Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

June 1st is everyone prepared to re-open (coronavirus topic)

bizzylizzy

I am just wondering how those of you that closed due to coronavirus are feeling about re-opening on the 1st June. I am stressing so much about what to do for the best. I have so far only written notes with regard to writing policy and procedures about how I will keep the children safe. I really can’t see how I can do social distancing at all, we run from a village Hall, so only one room. So far our LA (Kent) have given us no guidance what so ever,  we have been told due have a document, once we have digested it we will give you some guidance, not very helpful. Do we have to provide PPE for staff even though we have been told (dfe doc) that we don’t need it, what else will we need to supply, I like many others are insured with Morton Michel, they have stated we are not covered if some contracts the illness at the setting. This is so much pressure on us as managers and employers. Has anyone had staff say they will not return to work yet, if so do you still furlough them or no pay? 🤯 Really don’t know what to do for the best. Has anyone written a policy or procedure document that they would be happy to share. If not thoughts, ideas etc please, I need to know I’m not the only one stressing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi, I am just in the process of writing a list (very long one) of all the stuff I will need to do before opening, I am giving myself until either 8th or 15th June (1st June is way too early) - my list already has 16 points including re-writing policies, cleaning, rearranging rooms, training staff, storing of soft furnishing (cushions for example) etc etc.

As yet no staff have said they won't be returning but I haven't really given them a date when we might be - I've just emailed all my parents to see how many want to return in June.

If anyone does come up with policies etc that would be great!

Good luck all.x

• Like 2

My initial uptake is quite low which suits me, I am aiming for 1.6.2020, it seems to have mainly be based on whether any siblings are in the school classes opening, I’m thinking if keeping staff to a minimum rather than using more staff for less time but I obviously have to discuss with them and it would mean a couple could remain furloughed (those with own young chn), this would help as I don’t feel comfortable with charging parents even though it is their choice not to bring them back.

I’ve only got scribbled thoughts so far on how it might work and what I think needs to be considered but so far it’s 

-grouping of chn

-staff questionnaires on returning to work

-limiting resources, removing dressing up/soft toys/furnishing/play foods

-arrival/collection times - distancing/only one parent/possibly staggered when numbers increase

-no adults other than staff in setting  (inc parents/visitors)

-hygiene procedures - hand washing, resource cleaning

-PPE when close contact routines are necessary - nappy changing, ill child in setting

-and everything else I’ve forgotten :-/

bizzylizzy - are you in any of the FB manager groups? I’ve seen a couple of useful risk assessments and a policy in files there and you’re not on your own, we’re all in the same place 😕

• Like 2

Hi Mouseketeer, Spiceye,

thank you for responding.

I am worried about grouping of children as I am in a hall, one room only and small garden. I too have been making a list, pretty much the same as your, no soft furnishings, no dressing up, also no malleable etc. Obviously extra PPE for changing and illness. I haven’t actually asked staff/parents about returning yet, that’s on my to do list. Also I am paying all my staff 80% and can only claim 20% for furlough, not sure where that leaves me when returning! The only FB site I am on is Champagne nurseries for lemonade funding. I haven’t even thought of re-writing Policies😫 I am just feeling so stressed out. 😫

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Hi bizzylizzy - good to chat with a fellow 'Kenter' - I too am extremely disappointed with lack of support that we are being given

I agree this is all so stressful

Do check out the thread that anju has sign posted above

• Like 1

This is what I have so far bombarded my families with but I have also told them things are changing as the info drips out as to what we are being expected to offer and the H&S advice......it's all a bit emperor's new clothes....

