Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Good luck

zigzag

Good luck to everyone returning to work today!  Have had a relaxing break and 100% completely switched off from everything work related, which actually never happens, except at Christmas.  But it all came back to me at 4am this morning when any chance of sleeping ended!  The TDL was formed, the when will Ofsted come thoughts started and the worry of what the bank accounts will look like after the next lot of bills go out. Trying to focus on seeing the children again and looking forward to hearing about their Christmas but I can already feel the shoulders begin to be weighted down with all the other worries😢

• Like 1

We were back on Friday!! Try not to worry too much ...this term with the light levels as they are makes me struggle a bit more and I need to lose the weight I put on over Christmas. This terms intake may be a bit of a challenge but at least we have some more children. Try to think glass half full not glass half empty ….smile and find one thing a day to be grateful about:D

All very familiar worries zigzag I am sure - I'm agreeing with finleysmaid and saying 'go half full' rather than 'half empty'! I've written an enormous development plan this holiday just to keep me and the staff looking forward and focusing on continual improvement.

First day back and a parent who's little one had been poorly before Christmas brought us in a "belated" tin of biscuits which we put in the kitchen area. A little boy also started today, he said to me "Lady, can I have a biscuit 'cos you got some in your kitchen and I want one of them?" LolxDxD 

• Haha 3

Well not too bad except the heating had broken (had three fleeces on, so looked like the Michelin man, but with blue lips!) and was not mended until 11:15.  We ended up going outside as it was warmer out than in!   No horrible surprise bills, so very thankful for that.  We have had an amazing offer of help from a generous benefactor who is wanting to help a handyman who is in need of work and has given me £500 and said use him to do whatever jobs you need and pay him from the money!  Am hoping that he can take down the rusty iron railings that have been on our landlords TDL for the last 16 years and put up a fence.  Would be a weight of my mind if this goes ahead.  Apart from that we had happy children, happy new starter and all is good.🙂

• Like 7

23 hours ago, zigzag said:

We have had an amazing offer of help from a generous benefactor who is wanting to help a handyman who is in need of work and has given me £500 and said use him to do whatever jobs you need and pay him from the money! 

I really love how this helps two people at once! 

My first day was ok although my resolution to leave at 5pm was totally missed and I left at 5.45!  Children are ok, have a tough staffing meeting tomorrow and the TDL is endless but hey it is what it is!

Had a smile yesterday when a parent whose child had missed the last day of term gave me the most beautiful tin of biscuits for the staff saying “We don’t celebrate Christmas but it’s important to say thank you!”

• Like 3

So seems I am developing a pattern of insomnia, Sunday night woke at 4am and could not go back to sleep before work, we are not open on Tuesdays and had a great sleep, last night woke at 2:50 and could not go back to sleep before getting up for work!  Anyone else ever had this problem and how did you deal with it?  Would be interested to know.

8 hours ago, zigzag said:

So seems I am developing a pattern of insomnia, Sunday night woke at 4am and could not go back to sleep before work, we are not open on Tuesdays and had a great sleep, last night woke at 2:50 and could not go back to sleep before getting up for work!  Anyone else ever had this problem and how did you deal with it?  Would be interested to know.

I have a friend who does yoga and she uses the breathing techniques to help her get back to sleep.

Although not waking up for the same reasons as you I am not a very good sleeper and I use audio books (with my very tiny headphones in) to listen to to go back to sleep.  I listen to a book I have listened to lots of times already so I am not really listening to the story so much as using the voices to blot out the thoughts keeping me awake.  The audible app has a sleep timer so you can set it to turn itself off.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zigzag said:

We joke about 'no-sleep' Sunday nights at work, a couple of us suffer from it O.o  Not really sure why though, I'm pretty laid back person, and the other suffer has no real  responsibilities as such- well she does make the playodough xD.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 09/01/2019 at 21:11, louby loo said:

We joke about 'no-sleep' Sunday nights at work, a couple of us suffer from it O.o  Not really sure why though, I'm pretty laid back person, and the other suffer has no real  responsibilities as such- well she does make the playodough xD.

Getting that playdough right is a huge responsibility .....though thinking about it that’s usually me too :-/ 

23 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Getting that playdough right is a huge responsibility .....though thinking about it that’s usually me too :-/ 

Well I made some  excellent 'dough-a-cine' the other month. (playdough maker on holiday)

I couldn't quiet remember the correct recipe, and being a bit to lazy to find it I winged it- I didn't have any cream of tartar- so I added a few bits from the baking cupboard (I only wish I remembered what!!).  Anyway it looked a bit dodgy but I thought it would maybe just last a day, however the next day it had taken on the properties of something between playodough and plasticine and very good for hand muscle building. :) 

• Like 5

On 09/01/2019 at 07:44, zigzag said:

Zigzag, I'm not sure of your age, but this seems to be a common topic of conversation amongst women of my age (a bit over 50) and I feel your pain.  I went to see my doctor a couple of months ago, who wouldn't give me HRT as other symptoms aren't too bad.  He did suggest some mild, over the  counter, antihistamine.  Since then my sleep has improved without taking more than two little green bombs.  Not sure if it was psychosomatic, but I've also lost a stone so that could be an explanation.   

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 07:51, zigzag said:

Honeypancakes I am nearly 45🤫 and yes, strange things are beginning to happen! Xx

45 - you are just a girl :D I think I remember 45...….O.o

I find repeating a little mantra (in my head not out loud - Mr S might have something to say about that!) - something like 'calm and quiet', 'calm and quiet' quite useful when struggling to get back to sleep

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:04, Sue said:

I have a friend who does yoga and she uses the breathing techniques to help her get back to sleep.

Although not waking up for the same reasons as you I am not a very good sleeper and I use audio books (with my very tiny headphones in) to listen to to go back to sleep.  I listen to a book I have listened to lots of times already so I am not really listening to the story so much as using the voices to blot out the thoughts keeping me awake.  The audible app has a sleep timer so you can set it to turn itself off.

Actually I do the same Sue.  It does help.    Or I concentrate on making mind blank - which is quite hard to do, but concentrating on that stops/stopped me thinking of work stuff.  It really is about not engaging brain, once that happens, I've had it.

• Confused 1