I use this one:

1 Minute Playdough recipe:

1/2 cup of salt

1 cup of flour

1 tablespoon of cream of tartar

1 tablespoon of oil

I cup of boiling water - mixed with

some food colouring

Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and then mix vigourously with the hot water.

Makes wonderful playdough which lasts for ages in little plastic sandwich bags.

Found it on a website ages ago and it works really well!

I've tried a substitute for the cream of tartar as we ran out, and Google advised me to use lemon juice or vinegar. I was making lots so ended up trying both and they do work ok but something wasn't quite the same although it might have been the smell with the vinegar batch! We have used strawberry flavouring in ours sometimes but it makes it smell like chewits.

In our setting we try to change what is in our malleable/messy areas on a frequent basis: or to be more honest some of can't make playdough for love nor money - here some recipes we have collected.

messy_play.doc

It is a work in progress and I have not tested all the recipes. (some recipes may give rise to the playing with food debate)

As for the question of how successful a recipe is or a playdough maker you are we believe - because we have observed! - some children love oozy, sticky, slimy playdough and having extra flour to add helps and adds an extra dimension to their play.

As for adding scent cocoa gives a good scent and it's interesting to watch how children react to 'chocolate playdough'. You will have to decide for yourself how much you get involved and steer the 'inevitable' explorations...

In our setting we try to change what is in our malleable/messy areas on a frequent basis: or to be more honest some of can't make playdough for love nor money - here some recipes we have collected.

messy_play.doc

It is a work in progress and I have not tested all the recipes. (some recipes may give rise to the playing with food debate)

As for the question of how successful a recipe is or a playdough maker you are we believe - because we have observed! - some children love oozy, sticky, slimy playdough and having extra flour to add helps and adds an extra dimension to their play.

As for adding scent cocoa gives a good scent and it's interesting to watch how children react to 'chocolate playdough'. You will have to decide for yourself how much you get involved and steer the 'inevitable' explorations...

Wow - what a great list!

I'm still trying to find detailed instructions, though about how to make playdough with ready mixed paint that doesn't go sticky. If anyone could do a step-by-step, even with photos (!) I'd be really grateful!

There's a good sensory list here too, I'm not sure what 'swiffering' is, or about making a sandwich of your child between pillows, but there's some interesting ideas

Quick edit to add this for those children who don't like getting their hands in it!

Edited by Cait

I'm not sure what 'swiffering' is, or about making a sandwich of your child between pillows, but there's some interesting ideas

Some children with sensory processing or sensory integration issues find a soft, gentle touch quite uncomfortable, and need the comfort of 'deep pressure' to regulate themselves. We had a little girl who needed acccess to these kinds of activities whenever she was feeling stressed or bewildered by life. So being able to squash herself into a dense pillow, or jump on a trampoline or push up against a wall or the floor was really beneficial to her emotional wellbeing. She'd have loved the pillow sandwich idea!

Quick edit to say I just had a quick look at the article - very interesting. Just saw the term she uses for what I've described - Proprioceptive Input. Of course I knew that! :o

why do you want to use ready mixed paint?

To get a wider, more vivid range of colours, like turquoise, bright orange, fluorescent colours.... Maybe I just need to get more skilled in mixing food colouring together!!!!

Aha, I see. You can buy a wider range of food colourings in a paste or powder form which will give you a better range

That's a good idea. Is there any particular supplier you'd recommend? And are they very very expensive?

I get mine on ebay, type in 'food colouring' and you'll get lots of exciting colours. They last a long time - you don't need huge amounts. I add it to water too for children to paint with and they enjoy that - especially with a bit of wax resist!

That's a good idea. Is there any particular supplier you'd recommend? And are they very very expensive?

If you have any cake decorating shops near you - these places stock everything people need to make the ultimate wedding cakes etc. they have an abundance of colours to choose from. They are in small jars with paste inside or gel. They are about £2.50 - £3. each each but a little goes a very long way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)