Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

That sounds really lovely!   I can't believe where this week has gone.  I promised myself I'd find an hour to visit my elderly neighbour in her new nursing home and I've run out of week!  

• Like 4

Well I have spent the morning sorting our GDPR - and now need to lie in a darkened room for a couple of hours xD

Actually I don't think it's really 'that' bad - but the more you read the more confusing it seems seems. HOWEVER we need to remember this Act covers ALL business therefore  much of the guidance of what we need to do includes multi-million businesses which hold far more data than us!

I did think I would do the FutureLearn course sunnyday is doing - but now I'm not so sure! 

I found a very good link from 'Corner-i". which seems very good and is Early Years specific. If I can find the link again I will try and post it, but I will check with admin if it is ok to do so first.  

Actually finding the link again is my issue- I am still not feeling the love of my new lappy >:(

Still 'happy Friday' everyone - and I hoping there's no snow to report this weekend!:o

xxx

• Like 2

Hi Friday gang!

Louby - if you can find that link that would be really good!

Cannot believe that it is Friday already - my feet haven't touched the ground this week!

The yellow warning over my part of Kent has now been upped to amber - I am seriously ticked off about that........ (for ticked off please insert expletive)

Mr S continues to be well - we made the trek up to London again on Wednesday - they are bringing his procedure forward by one day to 17th April, he needs to be up there before 12 on the day before (16th) not ideal for me as it's the first day of term - I will share with you a conversation with my oldest son:

Me: "so now dad has to be in London on the 16th, not great as it's first day of term"

Son: "well I'm sure dad is more important then pre-school"

Me: I had thought about him going up on his own in the morning and I could follow up in the afternoon"

Son: "oh no, I don't want you to travel up alone, I would have to come with you"

Me: why are you saying that, I'm quite capable"

Son: "oh but you're only a little old thing"

I'm honestly not sure how to take this, great that he is looking out for me I suppose O.oxD

Happy weekend all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We also have a snow warning😟 Not good as my son is off to Barcelona early Monday morning and it would make getting him to the collection point incredibly awkward.  Just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t happen and the forecasters are being extra cautious😞😏

2 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Hi Friday gang!

Louby - if you can find that link that would be really good!

Hopefully linked above xD

I was going to sign up for the futurelearn one, but then figured it may be tailored for bigger companies and might confuse me further- (not to mention £72 for a certificate xDxD).     When I read the basic stuff we need to do it does all seem pretty manageable - I think as early years we've always been quite good at confidentiality and keeping  digital and paperwork stuff safe/secure etc.

My daughter keeps grumbling about it in her business they have never really had to consider these things-so a big shock for her! xDxD

I feel for us it's just a case of writing it all up/doing audits on what we keep and why. AND I actually think it could work for us as sometimes we feel the need to write up and keep a lot of stuff that we really need to consider why we do.

• Like 2

Training

Everyone needs to have completed GDPR awareness training and have a thorough understanding of your policies and procedures regarding data, consent and sharing. This includes:

• staff

• volunteers and work placement students

• committee members.

thanks louby loo, is the training statement set in stone and do they all have to have done it by May 25th (if it is correct)? :-/ 

2 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Training

Everyone needs to have completed GDPR awareness training and have a thorough understanding of your policies and procedures regarding data, consent and sharing. This includes:

• staff

• committee members.

thanks louby loo, is the training statement set in stone and do they all have to have done it by May 25th (if it is correct)? :-/ 

like most things i would imagine you could train one and disseminate to others...though this is a guess until i read it all!

48 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Training

• staff

• committee members.

Yes you're  right Mousie,  must get staff to think about all those little notebooks they have to do observations in, how they are destroyed afterwards etc., and so that staff++ don't divulge anything when they shouldn't or leave anything out when they shouldn't.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Panders said:

Yes you're  right Mousie,  must get staff to think about all those little notebooks they have to do observations in, how they are destroyed afterwards etc., and so that staff++ don't divulge anything when they shouldn't or leave anything out when they shouldn't.

But I guess they are pretty good about this already?

I'm planning a staff meeting to discuss these kind of points.  I might issue note books at the begging of each year and we destroy them at the end of the year.   Then again the staff are very good and they never include names in there notebooks,  and work with some strange coded system for DOBs xDxD

2 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

I have been thinking about this notepad thing and was thinking I might give each of their key children a number 1 to whatever so they don’t even need to use initials when scribbling notes.

Good idea! :)- I already number each child 1- whatever anyway (so I know how many on role at anytimexD) so we could just use these for the key person.

• Like 2

Okay where did the week go?

Fairly good week at pre-school.......

