Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ruby Wedding Anniversary

sunnyday

Oh dear I have done something awful :(:o

Mr S and I will celebrate 40 years of 'wedded bliss' in March........I had quite 'expected' that my sons and my daughters-in-law would have given this some thought and asked what we would like to do to celebrate........

By Christmas they still hadn't said anything .... so I said "dad and I were thinking of booking The Xxxxxx' - (our local pub) for a party for our anniversary......

No.1 son: what d'you want to go there for?

No. 2 son: well we'll have to tell you now we have arranged something

Me: oh how lovely what?

D-I-L: Oh a really posh restaurant - we thought we'd all have a lovely evening

Me (trying really hard not to look disappointed) - oh that's lovely thank you

Well time has gone on and I have started to think - I really don't do 'posh' nor does Mr S, why have they booked that etc.etc. - would much rather have booked the pub for an evening with all of our lovely friends......

This afternoon D-I-L said something about new outfits and a spray tan (for her) for our 'do'....well that sort of 'tipped me over the edge' and I said "have you booked the restaurant because it's not really what we want to do" - she said "well no, what is it that you want to do then".......I was thinking 'well I just wanted to go to the pub' - but thought I can't say that - so (for some unknown reason) I said "we're thinking about going away somewhere nice for that weekend"...........

Guess what - they have had a 'surprise party' booked at our local for the last 6 months - they have been so busy inviting everyone - super invitations with one of our wedding photos on it..........so that's it they had to tell me before we booked a weekend away........

Part of me feels awful, but a sneaky part of me thinks it's really quite funny.........they are daft - if they hadn't kept on about it being so 'posh' I wouldn't have decided I wasn't going (apparently that's because if they hadn't emphasised 'posh' I would have worn jeans - which I would! xD:(:( )

Oh dear.......

well first of all let me congratulate you both on your years of marriage - well done and secondly i am still laughing regarding the 'posh ' bit and how the surprise had to be revealed- but at least now you and your children know you will be having exactly what you both would have wanted - local, not posh and surrounded by your friends and family but obviously having a dress code so only a little compromise and at least now you won't have to practice your surprised look !!! xD:o

As I read that I was feeling awful for you having to do a posh 'do' when you didnt want to and then I laughed when all was revealed.

I couldnt do anything for my mom and dads Ruby because mom got the year wrong and this year was their Golden and they didnt tell anyone.

Enjoy the plan and dont worry about messing it up the family will know you and understand you and talk about you for years to come :o

ahh bless you have fun - you will have a fab time, :o It my mum and dads 40th this year we are going to Cyprus to celebrate with them (party). I am trying to put an album together with friends old and new - but its proving very tricky......... xD

Sunnyday - I can picture the scene with your d-i-l, surprise parties are the devil to organise! Hope you all have a wonderful evening when the time comes - and when it comes to your golden w.a., trust that the ones who love and know you well will have your best interests at heart and know what you would really like to do.

I hope you all enjoy it.. at least you now know and can enjoy it all..

I did a small surprise for hubbys 60th birthday .. we always go away for that weekend as it is also our wedding anniversary next day (30th) .. so he felt very secure in knowing we were safe from any surprises.. should have seen his face when our son and his partner turned up for the weekend and joined us , I have never seen anyone speechless before.. took him 15 mins to say anything and then still took a couple of hours for him to realise they were staying the weekend and we had lots planned.. a fun weekend was had by all.. once he recovered!

Thank you all for your kind wishes :ph34r:

I can't stop grinning - because I'm so happy that they have arranged this for us and that I don't have to 'suffer' a 'posh' restaurant! xD

They have booked our favourite band (live music is really our thing) and I'm so impressed that they have managed to think about who we would like to be there.........the 'theft' of my address book must have helped greatly with this :o - I didn't even notice it was missing :(:(:(

If they hadn't 'elaborated' quite so much - they would have got away with it :wacko: and if I wasn't such an aged hippy who wears jeans continually they wouldn't have needed to keep emphasisng the 'posh' bit! xD :rolleyes: :unsure: (I would have felt awful if I hadn't dressed appropriately!)

Now....where can I get some 'posh' jeans? ;):ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by sunnyday

I tend to stick to Levis and wear either the really tatty ones or neater ones depending on the occasion.

A sparkly top usually allows for any jeans. Accessories! xD

Oh yes I'm a Levis girl as well.....and agree you can really 'dress them up' xD Reckon I might have to do better though :rolleyes: .......a dress :o - see that fills me with horror :(:(:(

No 1 son is getting married in September and I know that I'm going to have to buy a dress for that and have already threatened to hit the next person who says "are you going to wear a hat"? Of course I'm not going to wear a flippin' hat!!! :wacko:

• Like 1

What a lovely story and a lovely family, Sunnyday!

If it were me I wouldn't mind you finding out. The nice part is not having to organise anything and that still applies. This way you still get the lovely evening and you get to look forward to it too. I'm sure your family would agree.