---------------------------------------------

We are still waiting for details and working on strategies but if we are able to open in June then there will be certain changes to our procedures and regulations ( we have not yet had the go ahead on this from either the local early years department nor the local parish council)
....small children en masse are not able to keep at a social distance and those who have worked throughout with key children in day nurseries have not adapted their work in this way...it just is not possible!
If the next phase goes to plan then these are some of the things we are considering to ensure the safety of your children, yourselves, your loved ones at home, other parents and of course staff...they are not yet written in stone and of course if the R rate goes higher then we may well find that lockdown continues
Things we are considering; pre allotted timed /staged drop off and collections from 9 am until 9-30 (12 - 12-30); NO PARKING outside the front of the building (except for staff in allocated spaces) which might compromise peoples ability to socially distance whilst waiting to go in; A one way entry system via the left hand pathway to the rear of the hall with markings to ensure 2mtr spacing; child to be handed to a member of staff at the rear door (who will take them and wash their hands and then deliver them one at a time to the garden);Parents will leave the drop off zone via the steps to the Dr's carpark so that they do not need to pass others waiting to drop off; Children will be outdoors all day unless they are using the bathroom regardless of the weather; parents on collection will likewise use the left hand path be let through the gate one at a time to collect their child and exit via the other gate so that again they do not pass others waiting to collect;Parents will be individually responsible for ensuring that their own child/ren behave and follow the markings till entry and after exit;
Children who develop a temperature at any time at home or in setting will not be allowed in for 14 days (we have thermometers on hand to check temps; Children will not be admitted if they have had Calpol or similar medication which might mask symptoms (parents will be asked to sign a form to confirm that they will comply with this new emergency policy); Children with family members who are self isolating cannot attend for a period of 14 days from the point at which no member of the household is self isolating;
Drop off and collection times will be set in stone..so no early drops and no late collections and if parents continually breach either the social distance or are unable to be punctual they will be asked to not attend in order to protect those who are complying; We reserve the right to close with limited or no notice in the event that a member of staff or attending child develops symptoms; we may consider rolling out our return starting with the children who are starting school in Sept, then three year old's and then latterly 2 year old's to ensure our procedures are working, that everyone is staying safe and to iron out any unexpected problems
if we have to make any changes to these procedures in due course we shall inform you via this page and of course as parents you are entirely within your rights to choose not to send your child into pre-school until you feel safe.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, enuffsenuf said:

This is what I have so far bombarded my families with but I have also told them things are changing as the info drips out as to what we are being expected to offer and the H&S advice......it's all a bit emperor's new clothes....

We are still waiting for details and working on strategies but if we are able to open in June then there will be certain changes to our procedures and regulations ( we have not yet had the go ahead on this from either the local early years department nor the local parish council)
....small children en masse are not able to keep at a social distance and those who have worked throughout with key children in day nurseries have not adapted their work in this way...it just is not possible!
If the next phase goes to plan then these are some of the things we are considering to ensure the safety of your children, yourselves, your loved ones at home, other parents and of course staff...they are not yet written in stone and of course if the R rate goes higher then we may well find that lockdown continues
Things we are considering; pre allotted timed /staged drop off and collections from 9 am until 9-30 (12 - 12-30); NO PARKING outside the front of the building (except for staff in allocated spaces) which might compromise peoples ability to socially distance whilst waiting to go in; A one way entry system via the left hand pathway to the rear of the hall with markings to ensure 2mtr spacing; child to be handed to a member of staff at the rear door (who will take them and wash their hands and then deliver them one at a time to the garden);Parents will leave the drop off zone via the steps to the Dr's carpark so that they do not need to pass others waiting to drop off; Children will be outdoors all day unless they are using the bathroom regardless of the weather; parents on collection will likewise use the left hand path be let through the gate one at a time to collect their child and exit via the other gate so that again they do not pass others waiting to collect;Parents will be individually responsible for ensuring that their own child/ren behave and follow the markings till entry and after exit;
Children who develop a temperature at any time at home or in setting will not be allowed in for 14 days (we have thermometers on hand to check temps; Children will not be admitted if they have had Calpol or similar medication which might mask symptoms (parents will be asked to sign a form to confirm that they will comply with this new emergency policy); Children with family members who are self isolating cannot attend for a period of 14 days from the point at which no member of the household is self isolating;
Drop off and collection times will be set in stone..so no early drops and no late collections and if parents continually breach either the social distance or are unable to be punctual they will be asked to not attend in order to protect those who are complying; We reserve the right to close with limited or no notice in the event that a member of staff or attending child develops symptoms; we may consider rolling out our return starting with the children who are starting school in Sept, then three year old's and then latterly 2 year old's to ensure our procedures are working, that everyone is staying safe and to iron out any unexpected problems
if we have to make any changes to these procedures in due course we shall inform you via this page and of course as parents you are entirely within your rights to choose not to send your child into pre-school until you feel safe.

That looks brilliant to me.  A well written piece.   

• Like 1

Hi Sunnyday, glad there is someone else from Kent.  I emailed my suffiency officer on Monday asking for clearer clarification on what we need to do, I was basically told that the dfe had published their document (50 pages) and that once they had read and digested it we would receive some kind of response, I’m still waiting. Enuffsenuf, that is great, thank you for sharing. I’m going to start contacting parents tomorrow to see how they feel about the children returning, but worry if no one wants to return yet, will I still receive funding? Oh so much to stress over! 

