Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Exemplar Sefs

Thanks for sharing...I have finished mine but need to read through...it is always good to know we are all on a smiliar track and offering such good provision.....I think Mr or Mrs O will be suitably impressed.

Well done to you.... :oxD

• 2 weeks later...
sef_1.doc

Here is mine - I'm a childminder annd have recently been inspected. The inspector said that my SEF was a good and true reflection of my practice and I had identified appropriate, realistic and well targeted areas for improvement.

Hi everyone

Thanks for sharing your SEFs. I've just joined the forum looking for help with it. I've been putting it off for too long!! I made it a new year's resolution to get it out of the way, but it's so daunting when you look at it. I'm sure all of yours will inspire me (I won't copy them - promise!) :o

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for sharing your SEF's. We are just working on ours I suppose we can only put it off so long. Unfortunately I have nothing to post at the moment but will share with you when completed.

All your comments and forms are really helpful. Thank you all

I'm pleased to hear it - it certainly helps to see a completed SEF, then you know the kind of thing you're looking for! Mine needs updating now, in the new format, so that might be an Easter job now.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making your first post

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Thanks so much for posting your completed SEF's. I am trtying to write ours and it has been so helpful see how everyone has gone about it !!!!!!!

:o Thank you for posting your SEF I have downloaded it to read, most of mine is done but I'm not sure if I have done it right. It's the management section I am having trouble with. xD I feel as if I will never get it finished. Hope you do well with your OFSTED. Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
:o Thank you for posting your SEF I have downloaded it to read, most of mine is done but I'm not sure if I have done it right. It's the management section I am having trouble with. xD I feel as if I will never get it finished. Hope you do well with your OFSTED.

Hi I am re-doing my SEF having first completed it in January 2009 before an inspection in February 2009.

I have noticed now I have gone back in to update, Ofsted have moved all my text around into shorter boxes. It seems a lot easier this time to re-do.

My original SEF was a lot shorter than some posted here and Ofsted was happy with it. I think the main thing is to get down how you have reflected on practice and what you intend to do about it to improve.

I marked myself good in a lot of areas but Ofsted moved me up to Outstanding. I find it hard marking oneself outstanding as I feel there is always room for improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Thanks for sharing your SEF, I have been dreading tackling mine. I only run a small nursery and

am a hands on manager so finding time is difficult. This will really help me and get me started. Will download mine once completed. If you require anything else such as long term plans for your continous provision or Components such as a unique child etc then let me know I have completed those and will down load them if any one requires them.

Thanks Jo x :o

I know that a lot of people are at the moment not keen to share SEFs, and I am totally aware of how all settings are very very different. I also understand that people have put a lot of work into them and do not want them to be 'pinched' by other settings!!!! I am however struggling with some aspects of the SEF and would really like to see what other people have put even though it may not be entirely suitable for my setting. In a bid to encourage people to share what they have done so far I am posting my (incomplete) SEF for all to see. You can see which bits we are missing!!!!! And hopefully help me out with what I haven't done!!!!

I also don't mean to be anal, but if you don't want to share, please don't download what I am sharing!!!!

Thanks (fingers crossed) Zoe. xxx

xD Hi Zoe I had a decision over Easter Italy or SEF you can guess which won. So I have just 2 areas to compleate and A LOT OF TWEAKING to do. I have downloaded your SEF just to help me identify my weak areas.

When I have compleated mine and am happy with it I will share it. (Not too sure how to downlad it as I'm not very good on the computer. )

Caroline at the Extension :o

P.s To anyone who can not access it online. OFSTED were great helping me find mine, just give them a ring.

PPS I didn't get stuck abroad we had our holiday earlier than the rest of the country

• 1 month later...

I have just been asked for this by my HT.

Thank you all so much for your copies, once mine is completed I will download mine for others to look at.

sandra

sandrac you mention your HT so I am guessing that you are in a maintained setting? If so you will need to look at school SEF's as they are different from those in the PVI sector. This always seems to cause confusion as nursery is often called pre-school in maintained settings as well.

