Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

job retention scheme looking less hopeful

anju

35 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Hello 👋 

I’ve given up stressing about opening and gone back to stressing about my next furlough claim and now have more questions ...

I’m now working on Summer term funding but still Spring term private income (as that’s how I got to the Feb 3 weeks figure)...I think that’s correct 🤔 

this has brought my claim % down to 30%, not enough to cover the staff I claimed for April, my question is do you think I can claim a whole month for 2 of them but make another’s end date earlier in the month so I only claim the amount for that person that brings my claim up to the total wage I could claim? Say just claim 2 weeks of their wage (that will have given them 6wks furlough so 2x3wks)

Oh my days I have no idea 😬 Need to sort my next furlough claim out too but up to eyeballs in various options of attendance for possibly reopening 😩

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, anju said:

Oh my days I have no idea 😬 Need to sort my next furlough claim out too but up to eyeballs in various options of attendance for possibly reopening 😩

It’s all such a headache, I thought by working out what furlough amount I was looking at going forward would help me work out which staff I could keep on or needed to bring off.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

It’s all such a headache, I thought by working out what furlough amount I was looking at going forward would help me work out which staff I could keep on or needed to bring off.

I'm so sorry Mousie I really wish that I could help - I didn't go down the furlough route, it just wasn't worth it for me

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I'm so sorry Mousie I really wish that I could help - I didn't go down the furlough route, it just wasn't worth it for me

Thank you sunnyday, I’ve asked payroll now though the answer doesn’t usually make sense, we are at 30% now as summer funding is higher but it will equate to a couple of wages.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, anju said:

I think maybe go on the basis of not opening, you'll still have a month before you give first wage anyway.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cait said:

I think maybe go on the basis of not opening, you'll still have a month before you give first wage anyway.  

Thanks Cait, it’s May furlough I need to sort out and we are definitely closed for May. And then I’ll leave June’s for a while yet and see what happens!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

This was my answer ...zigzag will get my frustration O.o

‘The minimum furlough period is 3 weeks’ 

My accountant has NO idea and I have explained it all to her but I still think she doesn’t understand that we can’t just choose staff to furlough. The percentage business and then working out which staff member or members’ salary comes to the relevant amount seems beyond her. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Helpful as ever then!😬

😝 yep, had my question been ‘how long is the minimum furlough period’ it would have been a great answer 🤷‍♀️ I’m sure they’re not really giving advice as we’d have email proof of “well you said” 

• Haha 1

I have furloughed two staff for May- actually they are all furloughed but only claiming for two salaries. However as I stupidly left claiming for April's until week before May's salary was due- I still have another week to go before I can claim for them. I dont actually remember what I did or how I got to those figures now! So looking at it, as I wrote it all down- I'm still not too sure how I've arrived at these figures. But I dont care, if they come looking for me- it's only going to be a maximum of £3k to be paid back and that includes June's salaries!! So let them audit. They shouldn't have made it so bloody complicated- sorry- language- but really if your accountants cant sort it, how am I (who doesn't even have a CSE maths & yes, I am that old) supposed to.  

Sorry Mousketeer - I'm not being much help to you- I am sending all my staff a letter next week telling them they are coming of furlough on 31st May (as agreed in their original letters) I dont think I will bother to put them back on- we will have 8 staff (inc me) and 14 children coming back. But I think with all the cleaning we will be doing we are going to need them all in, most of the week.  I'm more concerned about opening now and having everything in place- which is giving me an even bigger headache than this blasted furlough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lynned55 said:

I have furloughed two staff for May- actually they are all furloughed but only claiming for two salaries. However as I stupidly left claiming for April's until week before May's salary was due- I still have another week to go before I can claim for them. I dont actually remember what I did or how I got to those figures now! So looking at it, as I wrote it all down- I'm still not too sure how I've arrived at these figures. But I dont care, if they come looking for me- it's only going to be a maximum of £3k to be paid back and that includes June's salaries!! So let them audit. They shouldn't have made it so bloody complicated- sorry- language- but really if your accountants cant sort it, how am I (who doesn't even have a CSE maths & yes, I am that old) supposed to.  

Sorry Mousketeer - I'm not being much help to you- I am sending all my staff a letter next week telling them they are coming of furlough on 31st May (as agreed in their original letters) I dont think I will bother to put them back on- we will have 8 staff (inc me) and 14 children coming back. But I think with all the cleaning we will be doing we are going to need them all in, most of the week.  I'm more concerned about opening now and having everything in place- which is giving me an even bigger headache than this blasted furlough.

It’s all such a pain isn’t it? :/ I agree about doing the best you can in terms of the figures you use and then see what happens; I can’t imagine they’ll be forensically auditing that many people anyway, but worst case it’s a fairly low amount of money, unfortunately!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lynned55 said:

Don’t worry Lynned and I really don’t care if they audit me either ....good luck to them working it out from my calculations,, I’ve even got someone half furloughed for May now 😝 I’m sure they’ll regret coming to any of us! 