21 hours ago, enuffsenuf said:

Brilliant! I have something similar but still a working draft. 

19 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Good work enuffsenuf :-) are you asking parents to to sign an agreement based on it? 

I'm going to tell mine they need to reply with ‘AGREED’ otherwise their child won’t be attending. 

• Like 2

This is what I sent last week to 38 families

The government are now saying we can begin to make plans for opening  from June 1st. Before we make this decision we will need to make the preschool as safe as we possibly can not just for your children but for staff as well.  We know that in the current climate we can never make anywhere 100% ‘safe’ but will do all we can to minimise the risks, before we can finalise any plans we need to know how many of you will be returning your children to us.

To help you make this decision please read these government guidelines issued for parents and carers. Following the new government guidelines that have now been issued to us we will do our best to ‘social distance’ but as we all know with our age group this can be almost impossible.

To help us with this:

·      To start: we will be opening for mornings only 9:15 -12:15 with no lunches.

·      To start: we will only be opening to children that are going to school in September

·      Parents will not be allowed under any circumstances into the group even into the foyer. If you think your child will not settle with this procedure we would advise not bringing them

·      If your child attends another setting we would ask you to send them to us or them. This sounds harsh but this is to minimise the risk of infection for all.

Some of the above will be changed from week to week (for example if we find we can safely function with the numbers we have then we will extend to younger children after the first couple of weeks) However we reserve the right for any decisions we make to be reversed (or added to) and subject to change at a moments notice.

There will obviously be lots more information and guidance to come from us before June. The above are the main ones that may help you in making this decision. Unfortunately life is now very different for all of us and Preschools are not going to be the same for a long time if ever. Please be aware that the children may not be spending time with their friends or choosing who to play with. Guidance we have is that as far as possible we try to keep them in the same small groups (max of 6) with the same adult- each session and throughout the session. They will then be apart from the other groups. This may not be possible but we are doing our best to work out a system for this as it is deemed the best way to try to minimise the risks of infection.

Please let me have your decision by 5 pm Thursday evening. I know this does not give you much time but we have lots to plan and sort and until we know our numbers cannot start to make them. I understand that some of you will be unsure and that’s fine, you can say that as well. Please be aware though that government are saying us opening is conditional and plans could all be for nothing!!

Please tell us:         My child will be returning                   My child will not be returning          I’m not sure

So I've had 2 not sure's, 14 yes, and 2 no. The rest haven't bothered to answer- We have 23 going to school and out the 14 that say they will come back only 6 are going to school. 

I think now I will send something out saying no one else can return now until beginning of July as we have set our groups. 

image.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lynned55 said:

So I've had 2 not sure's, 14 yes, and 2 no. The rest haven't bothered to answer- We have 23 going to school and out the 14 that say they will come back only 6 are going to school. 

I think now I will send something out saying no one else can return now until beginning of July as we have set our groups. 

I’ve had 9 or 10 not bothered answering, I’m going with my initial 8 yes (5 -7 a day), 3 full days, 1 group/2 staff for 2 weeks, see how we go and open up to more following that. I have 3 staff I could use (not furloughed) so not sure whether to bring them all in, have 2 with the group, 1 spare (can clean etc) and be ready to be the next bubble staff.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2020 at 16:15, lynned55 said:

The government are now saying we can begin to make plans for opening  from June 1st. Before we make this decision we will need to make the preschool as safe as we possibly can not just for your children but for staff as well.  We know that in the current climate we can never make anywhere 100% ‘safe’ but will do all we can to minimise the risks, before we can finalise any plans we need to know how many of you will be returning your children to us.

To help you make this decision please read these government guidelines issued for parents and carers. Following the new government guidelines that have now been issued to us we will do our best to ‘social distance’ but as we all know with our age group this can be almost impossible.

To help us with this:

·      To start: we will be opening for mornings only 9:15 -12:15 with no lunches.

·      To start: we will only be opening to children that are going to school in September

·      Parents will not be allowed under any circumstances into the group even into the foyer. If you think your child will not settle with this procedure we would advise not bringing them

·      If your child attends another setting we would ask you to send them to us or them. This sounds harsh but this is to minimise the risk of infection for all.

Some of the above will be changed from week to week (for example if we find we can safely function with the numbers we have then we will extend to younger children after the first couple of weeks) However we reserve the right for any decisions we make to be reversed (or added to) and subject to change at a moments notice.