If I'm wrong about how you are set up ignore me :o

• 2 weeks later...
I know that a lot of people are at the moment not keen to share SEFs, and I am totally aware of how all settings are very very different. I also understand that people have put a lot of work into them and do not want them to be 'pinched' by other settings!!!! I am however struggling with some aspects of the SEF and would really like to see what other people have put even though it may not be entirely suitable for my setting. In a bid to encourage people to share what they have done so far I am posting my (incomplete) SEF for all to see. You can see which bits we are missing!!!!! And hopefully help me out with what I haven't done!!!!

I also don't mean to be anal, but if you don't want to share, please don't download what I am sharing!!!!

Hi Zoelat

The SEF form is great but one thing which may be helpful is if you look at the Setting from a Child's view. Our last Ofsted Inspector said she wanted our SEF to reflect 'what it is like for a child here' and examples put in our SEF e.g.

In c) The Extent to which children feel safe

................................................. beginning same as you but we added

Children learn about personal safety through activities and extensive input of staff. For example on the visits to the forest the children learn about safety boundaries. They learn it is safe to play in the forest as long as they do not go beyond the ‘red’ and ‘white’ tape. They are able to build on this knowledge which helps them to remember how to keep safe in other situations. This was demonstrated in our ‘Road Safety’ week when in their play they acted out various road safety situations and how to stay safe with the new road equipment we have bought.

In i) The effectiveness with which your setting deploys resources

As stated in 4(f) from April 2008 our pre-school has been involved in KCC’s ‘Thrilling Activities’ Project. This enables the children to visit a Forest School each month. This not only enhances their well-being and involvement but also improves all areas of their learning. We are enriching our children’s learning journey by visiting more outside areas within the Infant and Junior Schools and seeking out more natural resources.

I hope that makes some sense. I think she wanted for example not just a list of the safety measures and resources but a few sentences on how they impact on a child's journey.

J

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to you all for sharing your SEF's.

Am new to the forum (so please be kind) xD

I have been a registered childminder for nearly 12 years and boy!! have things changed!! :o

I am currently on a course run by my local authority for SEF training. Once I have completed my course, I shall endeavour to complete my SEF document and post on here. I am due an inspection any time now so really need to get it completed.

Hi Vickyred and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Of course we will be kind - looking forwarding to reading more posts from you! :o

Thanks Sunnyday. xx

• 3 weeks later...

Well the procrastination is finally over - so is the foundation degree (results pending :o ) and as I am now obviously v. bored and have absolutely nothing else to do :( I have finally submitted our online SEF.

My thanks to everyone who posted here as you have been inspirational in wording things in "just the right way" and for pointing me in the right direction.

In return I have attached my completed SEF for those of you who think it might help.

Obviously if you find anything glaringly wrong with mine please set me on the right track.

Thanks to one and all - thats one job off the "summer holiday" list (different post) and the summer holiday hasn't started yet.

SEF_for_SueJ.pdf

xD

Hi all,

Don't post on here much but always read all your comments with much interest - thank you.

Just wanted to post a word of warning - spent literally hours on my SEF and was really pleased with it, as was my LA advisory teacher......Mrs O visited last week, first question: do you have a SEF??!!! Couldn't believe it, after all my hard work she hadn't even looked at it before arriving.

And there was me thinking the SEF was the basis for the whole inspection? How wrong can you be?!

Cazzag

Hi, just wanted to let you know that we have just had our ofsted and was informed that we must involve parents, staff, children and committee in completing the SEF. I do not know how we are going to get all involved yet but we have to show this at our next ofsted. Hope this is helpful to those just starting theirs.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for sharing I am new to to this forum so am just finding my way around. We are still to complete ourSEF other things crop up ha ha I will post when finished. Hopefully will be able to work out how

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all

I am new in the forum

I am a childminder and about to start my SEF ,and until now I didnt had idea where to start

So I like to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you who share yours

I have some ideas how to start mine

:o

Ana

Hi, just wanted to let you know that we have just had our ofsted and was informed that we must involve parents, staff, children and committee in completing the SEF. I do not know how we are going to get all involved yet but we have to show this at our next ofsted. Hope this is helpful to those just starting theirs.

