Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Half-term week- but not Friday!

louby loo

On 22/02/2021 at 18:24, Cait said:

That’s really interesting about the independence.   

I think they’ve spent all day in their pj’s, changing for PE is going to take forever!

I think the children who have been in schools will also need support ...they are used to having the school to themselves, all that space,  lots of teacher attention and formed new relationships that may be blown out of the water when the previous ‘besty’ rocks back up at school ...a lot for both sides to adjust too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

I think they’ve spent all day in their pj’s, changing for PE is going to take forever!

I think the children who have been in schools will also need support ...they are used to having the school to themselves, all that space,  lots of teacher attention and formed new relationships that may be blown out of the water when the previous ‘besty’ rocks back up at school ...a lot for both sides to adjust too.

Definitely! Although I would say that on the whole the children in school have coped well with the restrictions on space, hand washing etc etc. the relationship with peers is skewed and I foresee lots of friendship work! We have been doing regular zoom meetings for the whole class which have been a mixed blessing - lovely to see and connect with those they aren’t next to you in person but on the other hand some of my ‘at home’ children became upset because the call emphasised that they weren’t with friends who were in school. One of my in school children became upset because it highlighted that some children were at home with their mummies/daddies and she would rather have been there. She asked her mum why she couldn’t stop working for the NHS so that she could stay at home. A couple of days later she did bounce in and tell me she was glad she was in school even though she missed her friends because her mum was a terrible teacher!

• Like 2

Yes, I feel we may have a 'Magnificent Seven' problem when the rest come back. We have seven boys all with strong characters that have been with us throughout. They are actually a nice bunch and have bonded  really well together -absolutely no behaviour issues with them. However I feel when the rest of the boys come back we could have a few problems with friendships as these 7 have all been in different friendship group previously.

We have a few girls, one of which has benefited hugely being one of a max of 8 children per day, and I'm not sure how she will cope if/when the other 18 turn up!

• Like 1

When are peoples term dates for Easter?         We finish 26th March - 12th April.

Just had a member of staff's daughter telling me I've got it wrong!😂  ( I haven't !!).  Turns out she's a hairdresser and as she can start back to work the 12th, she wanted her mum to do  a full week of childcare.       Her school dates are different to ours.

I even had to send her a photo with the LA logo  and dates proving I was correct! 😳🤣.   Seems she's not happy with me...

We're sort of tucked in a corner and  directly border two other LA's.

To be honest it not that much of a problem, as we work over ratio anyway. But after the staff member being fully paid since Jan and actually working less than 50% hours I'm not just saying 'it's fine, no problem... have the week off', and I'm certainly not being dictated to by the daugher.     

We have time, and we'll work something out, but I was a bit shocked.

We finish Thursday 1st April and back 19th April.

I am really confused with our term dates as funding is only 11 weeks but we are open 11 weeks 4 days, we sometimes have the last week of spring funding included in the summer funding but it seems not this year and the end of summer won’t be until 23rd July to fit in the 13 summer funding weeks....which seems late to me 🙈

2 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

We finish Thursday 1st April and back 19th April.

I am really confused with our term dates as funding is only 11 weeks but we are open 11 weeks 4 days, we sometimes have the last week of spring funding included in the summer funding but it seems not this year and the end of summer won’t be until 23rd July to fit in the 13 summer funding weeks....which seems late to me 🙈

To be honest when I was updating the registered during the half-term I did them up to 1st April,  I was quite shocked when I checked and it was the week before.

Our other border LA is the same as us.  

I am wondering if it is linked to the start of Ramadan this year 12th April.  The later holiday is a Greater London LA with a higher ethnicity community than us? (if that's the correct terminology )

11 hours ago, louby loo said:

To be honest when I was updating the registered during the half-term I did them up to 1st April,  I was quite shocked when I checked and it was the week before.

I think many of our area setting are now in the same predicament, I may just work through with dates I already had (finish Thurs 1st) and still finish 16th July .....sorry Gov I just presumed it was the same as the last couple of years 🙈

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

I think many of our area setting are now in the same predicament, I may just work through with dates I already had (finish Thurs 1st) and still finish 16th July .....sorry Gov I just presumed it was the same as the last couple of years 🙈

Our LA announce the dates between which the weeks can be funded, but it's up to us to ensure we just do the correct number of weeks, and chose our own start/finish dates. We finish 16th July for the summer.

Actually thinking back,  last year they did let us use a summer week in the spring term as long as we made the parents aware it would class as stretched funding. We finished a week early in Summer.     Well- bit of a moot point really...  as we never actually opened for the summer term!  

• Like 1