Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Excitement!

sunnyday

We finish on Friday. We have 3 birthdays this week too, but managed to get 2 done together today! Thankfully, finished up christmas craft stuff last week so can lavish much attention on the little darlings as we can all week long.

:(xD:(

With the high winds factoring in, I reckon ours are at least a 15!!!

Oh no - more wind? :o Oh not you personally - I'm talking weather conditions :(

Ours have been pleasantly excited today, and as we are provoking the excitement with our provision I think that's fair.

I used a provocation I read in the December issue of the EYE magazine which suggested covering a large box in wrapping paper, denting a corner or two to make it look like it had been dropped (from a very high height), add a lable but tear it so that you cannot see who the parcel was from or who it is to.

Let the children find the parcel, but not open it, and ask them how they thought it got there, who was it for and who was it from, then what should we do about it.

It ended up that we thought it had been dropped by Father Christmas out of his bulging sleigh, when children said they thought we should open it I reminded them that we didn't know who it was intended for, eventually a couple of boys wrote to FC, posted the letter in our magic post box, and lo and behold not 10 minutes later FC phoned our setting himself. Apparently that parcel (it had its own tracking number) was intended for a little boy in the next town but because our children had done the right thing and tried to find out who it belonged to, they could keep the parcel. The children then ripped the paper off to find a lovely new book and they listened to every word as we read the story of 'Santas Special Letter. Priceless!

So I think their excitement was at level 10!

Oh what a lovely, lovely activity!! I'm definitely going to use that,Can I? I think it's a wonderful idea.

Oh please do lynned55, I posted this because I thought it might inspire others, I know I always love gleaning wonderful suggestions for activities from the FSF.

On Thursday we're going to dress up a large puppet as an elf who is lost and doesn't know who they are, the only clues are in their suitcase which contains tinsel, elf costume (which I have yet to magic up), candy canes, a list of present requests and a list of names, and anything relating to Christmas maybe a hammer or drill for making presents, that sort of thing. The children will be asked to help find out who the puppet is, what they're doing in our setting and find a way of getting him/her back to .........

• 9 months later...

Well, almost time to bring this one out for an airing eh!

Well I started reading this open-mouthed.............then realised it was not started today :o:D ::1a

........athough have to admit I'm already getting a bit excited- and that's just for home :1b :1b :1b :1b (love, love, love christmas)

• Like 2

No! I really thought someone had gone crazy when I read the title. We've got my birthday, Halloween, Dara O'Briain, Twickenham and hubby's birthday on Dec 14th before I need to think about Christmas! :ph34r:

• Like 2

Cait, its far, far, far too early. December 1st will be quite soon enough.

I did hear on the radio last week that a Christmas tree had been spotted, complete with decorations though! Much as I love my Christmas tree, too early is just depressing

:o :o Maz said the 'N' word :ph34r:

Oh dear. You can tell I don't work with children any more! Please accept my most humble apologies, Cait.

Can I get off the chair now? I promise I've learned my lesson. :(

Oh dear. You can tell I don't work with children any more! Please accept my most humble apologies, Cait.

Can I get off the chair now? I promise I've learned my lesson. :(

Maz you may get off the chair - Cait needs to get on it now and reflect on her behaviour - honestly she knows I'm easily confused :blink:

• Like 2

I have to hold my hand up and say that i have got in the mail today the YPO christmas book and when I opened it I got all excited and did a little dance when I showed it to staff and informed them that I would be having a look over the weekend to decide what we need to buy. Sorry but I think Christmas in setting is the best time of year for staff and children :D