Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bottom Wiping

hopeytg

, along with teaching boys to use a urinal please.

aahh now this is a much trickier one i think! How many of us have a urinal at home? when mum's are out with our little boys they usually need to use the ladies with us! - I don't think my son had seen a urinal until he was about 4! xD:o

And an interesting point ..... when my son was in year 5 he confided in me that when he needs the toilet he pretends he wants a poo so he can use a cubicle...... for a wee because he can't 'reach' to use the urinal.

just reminded me

i was supporting a transition visit to the local school and poped my head round the corner of the boys loos to check if they were ok ...only to find one of the boys sitting on the urinal xD:o (interestingly he was the son of a single mum...no male role models around!)

did make me laugh at the time

Like lots of others we do bottom wiping and encourage children to develop independence in this skill - we also try to encourage our young gentlemen to try to stand at the toilet for their wees - we have some wonderful conversations about aim as you can imagine. We are also blessed with some truely lovely invitations such as one young man bent over and presented a member of staff with his bare bottom and said "you may wipe my bottom now" in a tone that implied it was an honour that he was bestowing on her :o

When discussing toilet training and encouraging our young gentlemen to stand with parents, we point them (pardon the pun) in the direction of this website - it can make toilet training a little less stressful

Toilet training targets website

Sue

We would encourage independence by placing the toilet paper in the childs hand and guiding the child to wipe own bottom by holding the childs wrist to gently help with reaching far enough to wipe. Our toilets were adult size so we would teach that the child stands up before attempting to wipe rather than wobbling about precariously on the loo seat.

We taught reaching behind the legs wiping front to back.

Peggy

Finleysmaid I do agree that if schools are taking younger children there needs to be provision for this, but schools have taken children from the September after they turn four ever since I was a child so I would hardly say they are taking them younger and younger (school nurseries are different because the ratios mean there will still be two members of staff available at all times and so can provide this care. Where is the money going to come from to supply an extra member of staff to assist the reception teachers with things such as bottom wiping? It isn't the teacher's fault! I have to admit I get a little bit miffed when people imply that issues like this are down to the teachers being uncaring and not bothered about the needs of young children (not that I'm saying you are suggesting this, just in general I mean).

Finleysmaid I do agree that if schools are taking younger children there needs to be provision for this, but schools have taken children from the September after they turn four ever since I was a child so I would hardly say they are taking them younger and younger (school nurseries are different because the ratios mean there will still be two members of staff available at all times and so can provide this care. Where is the money going to come from to supply an extra member of staff to assist the reception teachers with things such as bottom wiping? It isn't the teacher's fault! I have to admit I get a little bit miffed when people imply that issues like this are down to the teachers being uncaring and not bothered about the needs of young children (not that I'm saying you are suggesting this, just in general I mean).

in this area we are only just starting to take children into school at this age...up until last year our children were still entering the term they turned five or indeed as the government suggests the term after their fifth birthday and not all schools have nursery units in fact there is only one in my area. The problem with funding is always a difficult one but i would have to argue that pre-schools do just that. I would never suggest that this is the teachers fault ( id be lynched on here!!)but maybe the government does need to think more about the needs of the child...we are supposed to be treating them as unique not one rule fits all.in my group at the moment we have one child who is morbidly obese, one who has a medical condition and one who is tiny for her age ...they will all go to school in september whatever i do they will not be at the bottom wiping stage before then... so what does that mean for them?

• 1 month later...
Maybe I have finally lost the plot :o

I can't think of how parents can teach a 4yr old to use a urinal - the school I used to work in had this in the boys toilets, small ones obviously at child height but I can't think where they would be available in public. Now wondering if gents toilets have mini urinals but then again that would rule out any single mums. Not being critical just pondering really.

Oh and finleysmaid I totally agree with you.

Did anyone see today an item on This Morning, about new gadgets on the market? They were mostly for children today and one of them was a portable urinal! Imagine if you will a flexible bowl with a strap attached to the top, the strap part clips to the side of the toilet and the bowl part dangles down for the child to pee in. As the bowl is flexible the child can then tip it up to empty it into the toilet. think it is going to be made available by Mothercare

Hmm, I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not? certainly it isn't something I would have purchased, just something else my boys could have dropped down the loo along with the toilet blocks!! Mine were always in such a hurry when little I'm sure they would have never have emptied it either.

But obviously someone thinks there is a market for it or else it wouldn't have been featured on a program like that

I can clearly remember a time when my lads couldnt work out when something was full, usually observed in the bath when they were pouring water into a bottle from a jug. So, I know exactly how the portable urinal would have been used! But on the other hand, watching them try to stand on tip toe and still aim straight shows something was needed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)