Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Half-term week- but not Friday!

louby loo

26 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

We have been out - woohoo!

Needed to buy compost, Mr S stayed in the car while I whipped through a large garden centre at the speed of light - no browsing (nearly killed me, I do like a browse!) - just straight to the tills and out again - all felt very safe

I'm about to go out too!   I'm meeting someone at 2pm  in the hospital carp-park to collect something she has for me :).  I feel like a naughty person 🤣

To be fair she had to go to the hospital for a blood test, and I'm saving her from going 3 (6) miles out of her way though. :) 

I have just finished two weeks worth of planning and resource making (all except a couple of videos).  I'm hoping that it will give me a little breathing space in the next couple of weeks as we have IEP reviews.  I have the majority of my class (2/3) in school but I still have to do the same amount of prep for remote learning and all the same 'marking' regardless of whether they're in or out of school.

Still, it's done now - I'm treating myself to pizza (and brownies of course) and a cup of tea!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Panders said:

Badger arrived with the brownies, thank you - he didn't have any tea bread though, said there had been lots muttering  about  plans and videos 

Fraud so - I had a lie in this morning but it’s on this weekend’s list...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/02/2021 at 11:09, Froglet said:

Really? I didn’t know you could cut them back? How?! I always feel guilty about chucking them when I buy a new one each year.

Yes.  You’ll find some great instructions on the interthingmebob.  They look a bit sad for a few days but then have lots of lovely leaves sprouting everywhere.  

• Like 1

On 19/02/2021 at 13:44, finleysmaid said:

🐟 carp park ! where fish go to bait?

Our shopping centre in Scarborough has a voice thingy in the lift that says “lower carp ark”. So I just assumed you’d been there.   We always refer to car parks as carp arks now, because of that.  And garden centres are always ‘garden thendurs” because of someone on tv. 🤭😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cait said:

Our shopping centre in Scarborough has a voice thingy in the lift that says “lower carp ark”. So I just assumed you’d been there.   We always refer to car parks as carp arks now, because of that.  And garden centres are always ‘garden thendurs” because of someone on tv. 🤭😂

coming from a family of dyslexics we have par carks, basghetti (spaghetti ) lemons (melons) and some interesting versions of more complex words...my MIL swears she does not have dyslexia but is for ever using malapropisms 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cait said:

Yes.  You’ll find some great instructions on the interthingmebob.  They look a bit sad for a few days but then have lots of lovely leaves sprouting everywhere.  

Much better advice than my 'oh I would just chuck it' 😂

Beautiful day here - think I should move my backside and do some garden tidying

• Like 1

3 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

coming from a family of dyslexics we have par carks, basghetti (spaghetti ) lemons (melons) and some interesting versions of more complex words...my MIL swears she does not have dyslexia but is for ever using malapropisms 😂

WE had " can I have the palaver for dessert"  and Gatport Airwick, certainly had basghetti

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Panders said:

Crikey spoilt for choice there  - just have to try both 😋😋

I've just put a slice in the post to you.  I confirm it is tasty although Mr Hollywood would almost certainly tell me it was under or over proved or cooked (i.e. it's a little squishy in the middle!

Aww fabulous! 

my son and daughter in law are both PhD graduates and have taken home schooling very seriously.  My granddaughter is in P1 (reception) and has been working with them at a very high level, in my opinion.   She’s been programming robots and doing loads of literacy and numeracy.  I have sent things for her to do which are more fun- based, that she has really enjoyed.  A particular favourite was to hide cards with the alphabet in capital letters around the house and she had to find them and match them to a set of lower case letters.  
She also enjoyed ‘magic tens’

4353AD88-739D-4E1C-8D4E-849D8BA8A59B.jpeg

Edited by Cait
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Cait said:

Aww fabulous! 

my son and daughter in law are both PhD graduates and have taken home schooling very seriously.  My granddaughter is in P1 (reception) and has been working with them at a very high level, in my opinion.   She’s been programming robots and doing loads of literacy and numeracy.  I have sent things for her to do which are more fun- based, that she has really enjoyed.  A particular favourite was to hide cards with the alphabet in capital letters around the house and she had to find them and match them to a set of lower case letters.  
She also enjoyed ‘magic tens’

4353AD88-739D-4E1C-8D4E-849D8BA8A59B.jpeg

I feel for all of the children Cait, some could become quite bored going back because they have progressed so well because of the 1:1 nature of their learning and are achieving more than others who have been carrying on steadily or so - it's going to be a tough time for teachers "sorting" them all out and keeping them all fulfilled and happy on their return.

4 hours ago, Panders said:

I feel for all of the children Cait, some could become quite bored going back because they have progressed so well because of the 1:1 nature of their learning and are achieving more than others who have been carrying on steadily or so - it's going to be a tough time for teachers "sorting" them all out and keeping them all fulfilled and happy on their return.

Wish us luck although interestingly we were all saying the same in September and it didn’t really happen - or at least I didn’t feel that I needed to sort children any more than usual. What I did notice though (as did other teachers I know in several different schools) was how little independence any of them had - even the most able simply couldn’t do a thing without checking ‘What do I do next?’ Also lots of issues with ‘readiness to learn’ in terms of focus, listening, attention, manners etc 

4 hours ago, Panders said:

It really is! Juggling and differentiating is going to take on an additional level!  I really feel for the teachers trying to sort out where everyone is in their learning.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Froglet said:

Wish us luck although interestingly we were all saying the same in September and it didn’t really happen - or at least I didn’t feel that I needed to sort children any more than usual. What I did notice though (as did other teachers I know in several different schools) was how little independence any of them had - even the most able simply couldn’t do a thing without checking ‘What do I do next?’ Also lots of issues with ‘readiness to learn’ in terms of focus, listening, attention, manners etc 

That’s really interesting about the independence.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Froglet said:

Ahh yes, Froglet  I can see how that could happen, especially with the 6 year old in our family, she's really only had two terms at the most in school, and she is the youngest and sort of "kept" the youngest independence wise, generally impeccable manners though.   So many issues for you all to cope with upon return.

9 minutes ago, Panders said:

Ahh yes, Froglet  I can see how that could happen, especially with the 6 year old in our family, she's really only had two terms at the most in school, and she is the youngest and sort of "kept" the youngest independence wise, generally impeccable manners though.   So many issues for you all to cope with upon return.

We found it happening with the children who’d been in school too - we came to the conclusion that it was because they had been in much smaller groups and  had school staff ‘on’ them much more. The manners in my case was (and still is) mostly about not interrupting. I think we decided that was probably because they’d had a lot of 1 to 1 at home so just weren’t used to waiting for their turn to talk.

It’s fascinating and I will be really interested to read any research about it in years to come.  Although hard to do - anything about independence would be anecdotal and I really don’t know how you’d measure it. Plus we haven’t got a ‘before’ to compare with.

I wonder if resilience might be affected longer term. For the children in my class who are lucky enough to have parents who supported them with remote learning their parents, of course, want them to ‘get it right’ but this has also meant that they sometimes help too soon. We all know how hard it can to patiently watch and wait while a child figures something out or to give the right nudge at the right time but oh the look on their faces and their pride when they sort it for themselves.

• Like 3