Oh, this makes me so CROSS. Do they not realise how much effort and time it takes to do the SEF, and how much stress it causes? Then they make these kind of comments, as though we don't have other, more important things to do.

I guess it would be things like asking the children what they like best about the setting, giving out parent questionnaires and using info from that in the SEF.

But let's hope they ditch the whole thing soon!

I guess it would be things like asking the children what they like about the setting

Yes but have you tried this?!!!

Child sitting playing with duplo. The wooden bricks are next to him (that you have never seen him look at- let alone play with).

You ask what he likes best- and he promptly names whatever happend to be in eyesight 'I like the wooden bricks' :oxD:(:(

Personally I think actually 'asking' the children is a little pointless. We're go about it in a different way and are putting what we 'know' children like best from our own observations.

Exactly! Why oh why do they have these pointless dictats, can't we evaluate ourselves without involving everyone. Soon they will be wanting to know what your auntie's cousin's window cleaner thinks of your setting.

I did the SEF.....Im a parent, done some work there (staff) and a child at heart :oxD:(

Must admit the school club sef was probably easier than the pre-school one as we actually sat the children down to do a questionnaire plus parents have done one. This made it easy to refer to.

Hiya ladies, thank you so much this is such an interesting thread.

I'm not in charge of completing the SEF but I have made notes for my Manager (I'm the Deputy) which I'll post below:

I) How well do you promote inclusive practice?

• Observations of the children’s development allow experiences to be tailored to provide appropriate challenge for all children

• Creative work by all children is displayed and celebrated.

• We ensure that all children are able to access the technology, observing any difficulties they may have and making adaptations in response.

• We feel it is important to include resources which reflect a variety of cultures, for example stories set around the world or dual language books. Class books showing photographs of the children playing help them to develop a sense of belonging.

• We tell stories using props, masks and story sacks and support the children to do so, enabling children with different learning styles.

• We display key vocabulary in languages spoken by the children in the setting. We include examples of writing in different languages, including those spoken by children in the setting.

• Musical Activities include examples of music and musical instruments from a range of cultures for the children to choose from. (Carla to collect more CD’s) Parents are invited to share examples of music that their child enjoys at home.

• Practitioners support the children to talk about their preferences for different types of music and show respect for each other’s preferences. (Music in the setting overall is area for improvement) Listening Station please

• Role play areas include resources and scenarios which reflect a variety of cultures.

• Photographs of the children playing in the role play area help them to develop a sense of belonging. (in development Carla to action)

• We work in partnership with physiotherapists and occupational therapists to provide time and opportunities for children with physical disabilities or motor impairments to develop their skills.

• We create opportunities that help children to become aware of, explore and question issues of differences in gender, ethnicity, language, religion and culture, and of special educational needs and disability issues. (Needs improvement)

• We model language conventions associated with different situations and respond sensitively to social conventions used at home.

• We provide supplementary experiences and information for children with sensory impairment. (Makaton/PECS needs improvement)

• We work in partnership with bilingual workers, speech therapists and practitioners where appropriate.

• We provide positive images in, for example, books and displays that challenge children's thinking and help them to embrace differences in gender, ethnicity, religion, special educational needs and disabilities (e.g. Handa’s Surprise, Children around the world, My world your world, Topsy and Tim, I want to be a cowgirl, Celebrating Festivals - Christmas, Holi, Kwanza, Hanukkah, Eid, Ramadan) (a review of books would be beneficial)

• We plan opportunities for all children to become aware of languages and writing systems other than English and communication systems such as signing and Braille. (needs improvement)

• We know where to access help to provide support for children who are learning English as an additional language to develop and understand mathematical language. (The English Language Support Team, Evelyn Street Community Primary School , Evelyn Street, Warrington, WA5 1BD

Tel / Fax: 01925 411 886) ???

