Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My Computer Has A Virus. Apparently.

HappyMaz

OK so some of you will be aware that since I'm not going to nursery every day any more, I'm spending more time at home during the day. Cue a couple of silent calls each morning, followed by calls from a very helpful Microsoft Certified Engineer, who has diagnosed that my laptop has hidden within its hard drive many dangerous viruses that threaten my future livelihood and freedom. Luckily for me they have just the thing to remove these nasty pieces of code from my computer.

Now I know that Microsoft don't call you up at home to tell you that you have a problem with your computer, much less that Windows is in fact causing this terrible disease to spread through the nation's laptops. I play along for a while until I back them into a corner and they inevitably hang up on me.

Today the lady told me that only a Microsoft Certified Engineer could remove these viruses, and when I said I was in fact my husband has Microsoft certification she told me that, like many other people who she speaks to every day, I must be lying, to avoid paying for the service.

I checked out the telephone number (0203 0266482) and did a quick google search and found that this number is associated with many calls to computer users, increasingly to elderly and more vulnerable people who have just bought a new PC. Some have even been told that they have downloaded something illegal which if they take the computer back to PC World will lead to their being arrested.

So whilst I had a bit of fun sparring with these people (invariably with very difficult to understand accents and possibly calling from an Indian call centre, judging by what I read), there is a serious side to these nasty scams which are designed to scare people and make them part with money unnecessarily.

From my internet searches because these people operate outside of the UK, there doesn't seem much that can be done about these calls other than to spread the word and remind people that no matter how plausible they sound, these people are just con artists.

That's the really irritating thing though. If they're calling from outside the UK and yet appear to be calling with a UK number I feel the Telecomms organisations that enable this should be held responsible. They're making money out of offering this kind of service and yet hold their hands up helplessly if it's abused. They could stop it tomorrow if they wanted to!

Its despicable Maz. Father-in-law has stopped answering his phone now thanks to all the selling calls. That means the GP, district nurse, COPD people, emergency helpline people cant get in touch with him. His mobile is usually in the kitchen! even though we remind him to have it close.

We registered his number with the Telephone preference service but it hasnt helped a fat lot.

We are registered with the TPS too Rea, and it has cut out a lot of unwanted cold calls. Stating that we're registered is an effective way of ending any calls that do come through, too. Although these people making this type of call won't be put off by that of course. I think we're also ex-directory so I do wonder how they have got hold of our telephone number.

I agree with you Steve that there seems little will on the part of BT or other telephone providers to take action against these companies. Imagine the goodill it would generate though for the company who actually took these people to task and shut them down?

I've had a bit of fun with these people in the past too. One time I let them ramble on a bit and then acted confused because I said I didn't have a computer! Another time I kept asking which one as we have lots and eventually they gave up the will and hung up on me!

Like you say though, there are lots of people out there who are conned into something that either puts their information at risk or makes them part with a lot of money unnecessarily.

At the moment I'm getting a lot of those phone calls where when you answer there is no one at the other end. As I'm registered with the TPS I thought I would be able to complain but it seems they don't cover these calls! They're also coming from a UK based number so I figured I could maybe complain and get it blocked by BT but they just say to join the TPS.......

I think we're also ex-directory so I do wonder how they have got hold of our telephone number.

We have been ex-directory for about 30 years, we don't get many cold calls, however, when we have, I have been told they come from random number generators, so there would appear to be no escape! It's hit and miss whether they come up with your number but it is likely that they will at some time.

The only other cold callers who are a pest are BT and British Gas! Who appear to need to talk to the bill payer very often to find out if they are providing the service we want - or perhaps more likely the service they want us to have. They are irritating people.

Thanks for the computer virus scam stuff though - it wouldn't surprise me if mine had caught a virus, it's that old, but whether I would always be on the ball about bogus calls is another matter.

Been there Maz.......although not lately xD hope I haven't tempted fate now! :o

Did have a horrible call a few weeks back - couldn't begin to understand the caller and said "who are you exactly" - his reply......."I'm your father" - really not nice as my dad died 13 years ago......

And as I am sat here reading this the phone has rung and guess what??

Yes, the same phone call.

We have TPS too, once it sorted everything out now they come from India or elsewhere they are exempt. We also have caller ID too and have been avoiding a lot of calls which come up International or number withheld but todays call came through with an 020 code so was answered. :o

The best thing we did at home was to go away one new year leaving the lads to have a party. We came home to no handset. It turned up almost 12 months later in the christmas tree decoration box, but we never bothered to use it because we'd got used to having our own mobiles by then. It cuts out all the unwanted calls.

I must admit I'm thinking of changing my answering message to tell people that if you're not a computer scammer, please keep listening til the end of the message, speak and I'll pick up...

