Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

MOTIVATION!

zigzag

....... and wait for someone to tell me whether or not we need internet at our setting before I take my (half-hearted) Tapestry research any further :1b

Oh SD I went there.... it was hard .......96! yes 96 'things' to read/look at!!!!!!!!!!!

I need a little rest before going back in.....

Hi all!

Thought I'd pop my head in to answer your question about whether you need internet to use Tapestry.

In short, yes you do. Tapestry is an online system so you won't be able to login without being connected to the internet. We did consciously decide to do that for security reasons (it's really really unlikely that you'll lose any data stored on our servers, but tablets get lost, broken, and sadly, sometimes stolen much more frequently).

You can use data plans like the one you mentioned though Louby Loo, which will allow individual devices to access the internet or mifi broadband which allows multiple devices to access the internet without having to get wifi installed in your setting. It depends how many of you are using them and how much data you're using, but contracts for those are usually somewhere between £20 and £30 a month.

Just something to consider!

• Like 1

Hi all!

Thought I'd pop my head in to answer your question about whether you need internet to use Tapestry.

In short, yes you do. Tapestry is an online system so you won't be able to login without being connected to the internet. We did consciously decide to do that for security reasons (it's really really unlikely that you'll lose any data stored on our servers, but tablets get lost, broken, and sadly, sometimes stolen much more frequently).

You can use data plans like the one you mentioned though Louby Loo, which will allow individual devices to access the internet or mifi broadband which allows multiple devices to access the internet without having to get wifi installed in your setting. It depends how many of you are using them and how much data you're using, but contracts for those are usually somewhere between £20 and £30 a month.

Thank you Lauren

Hi all!

Oh dear.... I don't think it will happen for us then :(

We are in a scout hall, the scouts keep saying they are thinking of putting in broadband 'soon' - they have been saying that for the last year though!

It would be wonderful if over the summer they actually have!

Fingers crossed then - Dib, Dib, Dib :lol:

I have such an unproductive day - really cross with myself.........

We are in a scout hall, the scouts keep saying they are thinking of putting in broadband 'soon' - they have been saying that for the last year though!

It would be wonderful if over the summer they actually have!

Or might they share the cost of the widget Lauren told you about? Some of these look to be very good value

Or might they share the cost of the widget Lauren told you about? Some of these look to be very good value

I might be showing my age here- but I thought a widget was something someone invented years ago so that they could put beer in cans (rather than largers) so when you poured it it had a nice foamy beer top..... :rolleyes: :lol:

• Like 2

I might be showing my age here- but I thought a widget was something someone invented years ago so that they could put beer in cans (rather than largers) so when you poured it it had a nice foamy beer top..... :rolleyes: :lol:

I may inadvertently have been thinking of cold beer. I may very well have meant gadget ... who knows?!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I remember that ad with Jack Dee and the penguins. I can't unsee it now

• Like 2

What's a dongle? and could one of these be of any use to those without wifi?

its a pre paid thingy you can plug in to your usb, it looks like a memory stick.

Just had a thought, if you have an ipad at the setting which has 3G to use for tapestry could you look in to getting a GiffGaff sim for it, you can then pay a certain amount for your access.

Well I have spent the whole day from 9-6 standing in soaking wet jeans, coat and socks on Newquay harbour in the pouring rain ( which only let up for a random 5 minutes) Watching the under sixteens Gig championships! The rain has been truly awful and I had lost my sense of humour by 9:05! Coverack went in as defending champions but am sad to say they could only reach fourth today. (That is out of 24 though) so a pretty good achievement. Am now dry and beginning to warm up at last!

Back to work tomorrow, numbers have dropped from 25 to 10 so going to feel so strange, but am going to enjoy the peace and less busy environment whilst it lasts! Happy first day back for anyone returning tomorrow.

• Like 4

Been back today - with the grand total of 5 children! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quite a few 'What day do you start back? - oh I didn't realise you were open today...no-one told us it was today'..... :o

To be fair no-one was narky about it,and it was taken in good humour.................... HOWEVER each and every one of them managed to attend out end of year party where they we all given return dates both written and told verbally :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I blame the schools- they send txt message reminders :huh: ... Really, why does everyone expect to be nanny'd nowadays ? Cant people just learn to take control of their own life's anymore

Anyway, it was actually a really nice day and it felt good to get back into it. :1b

• Like 2

Absolutely fabulous first day back. New child settled like a dream and the children returning were just so happy and settled, it's like we had never had a break. (Staff are all fabulous as well). Such a great start to the term. Really impressed with language skills and table manners as well. LONG MAY IT CONTINUE.