Staffing is giving me a bigger headache than any of it now, who should I take off furlough, who to keep on it, then it’s about who add up to the amount I can claim, a couple have chn but will that be enough to keep them on furlough when their chn could go to school as keyworkers...especially in the eyes of other staff I ask to work 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

Yes, this is why I am taking them off furlough- I did consider leaving the 3 who have children on furlough but then I know others will moan at me. I have one who is going to insist she is vulnerable as she has asthma (before anyone tells me off and says I should be sympathetic- she also smokes 15/20 cigs a day so as far as I'm concerned doesn't deserve any and yes I am an anti smoker who managed to give up after smoking for around 40 years!) 

To top it off I had a 1:1 with a staff member who thinks its ridiculous we are coming back and why should she come back just to enable someone to get rid of their child and sit with their feet up! Livid wasn't the word. I'm actually ashamed that a member of my staff would say something like that. I just said that's ok, if you're not comfortable about coming back you can go on unpaid leave until Sept and we will review the situation then. Her answer 'Ok, so I would just be paid holiday pay then' I did remind her that we dont take holiday- we get holiday pay and that is wrapped up in our monthly salaries- same as the 2 staff meetings we have been paid for and not able to have. She then said she would think about it. Really I dont want her back now- I've paid everyone 100% since we closed and apart (from my deputy) and a few Educare courses they've done nothing. Am I being unreasonable? I wouldn't mind but we've worked together for over 20 years.

28 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Don’t worry Lynned and I really don’t care if they audit me either ....good luck to them working it out from my calculations,, I’ve even got someone half furloughed for May now 😝 I’m sure they’ll regret coming to any of us! 

Staffing is giving me a bigger headache than any of it now, who should I take off furlough, who to keep on it, then it’s about who add up to the amount I can claim, a couple have chn but will that be enough to keep them on furlough when their chn could go to school as keyworkers...especially in the eyes of other staff I ask to work 🤦‍♀️

10 minutes ago, lynned55 said:

Yes, this is why I am taking them off furlough- I did consider leaving the 3 who have children on furlough but then I know others will moan at me. I have one who is going to insist she is vulnerable as she has asthma (before anyone tells me off and says I should be sympathetic- she also smokes 15/20 cigs a day so as far as I'm concerned doesn't deserve any and yes I am an anti smoker who managed to give up after smoking for around 40 years!) 

To top it off I had a 1:1 with a staff member who thinks its ridiculous we are coming back and why should she come back just to enable someone to get rid of their child and sit with their feet up! Livid wasn't the word. I'm actually ashamed that a member of my staff would say something like that. I just said that's ok, if you're not comfortable about coming back you can go on unpaid leave until Sept and we will review the situation then. Her answer 'Ok, so I would just be paid holiday pay then' I did remind her that we dont take holiday- we get holiday pay and that is wrapped up in our monthly salaries- same as the 2 staff meetings we have been paid for and not able to have. She then said she would think about it. Really I dont want her back now- I've paid everyone 100% since we closed and apart (from my deputy) and a few Educare courses they've done nothing. Am I being unreasonable? I wouldn't mind but we've worked together for over 20 years.

I’ve been trying to sort out what to do about staffing as well, especially those who don’t want to work but aren’t vulnerable and if I carry on paying them then will it cause resentment among those who will be working. Same issues as you guys. Plus the stupid furlough business. 😤

• Sad 1

I  dont particularly want to work- I'm older than rest of my staff, have a husband whose had 2 heart attacks and wanted to retire next year but I'm organising all this and will go in. 

I think if we minimise the risks to the best we can then................ but I resent staff saying they dont want to come in and expecting to be paid. I think mine all thought we were going to be home until Sept. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, lynned55 said:

You are not being in the slightest bit unreasonable

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, lynned55 said:

I  dont particularly want to work- I'm older than rest of my staff, have a husband whose had 2 heart attacks and wanted to retire next year but I'm organising all this and will go in. 

I think if we minimise the risks to the best we can then................ but I resent staff saying they dont want to come in and expecting to be paid. I think mine all thought we were going to be home until Sept. 

My staff do not actually know my plan yet :o.     I have sent letters to all parents this evening and now feel remarkably calm- but do still keep thinking 'have I done the right thing?'

We are not opening 1st June, but we 'may' open for a few weeks  for two 1.5 hours sessions a week for school leavers- once things have settled into some kind of [can't think of a word!!].

I shall  be expecting  staff to take on a more active role from now though with their key children. They can each set up a dedicated email and engage directly with the parents of their key children. Nothing major just simple ideas to try, Ive had very little input from them so far.   There's only 6 of us,  1 has done all the online training asked, 2 have done some/most  it it, and the other 2 I haven't a clue as they've made minimal contact throughout.  And as for me my brains totally fried form 8 weeks of document reading. O.oO.o

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, louby loo said:

My staff do not actually know my plan yet :o.     I have sent letters to all parents this evening and now feel remarkably calm- but do still keep thinking 'have I done the right thing?'