There will obviously be lots more information and guidance to come from us before June. The above are the main ones that may help you in making this decision. Unfortunately life is now very different for all of us and Preschools are not going to be the same for a long time if ever. Please be aware that the children may not be spending time with their friends or choosing who to play with. Guidance we have is that as far as possible we try to keep them in the same small groups (max of 6) with the same adult- each session and throughout the session. They will then be apart from the other groups. This may not be possible but we are doing our best to work out a system for this as it is deemed the best way to try to minimise the risks of infection.

Please let me have your decision by 5 pm Thursday evening. I know this does not give you much time but we have lots to plan and sort and until we know our numbers cannot start to make them. I understand that some of you will be unsure and that’s fine, you can say that as well. Please be aware though that government are saying us opening is conditional and plans could all be for nothing!!

Please tell us:         My child will be returning                   My child will not be returning          I’m not sure

image.png

I am trying to go with just those leaving for school and thought that was all sorted but now having an argument with a parent of a two year old insisting her child has now been assessed as 'vulnerable' on SEN grounds (he hasn't got an EHC plan, nor is one being drafted unless it's without my knowledge.) She's managed to get a place at a different nursery until we reopen (I only found this out last week when I contacted all parents about possible reopening. The child dribbles, puts things in his mouth and has asthma. I despair. This is messing up all my plans and staffing. I've asked for the HV to contact me and I'm going to argue the toss but don't know if I can say no. 

On 17/05/2020 at 16:15, lynned55 said:

To help us with this:

image.png

Great letter btw Lynne and my briefer messages to parents are very similar in content 

Anju- I'd be inclined to say no. Why does she not keep her where she is? Surely she would be better off there.

As far as I am aware nothing has been done in our borough. No speech therapy and def no EHC Plans. We were waiting for an Ed psych visit for one of ours, waiting on a decision on an EHC for another but have heard nothing. So not sure how parent could have had her assessed. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, anju said:

I am trying to go with just those leaving for school and thought that was all sorted but now having an argument with a parent of a two year old insisting her child has now been assessed as 'vulnerable' on SEN grounds (he hasn't got an EHC plan, nor is one being drafted unless it's without my knowledge.) She's managed to get a place at a different nursery until we reopen (I only found this out last week when I contacted all parents about possible reopening. The child dribbles, puts things in his mouth and has asthma. I despair. This is messing up all my plans and staffing. I've asked for the HV to contact me and I'm going to argue the toss but don't know if I can say no. 

They are not vulnerable until they have a diagnosis and and EHC plan (unless they have a 'section' order). If he's been at another nursery then he will be in their 'bubble' personally i would be saying no just on the asthma ! but anyway he should be having a break of 14 days from one bubble to another really . You are in charge of this...you cannot please all of the people all of the time! 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, lynned55 said:

Anju- I'd be inclined to say no. Why does she not keep her where she is? Surely she would be better off there.

As far as I am aware nothing has been done in our borough. No speech therapy and def no EHC Plans. We were waiting for an Ed psych visit for one of ours, waiting on a decision on an EHC for another but have heard nothing. So not sure how parent could have had her assessed. 

Thank you - apparently we are much better for him than anywhere else 🙄

we won’t be allowing visitors to start with anyway, whether they are speech therapists or whatever 

4 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

They are not vulnerable until they have a diagnosis and and EHC plan (unless they have a 'section' order). If he's been at another nursery then he will be in their 'bubble' personally i would be saying no just on the asthma ! but anyway he should be having a break of 14 days from one bubble to another really . You are in charge of this...you cannot please all of the people all of the time! 

Thank you so much; I really appreciate the reassurance; you end up feeling pressurised when you know what’s unsafe in your own setting’s circumstances ☹️ I was thinking the same about a 14 day quarantine. I will wait to hear from the health visitor who decided the child was vulnerable and I will stand my ground and see how I get on. 

• Like 3

I’ve decided not to open til June 8th at the earliest due to no sign of the early years guidance, no reply from the insurance company and a general sense of it being too soon and too stressful. We’ll see what happens.

I am really sorry if that has already been answered further up or on another thread but do we know what is happening with the funding?  We are opening for initially 2 mornings and then increasing as time goes on and I just wonder how this affects the funding.

17 minutes ago, tormurphy said:

I am really sorry if that has already been answered further up or on another thread but do we know what is happening with the funding?  We are opening for initially 2 mornings and then increasing as time goes on and I just wonder how this affects the funding.

Check with you LA.   Ours have said we will keep funding unless a parent chooses to use another setting. Even then they will expect that setting to first use up funding given for a child not attending their setting first.  Which I guess is fair enough.

• Like 1