• Like 5

think need photos Sunny! in fact perhaps as a bit of inspiration we should all post a pic of our favourite bit of our setting this year!

staff back tomorrow and children on Wednesday... no new starters till next week and then they come in slowly for a couple of weeks. However I doubt we will have as much luck as Zigzag with the CLL skills .....16 languages last year...I wonder how many ive got this year???? :P

suspect we also will have lots who say....I didn't know when you opened. despite website/letters/texts etc etc etc :wacko:

I blame the schools- they send txt message reminders :huh: ... Really, why does everyone expect to be nanny'd nowadays ? Cant people just learn to take control of their own life's anymore

Not our fault - we have exactly the same problem whether we text, newsletter, tell people verbally, put it on the website or what!

• Like 2

Absolutely fabulous first day back. New child settled like a dream and the children returning were just so happy and settled, it's like we had never had a break. (Staff are all fabulous as well). Such a great start to the term. Really impressed with language skills and table manners as well. LONG MAY IT CONTINUE.

Lovely to hear you've had such a great start!

think need photos Sunny! in fact perhaps as a bit of inspiration we should all post a pic of our favourite bit of our setting this year!

I can't get inspired by my Y1 classroom. It's strange - when I had EY, I knew exactly what I wanted but I have struggled every since I moved into this room. Not helped by the fact that it's not a particularly big room and due to sink, 2 doors, whiteboard, radiators, computer points etc. my options for rearranging are really limited.

staff back tomorrow and children on Wednesday... no new starters till next week and then they come in slowly for a couple of weeks. However I doubt we will have as much luck as Zigzag with the CLL skills .....16 languages last year...I wonder how many ive got this year???? :P

suspect we also will have lots who say....I didn't know when you opened. despite website/letters/texts etc etc etc :wacko:

OMG 16 languages! I truly would not know where to start! The extra workload that this must give you must be enormous. I have an enormous amount of respect for you and your staff. In all my years I have only ever had 1 child who was EAL and 1 who was bilingual.

OMG 16 languages! I truly would not know where to start! The extra workload that this must give you must be enormous. I have an enormous amount of respect for you and your staff. In all my years I have only ever had 1 child who was EAL and 1 who was bilingual.

funny isn't it 10 years ago we rarely had EAL children ! However we have had children with SEND needs for the last 18 and continue to do so...the combination of both definitely keeps us on our toes ;) :rolleyes: :wub: hence why we only have one new child a session as we settle them in :o :1b

• Like 1

Finleysmaid, have you ever had a Filipino child? I have one currently, dad is British. Struggling resources wise, although English is the official language, mum has been here for years, but she does have other older daughters back in Philipines so it would be good to get some kind of culture share going on. Mum said they celebrate Christian festivals. I'll have to quiz her more really, but she rarely drops off or picks up, it's usually grandma or an aunty, who are British.

Finleysmaid, have you ever had a Filipino child? I have one currently, dad is British. Struggling resources wise, although English is the official language, mum has been here for years, but she does have other older daughters back in Philipines so it would be good to get some kind of culture share going on. Mum said they celebrate Christian festivals. I'll have to quiz her more really, but she rarely drops off or picks up, it's usually grandma or an aunty, who are British.

no sorry panders I haven't (how have I missed that one) but apparently there are 120 languages spoken there so you might need to check which one..my go to site is mantra lingua for resources but if you have a good library service they will order you just about anything in.....which means you don't have to pay and can change them when you like ;)

• Like 1

no sorry panders I haven't (how have I missed that one) but apparently there are 120 languages spoken there so you might need to check which one..my go to site is mantra lingua for resources but if you have a good library service they will order you just about anything in.....which means you don't have to pay and can change them when you like ;)

Had a quick look at the site Finleysmaid, they do have Tagalog/English, so I will ask mum if she speaks it, many thanks.

• Like 1