Not sure what I was listening to this morning- radio 4 about 8am, and they were saying that most 'scam calls' originate from either Russia or china... And that it was with in Hilary Clintons power to have them all shut down within 4 Hours (well the actual discussion said by lunchtime today) The question they were asking was why is this not happening?

I have had exactly the same call as you describe HappyMaz, gave them a shift sharp talking to, asked for their telephone number, told them in no uncertain terms that i was never going to give any information about my property to a stranger over the phone and they could put something in writing if it was that important, funny that have never had a letter. :o

As for your call Sunnyday that is disgusting, its about time something is done to stop the scammers from making others lives a misery. :(xD

lol !!..i had a few of these over the summer hols, the last one was from a man with a foreign accent, calling himself Ronald Macdonald -telling me he was from microsoft and i had a virus on my computer !!

friend of mine also had one - funnily enough she's not on the internet -so no way could she have downloaded a virus !

Louby Lou that was Misha Glenny on radio 4 this morning (with AN Other) talking about malware on computers. The reference to Hilary Clinton was the way she effectively shut down Wikileaks by telling Visa and Mastercard not to process any transactions, thus effectively strangling their revenue sources.

The point was that the US government could do the same thing with the malware criminals as they largely emanate from a very few organisations in Russia and Eastern Europe. But they didn't view it as a priority to do so.

I have to admit that many years ago (1990 if I remember correctly) before the proper internet was up and running, I made a hoax virus on Helen's computer at college with a friend.

We got it to throw up a message when she signed on warning her that her computer had a virus (back in those days they were available but largely travelled via floppy disks if you remember those quaint old things). It said that she shouldn't touch the computer directly but use a ruler or something similar to press the delete key.

They were all a little more amateurish back then...

I have to admit that many years ago (1990 if I remember correctly) before the proper internet was up and running, I made a hoax virus on Helen's computer at college with a friend.

We got it to throw up a message when she signed on warning her that her computer had a virus (back in those days they were available but largely travelled via floppy disks if you remember those quaint old things). It said that she shouldn't touch the computer directly but use a ruler or something similar to press the delete key.

They were all a little more amateurish back then...

:o And did she? Use a ruler or someting?

The best thing we did at home was to go away one new year leaving the lads to have a party. We came home to no handset. It turned up almost 12 months later in the christmas tree decoration box, but we never bothered to use it because we'd got used to having our own mobiles by then. It cuts out all the unwanted calls.

I get spam messages on my mobile, don't you?

No Susan, well that was until the PPI hit the headlines. I get one maybe once in a two month period but thats it.

And talking of PPI, I just filled out the forms I downloaded from 'money saving expert' and the Halifax sent a reply within a fortnight saying they will pay back all the insurance plus 8% interest on it :oxD

So, please, anyone who's thinking of using one those company's, do it yourself.

And did she? Use a ruler or someting?

Sadly no - but she wouldn't go anywhere near the computer till she'd called a friend in from next door (actually us) and asked us what she should do. I think the impossibility of keeping our faces straight gave the game away.

Yes that was it Steve- not quite the same thing then !

Anyway I really do have a virus bug in my laptop ........ It's one of those 'thunder bug' things - the ones that get inside your pictures!!! It's right in the middle of my screen... squashed - 'cos I poked the screen when I saw it walking across the inside!!!

Sadly no - but she wouldn't go anywhere near the computer till she'd called a friend in from next door (actually us) and asked us what she should do. I think the impossibility of keeping our faces straight gave the game away.

And yet she married him, dear Reader! :o

I remember 5 and a quarter inch floppy disks! You could take the middles out and make very interesting templates for stained glass windows, as I recall!

I remember 5 and a quarter inch floppy disks! You could take the middles out and make very interesting templates for stained glass windows, as I recall!

Yes, they were the last ones to actually fit the description 'floppy'. The 3.25" ones you could break windows with and ought to have been subjected to trades descriptions scrutiny! (now I'm a bit worried we might be losing a few of the younger folk here...).

I remember 5 and a quarter inch floppy disks! !

me too, and they were even floppy. Actually I found one amongst some stuff a few weeks back of something I wrote when I was a student..goodness knows if it would make any sense nowadays!

Still didnt have the heart to throw it away though

Haha - me too! I've got some in the loft with - I'm sure - really interesting stuff on! There's even a daisy-wheel Olivetti word processor up there - which takes A3 paper! Can't bring myself to throw that out!

Yes, they were the last ones to actually fit the description 'floppy'. The 3.25" ones you could break windows with and ought to have been subjected to trades descriptions scrutiny! (now I'm a bit worried we might be losing a few of the younger folk here...).

Now I always used to think of myself as 'younger folk' but I remember proper floppy discs and I also remember playing games on a computer with a casette tape.