Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Play Dough

an NVQ in playdough? :o

One of my girls makes it at work, and it is a no cook version, should really learn the recipie, in case she ever leaves!

Same as Clare.

My colleagues have tirelessly tried to show me how to do the no-cook version but I always get it wrong! All you need is flour, salt, water and oil. There are certain amounts you have to use, but if you're anything like me, just keep slopping it all together until it vaguely resembles playdough that can be played with (just don't overdo the salt).

HTH although it probably doesn't :o

2 cups plain flour

1 cup salt

2 cups water

2tbsp cooking oil

2 tsp cream of tartar

food colouring

Put it in a pan over a medium heat and stir until it's playdough consistency. I use DH for the last bit of the stirring as it gets very stiff.

It makes a perfect consistency (I was complimented on it by a playworker today!) and it lasts for as long as you want it to in the fridge.

I've used it since 2000 and it's never gone wrong so it must be idiot proof!

2 cups plain flour

1 cup salt

2 cups water

2tbsp cooking oil

2 tsp cream of tartar

food colouring

Put it in a pan over a medium heat and stir until it's playdough consistency. I use DH for the last bit of the stirring as it gets very stiff.

It makes a perfect consistency (I was complimented on it by a playworker today!) and it lasts for as long as you want it to in the fridge.

I've used it since 2000 and it's never gone wrong so it must be idiot proof!

snap

and I use same recipe but microwave it a couple of minutes at a time stirring between bursts until cooked.. brilliant... and I have used it since 1989!!

if you try a forum search there will be loads of them,, remember one using boiled water and another for chocolate playdough..

try this one....

Mix:

1 cup salt

4 cups plain flour

4 tablespoons Cream of Tartar

6 tablespoons oil

colouring

Then add:

3 cups boiling water (Sometimes a little extra water is needed)

Alternatively you can use liquid paint to colour the dough. Simply replace some of the water with paint to make up the three cups of water.

truly a no cook one.....i havent managed to mess it up yet! :o

or this one for the bread maker...

Pop the following into the machine:

1 and 1/4 cups water

2 tablespoons olive oil

squirt food colouring

3 cups of plain flour

Set the machine to the dough setting -

both of these are from sherri and donna's website...at irresistible play based learning

it only needs 5 minutes to make a nice pliable dough.

Edited by finleysmaid

What does the Cream of Tartar do? Does anybody know? I did make a sticky batch once when I forgot the C of T, but wasn't sure it wasn't something else I didn't have - cupboards were pretty bare that day!

Honey

I've wondered that since the first time I made it 11 years ago!

Cream of tartar stabilises the flour mixture, something or other to do with protein molecules :o, and makes it light and airy. Without it it will go sticky quite quickly.

I suppose the best playdough is one that the children can make themselves, but I also like to add hot water to mine as that 'cooks' the flour, and the texture is better. There is no need to actually cook playdough just add boiling water and it has the same effect.

I use

14oz flour

7 oz salt

600 ml of water

2 tbsp of oil

4 tsp cream of tartar

An idea I got from mundia on here some years ago was to substitute cocoa for half of the flour to make chocolate playdough. Remind the children not to eat it xD

campbells and I were at a training workshop the other evening and the trainer had provided some proprietory Play Do. The smell really took me back - does anyone have any idea what that smell is? We had a lovely time making it into bracelets!

campbells and I were at a training workshop the other evening and the trainer had provided some proprietory Play Do. The smell really took me back - does anyone have any idea what that smell is? We had a lovely time making it into bracelets!

You might fancy some eau de playdo then Maz.

I read somewhere that lemon juice can be used instead of cream o tartar to provide the acidity, but I' ve never tried it. (maybe I should nd then report back!)

I read somewhere that lemon juice can be used instead of cream o tartar to provide the acidity, but I' ve never tried it. (maybe I should nd then report back!)

Good Grief!!! I want some!!! Do you think it will make me all soft and pliable? :o

Mundia, you never fail to amaze me with the range of information and advice you dole out on this forum! I am not worthy!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)