• We provide support to achieve the successful personal, social and emotional development of vulnerable children and those with particular behavioural or communication difficulties.(Keyperson – EYFS Advisory Consultant etc.)

:o Helping children to stay safe

• The outdoor area is subject to regular risk assessments.

• Children are taught to use equipment and resources safely.

• We carry out regular risk assessments to ensure that construction equipment is safe. We talk to the children about ways of using the construction equipment safely e.g. how high is too high to build the tower?

• Adults model how one handed tools such as scissors and knives can be used effectively and safely through play with malleable materials. ICT equipment is set up safely, with no dangling wires or uncovered sockets.

• The children are involved in creating rules for the safe use of equipment in the sand and water area. (Carla to plan, implement discussion then display rules in this area) Practitioners ensure that the area is kept safe by regular checks e.g. sweeping split sand and mopping water up.

• The Library area includes books about everyday events, which can be discussed to help the children understand who they can trust and how to stay safe. Books are freely accessible to allow the children to make decisions about their use.

• We are aware that engaging in musical activities can enhance children’s feelings of competence, confidence and strength.

• Practitioners play a vital role in building the children’s confidence to take manageable risks in their play in the Outdoor area.

• The role play area gives the children opportunities to rehearse real-life situations, giving them greater confidence to tackle situations that may arise in the future.

• Children can make choices about what they would like to have for snack. Practitioners support the children to access the area as needed. Practitioners maintain the hygiene of the food and equipment in the Snack bararea and support the children’s hygiene.

c) helping children to be healthy

• Children wash their hands before snack/lunch and after going to the toilet or being involved in messy activities. They understand that we can’t see germs but they can be spread and are encouraged in using and disposing of tissues and covering their mouth when coughing.

• Healthy eating is given a high profile in the preschool. As part of our everyday routine, children are eating fruit and drinking water.

• Eating is promoted as an enjoyable activity, as well as one that contributes to good health. We are very proud of our snack bar, it is open for most of the session and children know they can eat “when their tummies are hungry”. We feel that our role is to develop children’s ability to make informed food choices. The eating habits of individuals and families is acknowledged and respected. Parents are asked for information about their child’s dietary requirements and any food preferences and this information is made known to all staff.

• Our aim is to promote an understanding of a balance diet in which some foods play a greater role than others. We realise that it can be difficult to persuade children to eat healthily, so we give lots of praise to children who choose to eat fruit and vegetables at the snack bar and stickers to those who bring and eat them at our Lunch Club.

• The staff have decided that it is important for the children to be able to:

• name a range of different foods

• understand that like foods can be grouped, for example, as fruit or vegetables

• appreciate that foods in the same group have different characteristics such as tastes

• express their likes and dislikes

• begin to understand that different foods come in a variety of different forms.

• We recognise that our Snack bar provides a wealth of learning opportunities, for example counting fruit, problem solving, engaging in conversation, improving fine motor skills and developing independence.

• The children can develop their physical skills by moving to music. There are opportunities to engage with music both indoors and outdoors.

• After physical exertion we discuss the effects on the body why physical exercise is important.

• We provide resources that can be used in an open ended way as well as equipment to support the development of specific skills.

• We promote health awareness by talking to the children about eating, exercise, sleep and hygiene and supporting them to care for themselves during the session.

• We plan for the development of independence skills, particularly for children who are highly dependent upon adult support for personal care.

• We support the children to learn about looking after themselves in different weathers by providing free flow access to the outdoor area.

• In hot weather, additional provision is made for the children to access drinking water in a seated, shady area outside.

• We offer role play opportunities both indoors and outdoors. We support the children to interact with each other.

• Visits from the local health service help to teach the children about health and hygiene. (Carla to invite local educational Health officer/doctor (parent))

Hi Carla thanks so much for posting your notes

Thats very nice of you .

Ana

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)