Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Signing in....?

Hi we are changing our signing-in procedure.....is it legal if WE sign in the children rather than the parents ??/ TIA

Just a note (sure you know this anyway) - make sure you have a 'space' to record times.......

Mine should all arrive at the same time - however back in the real world - I have space at bottom of weekly register page to record 19/01/16 Joe Bloggs late arrival 9:15 or whatever ::1a would obviously work with collection too Josephine Bloggs - late collection 12:15..........

• 2 years later...

On 1/18/2016 at 20:28, AliceinWonderland said:

yes, it says in the EYSF that we have to keep a record of the hours of attendance, it doesn't say that the parents have to do it.

Can anyone point me to the bit of the EYFS (or anywhere else) that says records have to be kept of times the child attended please?

2 hours ago, Upsy Daisy said:

Can anyone point me to the bit of the EYFS (or anywhere else) that says records have to be kept of times the child attended please?

Hi Upsy - it's a safeguarding issue - erm - I would have to read through EYFS to see if/where it is mentioned :)

Information about the provider

3.76. Providers must hold the following documentation: • name, home address and telephone number of the provider and any other person living or employed on the premises (this requirement does not apply to childminders)
• name, home address and telephone number of anyone else who will regularly be in unsupervised contact with the children attending the early years provision • a daily record of the names of the children being cared for on the premises, their hours of attendance and the names of each child's key person • their certificate of registration (which must be displayed at the setting and shown to parents and/or carers on request)

Edited by Panders

I think originally we did just say that hours of attendance were the same as our session times.   Then local safeguarding began to say we really should record actual times.    I am open from 915, but some children might not actually be on the premises until 9.30 due to dropping older siblings off etc., same at pick up time, many a time not everyone is out the door on time - so it is worth recording.

• Like 1

We were told by our LA that the parent had to sign to say they had dropped their child off. I could put in the time (the exact time) but the parent had to sign next to it. I only do it if a parent has forgotten or has to rush off (I will tell them that I will do it).  I produce my own register which has the date at the top, the child's name down the side and spaces for drop off time, signature, pick up time, signature, extra lunch club, have they paid and comments i.e somebody else collecting. This works for me as I don't have many children in a day so I can see it wouldn't work for a huge setting.  This came about as years ago we used to use the PSLA register and did it at circle time so the time in was always when we did it e.g 9.25. We were told this didn't give a true idea of what time the children were arriving and if they were late as that would need an eye keeping on it as to why they were always late. This week I have opened my door at 9.00 every morning to either 1 child or no children. I do feel like shutting the door and locking it and saying 'well, you weren't here at nine so we are having the day off!'

• Haha 1

All our chn that come through the door when we open it are ticked in as arriving as start of session time which is on the register, late comers have the time recorded in their box and the same in reverse at the end of the session, we have a morning and afternoon register so those staying are registered again at the end of morning session. 

• Like 1

Our cloakroom is open so parents arrive and sign their children in and the time. We open the playroom door at 9am and children come in. We do a quick head count after about 10 min to make sure they are all signed in.  If not we add them.  At the end of the session we put down the time and parents sign to receive their child. This is on a daily sheet.  It also has a 'tick' columns for lunchbox and suncream applied.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2018 at 21:52, starsdance said:

We were told by our LA that the parent had to sign to say they had dropped their child off. I could put in the time (the exact time) but the parent had to sign next to it. I only do it if a parent has forgotten or has to rush off (I will tell them that I will do it).  

We raised this with Ofsted, specifically about parents 'having' to sign their children in and they have replied: "Hello – the EYFS says that early years providers have to keep a daily record of the names of the children who are being cared for on the premises, their hours of attendance and the names of each child’s key people. But there is no requirement for anyone to sign the record. Also, there is a separate requirement for providers to record the name, date of birth and address of every parent, which parent the child normally lives with, and the emergency contact details for that person. How the early years provider meets these requirements is up to them. I hope this is helpful."

So, no need for parents to sign children in - which is what we thought - it's your register and you are responsible for it's accuracy :)

I started a signing in sheet for parents to sign after a parent flat out denied that her child used to come on a particular day ( dropped off and collected by grandparent...........).........even though it was recorded in the register. So an A4 sheet, with child's name down the side.....then a box for arrival time, box for signature of who dropped off, then box for pick up time and final box for signature of who collected.

We DID actually resolve the original problem with the parent who denied her child came, because, fortunately, he was on medication and the med forms had been signed..............for the day she denied he came :)  

1 hour ago, narnia said:

I started a signing in sheet for parents to sign after a parent flat out denied that her child used to come on a particular day ( dropped off and collected by grandparent...........).........even though it was recorded in the register. So an A4 sheet, with child's name down the side.....then a box for arrival time, box for signature of who dropped off, then box for pick up time and final box for signature of who collected.

We DID actually resolve the original problem with the parent who denied her child came, because, fortunately, he was on medication and the med forms had been signed..............for the day she denied he came :)  

yep - a very sensible solution for your predicament!! We were clarifying the requirement that one local authority were saying parents must sign their children in, the insinuation being that it was an Ofsted requirement :)