Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

job retention scheme looking less hopeful

anju

Seems to be yet more guidance casting doubt on the Early Years Funding being paid in full if you are closed, and hence more complication in working out what can be claimed 

Local Authorities will need to ensure there are sufficient childcare places at this time, and to redistribute funding across settings accordingly. This ability to redistribute will enable local authorities to ensure that critical workers, including NHS staff, are able to access childcare where they need it. Any setting which sees their early entitlement funding reduced in order to fund childcare places elsewhere will be able to increase the proportion of their salary bill eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme in line with the Department’s guidance on access to the scheme.”

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures#funding

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I am so confused.  I refuse to input anything until I am sure it is correct.  Firstly I don’t understand why we are working it out on February fees/wages as it was only a three week month. As new children join us over the summer term our fee paying income would increase but as I understand it I cannot account for that, is this correct?  Has anyone got a clear, correct and definitive way of working all this out? And has anyone successfully logged into the portal and completed it? I am losing sleep over this and am on the verge of throwing my hands in the air and dumping it on the committee to sort out, which I actually think they should be doing anyway.  I don’t understand why we keep getting calculators sent to us when they are not relevant to our situation.

I have just emailed my LA and asked the question that as we are closed is any of our funding going to be redistributed. If it is, I am not sure how we will cope.  

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I am so confused.  I refuse to input anything until I am sure it is correct.  Firstly I don’t understand why we are working it out on February fees/wages as it was only a three week month. As new children join us over the summer term our fee paying income would increase but as I understand it I cannot account for that, is this correct?  Has anyone got a clear, correct and definitive way of working all this out? And has anyone successfully logged into the portal and completed it? I am losing sleep over this and am on the verge of throwing my hands in the air and dumping it on the committee to sort out, which I actually think they should be doing anyway.  I don’t understand why we keep getting calculators sent to us when they are not relevant to our situation.

I have just emailed my LA and asked the question that as we are closed is any of our funding going to be redistributed. If it is, I am not sure how we will cope.  

It really is ridiculous. I despair.

• Like 1

I

53 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I agree with you!  The way I have calculated it seems fair to me and if challenged in the future I have all the information as to why I worked it out this way.  The guidance has been confusing for even an accountant to understand, so there should be some flexibility with percentages surely.  In February we didn't receive any fees or funding, as our parents pay up front in January and the funding comes in before the start of term in January.

So I took the whole income we have received and will receive in funding from our LA for the whole year, then worked out the total amount of fees and donations we would have received if this year we had stayed open unaffected by closure.  I added the two together and then worked out the total divided by the amount of fees/donations- this came to 34%.

I then worked out our total monthly payroll bill total.  I worked out 34% of that.  Our accountant says we can furlough enough staff up to that total, using the net amount of 80% of their wages.  e.g. if someone earns gross £1,000 a month, then only count £800 a month towards the furlough amount.  Doing it this way we will manage to furlough 4 staff out of 8 staff.  I am sure some will tell me it's not correct way of working it out, but for 3 weeks now I have played around with it, and if I have managed to sleep then my first waking thought is "FURLOUGH!!".  So I've had a long chat with our accountant and he feels that this is appropriate and fair, should we be questioned over it in the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anju said:

Seems to be yet more guidance casting doubt on the Early Years Funding being paid in full if you are closed, and hence more complication in working out what can be claimed 

Local Authorities will need to ensure there are sufficient childcare places at this time, and to redistribute funding across settings accordingly. This ability to redistribute will enable local authorities to ensure that critical workers, including NHS staff, are able to access childcare where they need it. Any setting which sees their early entitlement funding reduced in order to fund childcare places elsewhere will be able to increase the proportion of their salary bill eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme in line with the Department’s guidance on access to the scheme.”

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures#funding

Do you think they are going to force us back to work by not paying us unless we open again?

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

.  I don’t understand why we keep getting calculators sent to us when they are not relevant to our situation.

