Articles
About Us
Tapestry

job retention scheme looking less hopeful

anju

4 minutes ago, louby loo said:

And who pays the rent?

2 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Have people been able to claim the 10k grant?  Obviously that would make a big difference then.

No ones paying the rent clearly Louby or anything else for that matter 🤣 and we haven’t been able to claim the small business grant because we have charity rates relief which is the wrong relief ...so someone who has 100% small business rates relief paying nothing at all can claim the grant, we pay 20% of our rates but can’t get it because ‘the computer says no’ 😡

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, louby loo said:

Not sure who qualifies to be honest, but I know we don't. We're only a small preschool with 6 staff.

I think it’s only people who pay business rates who now don’t have to pay business rates and also get £10000 🙄

Unless I’ve got that wrong. 

1 hour ago, Mouseketeer said:

...seems strange that we can get half the deal and the guidance said it included charity rates relief too...

You've put that very politely ......... 

So some people can get to pay no rates and get 10K O.o  I can quiet honestly see why people in that category should then use all funding for wages.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, louby loo said:

You've put that very politely ......... 

So some people can get to pay no rates and get 10K O.o  I can quiet honestly see why people in that category should then use all funding for wages.

Yeah they can and have it seems to be charities being penalized and we pay £1200 of our own rates each year,  I haven’t looked into what is available for charities but from what I'm reading it equates to £150 lottery grant you claim if you can get it :-( 

• Sad 2

Another issue for term time nurseries is when we get to July and close for summer we have no funding coming in or paying customers but need to pay staff..... does this mean no furlough grant🤔or the opposite and we will get full 80%. ( I’m over thinking and possibly wishing😬) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, anju said:

I read it as ‘CJRS support’ meaning the 80%. So you could claim 80% of the 60%. The 60% comes from the proportion of private fees to government funding. Eg if you received £4000 in government funding and £6000 in private income for whatever period they are looking at (Feb 20 I guess), then this would be 40% ‘dsg’ and 60% private income. And you’d be entitled to claim CJRS support (at 80%) of that 60% of your wage bill. So if your wage bill was £5000, 60% of this is £3000 and the 80% of this which you could claim would be £2400. And the trouble is you’d be losing £6000 private income but only able to claim £2400 🙄

I think that’s what it is anyway. 

are you still getting 100%of your funding allowance ? 

This issue with this of course is that we have been so underfunded for years that the government are assuming this will cover our expenses but of course it doesn't which is why we have all increased our private income and are now getting penalized for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nomski100 said:

Another issue for term time nurseries is when we get to July and close for summer we have no funding coming in or paying customers but need to pay staff..... does this mean no furlough grant🤔or the opposite and we will get full 80%. ( I’m over thinking and possibly wishing😬) 

That’s a good question! I have no idea - I’m kind of assuming we will be back at preschool before July but who knows 🙄

29 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Anyone tried to get online yet? I am dreading it and think I may leave it a couple of days! If anyone does manage to successfully work out what the hell we are meant to be doing and gets through the system, please share!  

I tried early this morning but my accountant needs to do it - I don’t have the correct access. I just wanted to see what the questions are so I can try and prepare the information. Accountant is no doubt swamped today so I haven’t heard from her.

35 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

are you still getting 100%of your funding allowance ? 

This issue with this of course is that we have been so underfunded for years that the government are assuming this will cover our expenses but of course it doesn't which is why we have all increased our private income and are now getting penalized for it. 

We’ve been told we will get all our funding but I won’t believe it until I see it. And yes that’s a huge problem about the underfunding 🙁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zigzag said:

We have been paid by our LA already for the whole summer term, which is one less thing to worry about.

That’s great. Is that including extra supplements eg for pupil premium? 

47 minutes ago, anju said:

We’ve been told we will get all our funding but I won’t believe it until I see it. And yes that’s a huge problem about the underfunding 🙁

I agree anju -  we have received the first half of our funding but I have little faith that we will receive the full amount of our 'second half' having heard that Wiltshire is paying 80% to providers who are not open for Key Worker children etc

I have spoken to my accountant this morning, she wasn't really 'up to speed' with the proposed changes for EY (I'm not surprised, how could she be when this was dropped on us late on Friday) - I talked through my 'figures/working out' with her - I am feeling 'this is just not worth the hassle' for me (I only had one child paying fees in February)

She did not like my idea of paying 100% wages - she said that I can 'furlough' but not attempt a claim.....as I said above I am not at all confident that we will receive full funding for second half of term - who knows......

Not sure that any of this post is helpful to anyone - sorry

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I agree anju -  we have received the first half of our funding but I have little faith that we will receive the full amount of our 'second half' having heard that Wiltshire is paying 80% to providers who are not open for Key Worker children etc

I have spoken to my accountant this morning, she wasn't really 'up to speed' with the proposed changes for EY (I'm not surprised, how could she be when this was dropped on us late on Friday) - I talked through my 'figures/working out' with her - I am feeling 'this is just not worth the hassle' for me (I only had one child paying fees in February)

She did not like my idea of paying 100% wages - she said that I can 'furlough' but not attempt a claim.....as I said above I am not at all confident that we will receive full funding for second half of term - who knows......