Mr S is 'so-so' he is back on steroids as he is so breathless:(that said he is out pottering about in his ploy-tunnel and potting shed - oh and he is not happy with me - I accidentally turned off the electricity supply to the potting shed and he has quite a few plants in is propagators, it was only a couple of hours so I'm sure all will be fine :ph34r:

I am sh - sh - shattered so looking forward to a quiet evening and an early night

Hope that the weekend is kind to you all:)

• Like 2

Good but short week as we had a snow day on Monday and do not open at the moment on Thursdays.  I cannot get my head round the fact that it is nearly the Easter holidays, I just do not know where this term has disappeared!  Only thing irritating me this week is an order received from Cosy that is not the same as the picture in the catalogue and is completely useless to me.  Been trying to contact the company to get it returned and have had no luck in making contact.  Find it very frustrating as it cost over £400! ☹️😤. Hope everyone has a restful weekend.

2 hours ago, Panders said:

Our numbers are on the low side, and with 2 away on holiday and 3 off sick, been soooo quiet.   So strange the vibrancy just disappears, on the plus side we are ahead with the easter decorations!

I once said to a reception class teacher who had a class of 9 ... how lovely you must be able to do so much. She basically replied that it was the hardest term because they didn't have enough of them to come up with ideas and needed her all the time!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Only thing irritating me this week is an order received from Cosy that is not the same as the picture in the catalogue and is completely useless to me.  Been trying to contact the company to get it returned and have had no luck in making contact.  Find it very frustrating as it cost over £400! ☹️😤.

how annoying what was it? (forewarned is forearmed)...really love that company but have stopped ordering due to issues!

3 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Okay where did the week go?

!!! mainly down the loo if you ask my staffO.o

Mr S is 'so-so' he is back on steroids as he is so breathless:(that said he is out pottering about in his ploy-tunnel and potting shed - oh and he is not happy with me - I accidentally turned off the electricity supply to the potting shed and he has quite a few plants in is propagators, it was only a couple of hours so I'm sure all will be fine :ph34r:

Love the PLOY tunnel^_^ Poor chap...he's not having a good run is he?

I am sh - sh - shattered so looking forward to a quiet evening and an early night

SLEEP WELLB|

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

I once said to a reception class teacher who had a class of 9 ... how lovely you must be able to do so much. She basically replied that it was the hardest term because they didn't have enough of them to come up with ideas and needed her all the time!

Yes I wouldn't disagree at all with that.   |It has been difficult, particularly role play or drama play, not enough "characters" or those willing to be.   No hiding place for some of them either when they are being inattentive at whole group times!   Ideas too are a little restricted or samey :D  For staff  it is  less stimulating for our ideas working on the children's ideas/wishes/interests.  We feel we have done it all to death.

16 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

how annoying what was it? (forewarned is forearmed)...really love that company but have stopped ordering due to issues!

It was these nesting cubes that I bought  to provide a bit of a physical challenge, I also bought the planks to go with them.  Trouble is our cubes have arrived and none of them have the slots cut into the top for the planks!  I am just really annoyed that I am unable to contact anyone as they need to be returned.DF80EBEE-8F1D-44E3-8EF3-31D8B8CC0681.thumb.png.fddaf846e08744a0fdcfbf5f218c0536.png

oh i'd looked at those! what a pain. I find lots of companies including Cosy keep sending me stuff flat packed....even though its not clear that you need to build it when you get it. As i am the only one handy with a screwdriver it causes a bit of a problem.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2018 at 11:52, finleysmaid said:

oh i'd looked at those! what a pain. I find lots of companies including Cosy keep sending me stuff flat packed....even though its not clear that you need to build it when you get it. As i am the only one handy with a screwdriver it causes a bit of a problem.

Why is it that no one else can possibly use a screwdriver or replace a battery ....just a small thing but it really irks me, I am sure none of them are ‘wait for hubby to get home to fix it’ people >:(

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

i recently bought two large cupboards .they came flat packed! I called the company and they said oh yes i doesn't make it clear...what do you want us to do? I said come and make them...so they did!!!!!! it took 2 men 3 hours. Just as well i didn't do it myself then.

My annoyance for today LEA sent me a safeguarding network meeting notice on Wed last week for this wed...last day of term! i have just had a note from them to say they are also going to discuss GDPR at this meeting. That's lots of notice then!!! i have no chance to go ...really cross TBH!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Why is it that no one else can possibly use a screwdriver or replace a battery ....just a small thing but it really irks me, I am sure none of them are ‘wait for hubby to get home to fix it’ people >:(

hanging my head in shame here - my deputy is our go to for anything that needs fixing/repairing - she has just fallen into that role :ph34r:

4 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

i recently bought two large cupboards .they came flat packed! I called the company and they said oh yes i doesn't make it clear...what do you want us to do? I said come and make them...so they did!!!!!! it took 2 men 3 hours. Just as well i didn't do it myself then.

My annoyance for today LEA sent me a safeguarding network meeting notice on Wed last week for this wed...last day of term! i have just had a note from them to say they are also going to discuss GDPR at this meeting. That's lots of notice then!!! i have no chance to go ...really cross TBH!

Oh that would make me cross too - have you had a 'moan'?