No me zigzag, especially by the people who know they are irrelevant to us ....what’s that all about 😠

I run my furloughed staff through it and just the dates they wanted from you are b****y confusing, if you click the ‘topping up’ option it shuts it can’t calculate .....useless ! 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, zigzag said:

My funding people have assured me that they will not be redistributing any of our funding!

Ours had said originally that they wouldn’t take any money off if we were closed but obviously that was before this latest guidance. Hoping to get some reassurance later.

• Like 1

I have spoken to someone in our LA early years and been told that the 'redistribution' is just for when a child of a Keyworker has to go to another setting because their usual one is shut, that the new setting will be able to claim the early years funding for that child for the period of time that the child is there. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zigzag said:

My funding people have assured me that they will not be redistributing any of our funding!

Just had an email from our LA saying basically ‘we await further guidance on this’. NOT reassuring at all 🙄

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, GFCCCC said:

I have spoken to someone in our LA early years and been told that the 'redistribution' is just for when a child of a Keyworker has to go to another setting because their usual one is shut, that the new setting will be able to claim the early years funding for that child for the period of time that the child is there. 

And they would be taking the funding away from the child’s original setting then?

Updated 21st April and renamed🤔 Actions for early years and childcare providers. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures#early-years-foundation-stage

They want us to take out loans instead of claiming furlough😬

‘We expect that all relevant organisations should first consider any potential options to reduce their operating cost and secure commercial loans (including CBILSCLBILS and CCFF outlined above) before seeking to access grant paying schemes like the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme or seeking specific support from the Department for Education (DfE)’

Edited by nomski100

19 minutes ago, nomski100 said:

Updated 21st April and renamed🤔 Actions for early years and childcare providers. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures#early-years-foundation-stage

‘We expect that all relevant organisations should first consider any potential options to reduce their operating cost and secure commercial loans (including CBILSCLBILS and CCFF outlined above) before seeking to access grant paying schemes like the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme or seeking specific support from the Department for Education (DfE)’

Because we’ve all got sh*t loads of money to be paying back loans 😡

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, anju said:

Because we’ve all got sh*t loads of money to be paying back loans 😡

Excuse me whilst I take a dip in my swimming pool and then my masseur will be giving me a massage whilst my cook cooks my dinner😂

Edited by nomski100
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, anju said:

And they would be taking the funding away from the child’s original setting then?

Yes. We only had 2 keyworkers children and it wasn't worth staying open so they have gone to another nursery and they will claim for the weeks from this week until the children return to us - hopefully 6 weeks. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GFCCCC said:

That would make sense.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nomski100 said:

Slightly concerned that it suggests the cjrs is a grant????is it??? Have I missed something 

Edited by finleysmaid

8 minutes ago, GFCCCC said:

Yes. We only had 2 keyworkers children and it wasn't worth staying open so they have gone to another nursery and they will claim for the weeks from this week until the children return to us - hopefully 6 weeks. 

“Any setting which sees their early entitlement funding reduced in order to fund childcare places elsewhere will be able to increase the proportion of their salary bill eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme in line with the Department’s guidance on access to the scheme.”🤔

8 minutes ago, GFCCCC said:

The trouble is we weren’t told this when we (in my case anyway) commited to paying all staff 100% of wages, gave everyone pay rises etc. If I’d know what I know now I would not have done that but I won’t go back on my word. Unlike the government 🙁

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nomski100 said:

“Any setting which sees their early entitlement funding reduced in order to fund childcare places elsewhere will be able to increase the proportion of their salary bill eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme in line with the Department’s guidance on access to the scheme.”🤔

😂😂😂😂 It’s hardly going to make up the amount lost though is it. *bangs head against wall*

2 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

I’ve got my self back in a muddle now ....are you using your ‘total’ wage bill for the month (everyone not just the furloughed staff) to then get to the 80% if that figure to then work out your fee % that you can claim?

Yes basically. Total wage bill - 80% of that then the relevant percentage from private to funded income applied to that amount. Then i picked someone whose wages were roughly that amount and chose them to furlough and claim the grant against their wages. 

• Like 1