corners she had ever seen'....................and we certainly DON'T have three books to a shelf!

Edited by narnia
  • Like 1