Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Quick I need help!

Help I need an answer to a question quickly! Am I right in saying within the welfare requirements that if 1 level 3, 1 level 2 and one unqualified staff member were working, this would be illegal? Situation beyond my control coming up on Wednesday morning but think I am going to have to close. Please respond quickly. Thank you!!

Oh lord. Not sure what to do. My deputy and my unqualified will be great but its the level 2 who does not pull her weight sometimes, we also have a newer child and she is spending all her time supporting her which is great but not when we haven't got that extra staff member.

Thanks Sunnyday, its nothing too serious, just a knee injury from rugby!

Ratios ok, but I think you need to risk assess your own environment. In your case I would consider things like closing the outside area for the morning, if you have a couple of rooms - if possible just use one?

We had our Ofsted last week and we discussed ratios. She said that due to the size/layout of room although technically on that day we could have had three staff- she would consider it unsafe and would expect to see at least 4, preferably 5 staff! (we had 5)

• Like 4

Also, not sure how full etc your are, but I would consider asking parents about swapping children's sessions if possible.

I the past I've been know to 'offer swap + one extra free session' in exchange for a 'OMG panic situation'

maybe ask for a parent volunteers for a non-ratio'd domestic role (snack ::1a )

Ratios ok, but I think you need to risk assess your own environment. In your case I would consider things like closing the outside area for the morning, if you have a couple of rooms - if possible just use one?

That is a brilliant idea - why didn't I say that :blink:

Have done exactly that today - I needed to leave early (ish) to plough on with some paperwork - took washing up with me (good old dishwasher) and set up so that staff knew they were expected to stay in just one room and together for the (short) time that i wouldn't be there.......

Oh if only the government could read this when they are saying we ought to be able to work within ratios and make ourselves more sustainable!!! :o <_<

I agree with everyone. Make sure you are within legal ratios then rish assess and 'tweak' to make sure you feel that children are as safe as possible. ^_^

• Like 3

(Some years ago, an Ofsted helpline person told me that we could be out of ratios if I judged that I could keep the children safe, which I did because we had so few - to have a parent helper if a qualified member of staff was unable to work. The person I spoke to advised me to just call their helpline in the morning.)
I would prefer to work with someone I know, that I've asked because I know that they are efficiect and will help with the practical things so I can focus on the children, than with someone qualified that I don't know.

I agree that the ratios are fine...really not a problem! Maybe have a word with your level 2 and explain that she needs to pull her weight!. We occasionally close the outdoors if we have children who are young in the group so that we can sort out toileting ....but we also use walkie talkies if we feel we need backup!

I suspect if the government gets their way we will all have to get used to working to ratio and not over staffing...we won't be able to afford it!

• Like 2

Thank you for all your replies we will go ahead and open, I have a feeling we may have a coup!e poorly still then anyway. Might just be the control freak in me over reacting but after an incident years ago in my day nursery days when we had a child fit and had to call an ambulance and only had two staff it just makes you think. Will definitely have a word with the level 2.

Quick question, can you still have parent helpers? Surley not without a DBS.

Yes, if supervised at all times, i.e. never left on their own with children.

Right so a parent can be with the children with no DBS yet we have to jump through hoops to get the committee DBS checked and they have NO contact at all with the children!!

I refuse to jeopardise the safety of the children for anyone, even if on paper we look staff heavy. :(

For many years we had a ratio of 1 to about 4 or 5. We now have more per adult (got one level 6 and one level 3, plus an assistant in training) and have fewer incidences and accidents. I can't even remember when we last had one!

Yes I'm sure that could be the case. However with a large group of under threes with all their unique needs including one on support to settle, toilet training, and trying, trying, trying desperately to have free flow if we can for our outdoor area, then I'm not willing to compromise with less staff. :(:(

• Like 4

Right so a parent can be with the children with no DBS yet we have to jump through hoops to get the committee DBS checked and they have NO contact at all with the children!!

I queried this last year and didn't get a 'proper' answer from either Ofsted or my LEA advisor - after the ridiculous way Ofsted seem to be treating Committee run settings, I for one are not willing to risk using parents anymore; like I said above its that IF something happens moment

• Like 1

I queried this last year and didn't get a 'proper' answer from either Ofsted or my LEA advisor - after the ridiculous way Ofsted seem to be treating Committee run settings, I for one are not willing to risk using parents anymore; like I said above its that IF something happens moment

Totally agree I would not use a parent helper because of this. This whole DBS for the committee completely baffles me. I understand our chairperson having it as she comes into setting quite a bit in session time but none of the committee do. (only to drop and collect their own children)

• Like 1

Fredbear, given the management our setting had in the past (i.e. me, less experienced), I would have felt anxious with a larger number of children per adult. With my post, I just wanted to highlight that the ratio needs are dependent on a lot of things. However, two-year-olds come with their own challenges, as you pointed out - even the best of organisation cannot prevent what suddently might happen!

• Like 2

I suppose it's more about the committee members being part of the registered body and being responsible IF something happens. Ofsted need to check that 'they' as in 'it' are suitable.

Did I just stick up for Ofsted - well we getting closer to the new inspection cycle!

• Like 1