We are not opening 1st June, but we 'may' open for a few weeks  for two 1.5 hours sessions a week for school leavers- once things have settled into some kind of [can't think of a word!!].

I shall  be expecting  staff to take on a more active role from now though with their key children. They can each set up a dedicated email and engage directly with the parents of their key children. Nothing major just simple ideas to try, Ive had very little input from them so far.   There's only 6 of us,  1 has done all the online training asked, 2 have done some/most  it it, and the other 2 I haven't a clue as they've made minimal contact throughout.  And as for me my brains totally fried form 8 weeks of document reading. O.oO.o

Sounds a good plan.

Have they been paid as normal throughout? Mine have so far but that won’t continue if we stay closed in June. I think we will open but only part time as well as very limited numbers. 
Online training is a good idea; I will get on to that. I couldn’t have mine contacting parents directly - there would be too much variety in the quality of the communication if you know what I mean 😂  

Just now, anju said:

Have they been paid as normal throughout? Mine have so far but that won’t continue if we stay closed in June. I think we will open but only part time as well as very limited numbers. 
Online training is a good idea; I will get on to that. I couldn’t have mine contacting parents directly - there would be too much variety in the quality of the communication if you know what I mean 😂  

They have been on 80% throughout and it will continue until September. This was agreed before the word furlough was invented mentioned. in return I asked that they completed some online training, and to either send me, or put ideas/messages on the Facebook page once or twice a week.

Training - [PSLA ones] There was about 12 each taking around 30 min.  I did say they could do in own time but needed to completed by September.  

Contacting parents - yes a bit risky, but I do feel  some of them think they are on holiday and don't need to do anything  9_9.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, louby loo said:

They have been on 80% throughout and it will continue until September. This was agreed before the word furlough was invented mentioned. in return I asked that they completed some online training, and to either send me, or put ideas/messages on the Facebook page once or twice a week.

Training - [PSLA ones] There was about 12 each taking around 30 min.  I did say they could do in own time but needed to completed by September.  

Contacting parents - yes a bit risky, but I do feel  some of them think they are on holiday and don't need to do anything  9_9.

That’s good of you. Lol re the invention of furlough! Mine have been on full pay since March. I know what you mean about holiday 😂😂 . We have some cheapish online courses through our LA and I normally pay extra to staff to complete them but obviously they are already being paid so it’s a good idea to get some of those done.  

but I do feel  some of them think they are on holiday and don't need to do anything 

yes! do we have the same staff I wonder!! 

My deputy was just saying the other day that because we had told them we would pay 100% until Sept they thought, that was it. They wouldn't be coming back until September

• Sad 2

Well, I did say 80% and if finances allowed we would try and top up to full pay as a bonus during the Autumn term. - I did joke at the time they wouldn't get it if they hadn't completed all training required by our return in September though!

• Like 1

Has anyone else worked out their next furlough to fee % and are now finding children from shared settings are opting for the other setting due to holiday clubs now your asking parents to commit to one or because I’m saying only household members can drop off/collect ...surely that still comes under national guidance at the moment doesn’t it? this is likely to change the % difference as I presume the other settings will want the funding from us....oh, I’m fed up with all this 

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Has anyone else worked out their next furlough to fee % and are now finding children from shared settings are opting for the other setting due to holiday clubs now your asking parents to commit to one or because I’m saying only household members can drop off/collect ...surely that still comes under national guidance at the moment doesn’t it? this is likely to change the % difference as I presume the other settings will want the funding from us....oh, I’m fed up with all this 

I’m also only one setting can be attended and yes that would change the % if your funding is taken away; I hope it’s not :/ I have one who may be doing the same because of holidays and longer days but it’s not confirmed yet. I’m sick of it too ☹️

• Thanks 1

They’ve not taken any of this into consideration.  Maybe ask your MP?  Stir the pot a bit.  I’m sure they’re clueless as are the majority of the population who aren’t in the private early years sector!

• Like 2

Is anyone else planning on applying for the ‘Local Authority Discretionary Grant’? I’m going to try on point 24. Charity rates relief not being entitled to claim the SBRG, it will be unfair if they means test as businesses entitled to SBRG weren’t so we’ll see, but might be worth a shot if anyone fell through the ‘small business grant rates relief’ net. 

I have to do my next furlough claim today, also have a ‘corporation tax reminder’, I was supposed to reapply for an access code for that but it got totally overlooked in the trying to sort out a way to access the furlough scheme through the PAYE account, does anyone realize this is supposed to be half term as in no pay half term for lots of us  🤦‍♀️

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1