Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bottom Wiping

hopeytg

I just wanted to check with you knowledgeable people whether I am correct in advising parents that staff do not wipe the bottoms of toilet trained children. It is a policy we have always had but as parents are questioning me I have started to doubt myself. Some reassurance or contradiction if I am wrong would be gratefully received.

Well.........if it's your policy....then it's your policy

However, we do wipe bottoms for children who would not be quite capable of doing so themselves.......there is, in my humble opinion, a big step between being toilet trained and being able to manage all personal hygiene matters independently....

It will be interesting to see responses to this....

We do wipe bottoms. I think it would be neglectful of us not to, and incredibly uncomfortable for children - as well as unpleasantly smelly for other children too!

What is your reason for not doing it?

Absolutely we wipe bottoms for those who need a little help. I would feel as though I was failing in my duty of care if I didn't do so.

A child in a setting all day who used the loo early morning and didn't quite manage the wiping could be quite sore at the end of the day - counldn't they? :o

I dont see a problem with wiping bottoms. Its part and parcel of the care we provide. If a childs newly trained we might keep an eye on them to see if they could manage and then offer help if we thought it was needed.

Yes we too wipe little bottoms - I do ask the children if they need help, or as they get older they are definitely encouraged to have a go for themselves as I am sure in Reception they wouldn't get too much assistance.

Yes we are definetly a wiping bottom pre-school, we work with 2.5 to 5 year olds, and certainly wouldn't expect them all to beable to do this, We have gloves for the staff to wear.

This has always been one of my concerns with children starting school so young, and teachers not allowed to do this.

Can i ask what age are the children you work with. :o

When they are first toilet trained we usually get them to have a go themselves, then we "finish off" for them. As they get older we do encourage more independence if it hasn't happened already. Some are keen to do things for themselves, others less so. The aim is for them to be independent before they leave us for school really.

We have a personal care policy which cover this...

Yes, we do wipe bottoms, but we get the children to do it first and them we 'check', with lots of praise!

Many , many children tell me that they are not 'allowed' to do it at home.... and this worries me - yes it can be messy, yes there is the hygiene issue, but they do need the practice to do this...

And our school (don't know if it is different for other school) do not wipe bottoms unless there is a recognised developmental reason why this is difficult.

We also let parents know that this is the case and strongly advise them to support us and work together to ensure that all the children are fully capable and independent by the time they leave pre-school ready to start school.

Quite oftten the children aren't flexible enough to wipe effectively! but they do need to understand that this is something that is there own responsibility....

yes we wipe ...children are not in propotion at this age and their arm length is too short to effectively wipe...(get a child to put their hand over their head it reaches about half way and an adults reaches to their shoulder ) :o

I also think apart from their inflexibility, arm length etc. they wobble about on top of the loo, - we only have adult sized loos, and I would hate for one of them to fall in mid wipe!

What always makes me giggle is the "presentation" modes of the rear end to be either wiped or checked!

What always makes me giggle is the "presentation" modes of the rear end to be either wiped or checked!

Yes.............. we had one that dropped his pants for 'checking' in the middle of circle time - and I mean 'middle'!!!!!!

xx

We wipe, many times a day we hear the cry of 'I've done a poo' from the toilets and on go the gloves!

We do have a personal care consent in the reg form and our toileting policy and guidance covers this too!

We do have a personal care consent in the reg form

this is interesting ...do lots of you have a consent form for this? always thought of it as part of the job but after recent nursery events in the press maybe this would be worth it?

Hi all

We too wipe bottoms!

We also put it down on our Nappy Changing log sheet that we have helped to do this. Also if we have had to help pull up their knickers/pants as its a part of personal toileting. Think this is more for our protection than anything else.

We do, it says something along the lines of "I give my permission for CRB/Ofsted cleared staff to clean and/or change my child in the event of need"

I'm glad to hear that so many do help with this and haven't been scared off by protection issues. I would definitely want my child to be assisted rather than spend all day getting sore and uncomfortable. However I do think the encouraging independence thing is the most important point here. If you are wiping a child's bottom all the time right up until (and after) they go to school then you aren't really doing them any favours because no one is going to do this for them at school. A teacher who is on her own with a class of 30 children cannot trot off to the toilets to start doing this everytime a child comes along who can't do this independently. It's so important to develop these skills before children reach school age and with good handwashing being taught hygiene should not be an issue.

although i know where you are coming from kariana if schools are going to take children earlier and earlier into school settings they need to adjust to the needs of the child not the child adjusting to the setting...if you have a child who is small for their age this task will be impossible for them even if they want to.

gatecrashing as a year R teacher but I hope you'll let me play.

We have many children who arrive at school unable to wipe as culturally a sponge is used at home and we have paper in school. Our local nurseries have used wet-wipes as a half-way stage, though this is expensive so parents are asked to provide their own, and we also allow children to keep their wipes in their drawers in case of need, as long as they are 'sensible' with them, but not many take up the option.

This is the subject of many a 'before starting school' home visit discussion, along with teaching boys to use a urinal please.

Any tips on how to bridge the sponge/paper gap would be gratefully received as this still causes such distress at times.

thank you

Mary

Maybe I have finally lost the plot :o

I can't think of how parents can teach a 4yr old to use a urinal - the school I used to work in had this in the boys toilets, small ones obviously at child height but I can't think where they would be available in public. Now wondering if gents toilets have mini urinals but then again that would rule out any single mums. Not being critical just pondering really.

Oh and finleysmaid I totally agree with you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)