Not sure that any of this post is helpful to anyone - sorry

That’s also difficult isn’t it where accountants (understandably) aren’t able to offer us much specific advice. I can see it may not be worth it if you have only one paying child. I’ve already furloughed my staff but also told them I would pay 100% wages as part of them agreeing to furlough, and I’ve given them all pay rises even though I only legally had to do this for one person. I did them all to maintain the differentials and because I stupidly though we were getting the full 80% on everyone’s wages! 😡

• Sad 1

We are a small Pre School who will receive only 7,500 in Education grants this term, the rest of our money would have come from private fees, however, a good proportion of the fee paying children were due to start in April and are not included in our income for February, this means we will be disadvantaged from the start and it will affect our sustainability going forward.

Would it not be simpler if we were allowed to use the whole of our grant for wages, then claim the shortfall from the CJRS?  as long as we don't make a profit from claiming both?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alisonmead2015 said:

We are a small Pre School who will receive only 7,500 in Education grants this term, the rest of our money would have come from private fees, however, a good proportion of the fee paying children were due to start in April and are not included in our income for February, this means we will be disadvantaged from the start and it will affect our sustainability going forward.

Would it not be simpler if we were allowed to use the whole of our grant for wages, then claim the shortfall from the CJRS?  as long as we don't make a profit from claiming both?

It would make sense if the government paid up to what we lost from paying families, so allowing us to furlough staff up to that amount. That is what I thought when they made the changes on Friday... but that is not the case😒

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nomski100 said:

It would make sense if the government paid up to what we lost from paying families, so allowing us to furlough staff up to that amount. That is what I thought when they made the changes on Friday... but that is not the case😒

Exactly this 🙁

I have spoken at length to the Department of Education, they were unable to shed light on the way we should process this and my questions have been 'escalated', they hope to have some clarification within the next 48 hours.

My question was ' Are we to divide the total amount of Government Funding by the months in the term to get an average amount, pay the wages that total that amount, and furlough the staff it doesn't' 

'Are we as a setting, covered legally as long as all Government funds have been used to pay staff, regardless of the way we use it, ie, Weekly, monthly, termly?'

When I hear I will post the answer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anju said:

I tried early this morning but my accountant needs to do it - I don’t have the correct access. I just wanted to see what the questions are so I can try and prepare the information. Accountant is no doubt swamped today so I haven’t heard from her.

You apparently prepare and submit your payroll as normal, using 80% if you are not topping up and the full amount if you are, the CJRS is a different thing, you need your employee number, tax account number, the names and NI numbers of any staff members you wish to furlough, their payroll numbers are optional. You also need to have calculated what 80% of their pay will be as the site will not do that for you.  That's all I could work out over the weekend

7 minutes ago, Alisonmead2015 said:

You apparently prepare and submit your payroll as normal, using 80% if you are not topping up and the full amount if you are, the CJRS is a different thing, you need your employee number, tax account number, the names and NI numbers of any staff members you wish to furlough, their payroll numbers are optional. You also need to have calculated what 80% of their pay will be as the site will not do that for you.  That's all I could work out over the weekend

Someone else has said it’s calculating everything to 80%, regardless that for me I can now only claim 36%...how is that ever going to work? Surely I have to include all currently furloughed staff until I can get them back out if it after their minimum 3 week period is up? 

• Confused 1

I have no more idea what to put on any online claim as I haven't got access to the portal so I don't know what HMRC are asking.

In terms of calculating how much can be claimed, using the guidance on the gov.uk document published on Friday, I've done a spreadsheet. Don't know if it's useful to anyone else (and you may think it's not correct interpretation of the guidance) but I'm attaching it here in case you want to use it and put your own figures in - I've added some sample amounts but you can overwrite them.

calculations for JRS.xlsx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anju said:

I have no more idea what to put on any online claim as I haven't got access to the portal so I don't know what HMRC are asking.

In terms of calculating how much can be claimed, using the guidance on the gov.uk document published on Friday, I've done a spreadsheet. Don't know if it's useful to anyone else (and you may think it's not correct interpretation of the guidance) but I'm attaching it here in case you want to use it and put your own figures in - I've added some sample amounts but you can overwrite them.

calculations for JRS.xlsx

Thank you for adding that :)  I had a quick look and input a few numbers and it worked.

I then went in the garden for some much needed distraction and forgot to post straight away.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Thank you for adding that :)  I had a quick look and input a few numbers and it worked.

I then went in the garden for some much needed distraction and forgot to post straight away.

Ah thank you 😊