Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Big Mistake!

larnielass

I usually keep my TDL in my head. However, this year I decided to write every thing down. Ha! Now I have filled a sheet of A4, I'm beginning to think I may have made a huge mistake. It didn't feel so bad when it was wandering around in my head!! How am I going to fit it all in by the start of September?? The holidays won't be long enough!

• Like 5

From experience, you'll do most of it then cross some stuff off as unimportant. But then you'll do stuff that wasn't even on your list (in which case I write it on for the pleasure of crossing it off)

• Like 8

I usually keep my TDL in my head. However, this year I decided to write every thing down. Ha! Now I have filled a sheet of A4, I'm beginning to think I may have made a huge mistake. It didn't feel so bad when it was wandering around in my head!! How am I going to fit it all in by the start of September?? The holidays won't be long enough!

Welcome to my world :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have to say though that I do like a list! :1b

• Like 2

It's not the actual list I like........... but the sheer pleasure of crossing thing off said list - then being able to look at it crossed off. :1b :1b :1b

Even my husband makes lists now for the very same reason :lol: :lol:

• Like 4

I read an article a few weeks ago about dividing your TDL into areas, Important/urgent, important/non-urgent and non-urgent/non-important (or something like that, they may have had 4 but 3 does it)...it really does help you focus on what you have to do that week and what can wait, or if you only have 20 mins say what can you do from the list in that time :-)

This is it : Covey's Time management matrix , I have an awful lot of 4 and didn't get the point in 3 lol

We should prioritize our daily task list by determining which quadrant it is in. For example,

1. Quadrant 1: Important and Urgent. These tasks should be our first priority. They go at the top of your to-do list. They are important, and they must be done today.
  2. Quadrant 2: Important But Not Urgent. These are the “tomorrow” tasks that Scott speaks about. They should be our second priority, because if we don’t do them, we will face the consequences in the future.
  3. Quadrant 3: Urgent But Not Important. These are those tasks that are urgent to someone else, but they are not important to us. They should be our third priority. Frankly, much of the email we receive and social media falls into this quadrant.
  4. Quadrant 4: Not Urgent and Not Important. These should simply be deleted from our daily task list. They are simply a distraction that keeps us from accomplishing those items in the first two quadrants.
Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 6

I read an article a few weeks ago about dividing your TDL into areas, Important/urgent, important/non-urgent and non-urgent/non-important (or something like that, they may have had 4 but 3 does it)...it really does help you focus on what you have to do that week and what can wait, or if you only have 20 mins say what can you do from the list in that time :-)

This is it : Covey's Time management matrix , I have an awful lot of 4 and didn't get the point in 3 lol

We should prioritize our daily task list by determining which quadrant it is in. For example,

1. Quadrant 1: Important and Urgent. These tasks should be our first priority. They go at the top of your to-do list. They are important, and they must be done today.
  2. Quadrant 2: Important But Not Urgent. These are the “tomorrow” tasks that Scott speaks about. They should be our second priority, because if we don’t do them, we will face the consequences in the future.
  3. Quadrant 3: Urgent But Not Important. These are those tasks that are urgent to someone else, but they are not important to us. They should be our third priority. Frankly, much of the email we receive and social media falls into this quadrant.
  4. Quadrant 4: Not Urgent and Not Important. These should simply be deleted from our daily task list. They are simply a distraction that keeps us from accomplishing those items in the first two quadrants.

Yikes! Now I need to do a list of lists!!

• Like 2

You need to move up to a 'bullet journal' approach........ this is the next thing on my list :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

So who puts things on the list that they've already done, just so they can cross them off? Just me? :blink:

Just you ? Nope........... you have to have that satisfaction of crossing things off else there is not real point of a list :lol:

• Like 1

So who puts things on the list that they've already done, just so they can cross them off? Just me? :blink:

Oh, not just you at all! There have to be those things, and also jobs split into parts of jobs so that you get several bites at the same job!

I've even had such things as 'Fill printer with paper', so that it can get several ticks over the course of the summer!

• Like 4

Absolutely yes I do.. Apart from the satisfaction of crossing it off, at the end of the day I don't have to wonder what I've been doing all day. Comes of years of having to answer that question for a succession of bosses!

• Like 1

Hmm, I like the idea of sub lists from the main list. I can see colour coding coming in to it...very appealing! ::1a

Oh yes, Sunnyday, add 'Buy new highlighter pens' to that list. Hmm, may need post it notes to match the pen colours too, just so I can stick notes on the fridge as well!

• Like 2

Hmm, I like the idea of sub lists from the main list. I can see colour coding coming in to it...very appealing! ::1a

Seriously you lot - you need to google 'bullet journals' -

We need froglet to upload a photo of hers! (I'm sure it will be a good example) :rolleyes:

You'll be all talking about the 'stationery shopping' soon - that summer term trip to Staples to buy all those things that are going to change your life and make everything much more organised :)

Oh my I'm going to miss that this year :(

It would be such a shame to miss out on all these organising tasks, Thumper - why not enrich your new found freedom by bringing order to your home I'm sure a few brightly coloured folders would liven up your domestic bliss - once you have the hang of that, you can move on to colour coding the laundry or airing cupboard - just to keep your hand in so to speak, these skills are endlessly required

• Like 6