I would have felt just the same about a really posh restaurant. A nice evening in the pub with good friends sounds far more appealing.

I wish you many congratulations on your anniversary and I hope you have a well deserved wonderful time.

xx

Thanks Upsy! xD

They really are lovely - they have pulled out all the stops for us.........I am cross with myself for even thinking that they were taking me somewhere that I wouldn't want to go......that was really puzzling me and I had been saying to Mr S "why would they think that we would enjoy that, they know we don't go for that sort of malarky" :o He is so laid back that he would just 'go along' with anything........

No 1 son is getting married in September and I know that I'm going to have to buy a dress for that and have already threatened to hit the next person who says "are you going to wear a hat"? Of course I'm not going to wear a flippin' hat!!! xD

I don't see what your problem with bobble hats is! :o You could have it in stripes to match the dress! Or if it's the bobble that's bothering you how about a balaclava - I have a good pattern...

:(:(:(

I don't see what your problem with bobble hats is! :o You could have it in stripes to match the dress! Or if it's the bobble that's bothering you how about a balaclava - I have a good pattern...

xD:(:(

:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes: :unsure:

That's a really good point - instead of physical violence that could be my answer to these queries about hat wearing - "oh yse, of course I am wearing a hat - a bobble hat" ;)

I constantly warn my family never to plan any 'surprise parties' for me - I would hate it! I like to know in advance what I'm doing and plan what I'm wearing.

When my daughter got married one of their friends wanted to arrange a few nights in a hotel as a surprise as they knew they couldn't afford a honeymoon. It turned out that Adams parents also had the same plan but they're rubbish at keeping quiet so let something slip. That could've been a very embarrassing and expensive experience!

Still laughing!

I absolutely HATE surprises. A few years ago Zebedee (who should know better) surprised me on Mother's day and my children and Mum arrived for the day and he'd booked a place for lunch too. It was lovely to see them but I couldn't relax and enjoy it, and I felt so ungrateful but the house was an absolute tip because I'd been busy with Preschool stuff. So there was washing on radiators and the airer by the fire and dust you could write your name in (thanks to the coal fire) and I hadn't washed my hair or anything. I'm SO with you on the surprise thing!! They all arrived looking so smart ready for their 'posh' lunch and I looked a slob!

At the very least he could have said that ONE of them was coming, so I could have prepared things a bit, then the rest would have been a lovely surprise!

Yes as Cait says there's nothing worse than not being in the correct ' mentality zone' to enjoy suprises.

Could you imagine being dragged out somewhere posh unprepared and the thought of everything you intended to to do that day in the back of your mind? xD:o :wacko: xD

I think i'm lucky that I'm usally given hints- ie: you're going out - wear XYZ. ...............although I can usaully weddle it out of my daughter as she gets upset if she thinks I'll be unhappy/stressed!! (then I have pretend she hasn't told me) :(:(:(

Please may I join the 'i hate surprises' club :o

Having said that I think there are degrees of surprises. My idea of utter hell on earth would be to be taken to some venue or other to find people jumping out and shouting happy birthday/anniversary. I can't think of anything worse!

Mr Gezabel is the same thankfully. For his 50th he just wanted a quiet meal out so I obliged and took him out for dinner in Venice:-) he loved it. He has always wanted to go to New York ( not my cup of tea at all and neither of us has ever been. ) This year he is celebrating the big 60 so he will be getting dinner in New York. I have added the surprise that our 4 sons and their other halves will be there too but I know he will love that (if a little speechless)

Not sure why I hate surprises so much and wonder if it is my dislike of being the centre of attention?

• 1 month later...

Thought that I would update this and tell you that the party was Saturday and WOW what a brilliant party it was!

I'm going to try and upload a photo........look who played for us.....anyone recognise him? - Oh no - I can't get it to upload - right I will email it to my bestest forum buddy and get her to do it! xD

• Like 1

I hope your card arrived safely and you had a lovely day yesterday - I was thinking about you whilst I was mowing the lawn!

Oh and my number one son gets married at the same time and I might be tempted to wear a hat - because I can't decide what on earth to do with my hair!!!!

• Like 1

I hope your card arrived safely and you had a lovely day yesterday - I was thinking about you whilst I was mowing the lawn!

Oh and my number one son gets married at the same time and I might be tempted to wear a hat - because I can't decide what on earth to do with my hair!!!!

No card yet - but thank you I'm sure it will get here soon - have you got my email with the photo? xD

I will learn how to upload a photo soon (ish) promise! :rolleyes:

I'm going to try and upload a photo........look who played for us.....anyone recognise him? - Oh no - I can't get it to upload - right I will email it to my bestest forum buddy and get her to do it! xD

Well now I can't wait to see who it was who played for you! So glad you had a lovely time - Happy Anniversary!

• Like 1