Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Out of order?

We currently admit children at the age of two and a half years. I recently had a visit from our senior area senco (who also owns day nurseries) Whilst discussing the child she said it would be good for the family if the younger sibling could also attend us as soon as possible. She then questioned me quite closely why we don't take two year olds and put pressure on me to change this to accommodate this child. My personal opinion is that the development range would be too great to have all the age ranges on one room, God knows we find it a challenge already! I explained that it would be a committee desicion anyway. But we then had a meeting with the family and she told them that we might change our admission policy!! I think she was well out of order. I have since had to have the chat with the family to explain my reasons but don't think it's gone down very well. I personally would rather change our admissions policy to only take them from the age of 3!! I am really cross with her and think that she completely undermined me. Am I just being stubborn and prickly do you think?

• Like 1

No! I am of the same mind and found the constant pressure from LA to do Free for 2's over bearing, but I have stuck to my guns. Our setting is not the right place for 2 year olds.

• In your case - I might have made an exception with full knowledge of all the facts, BUT, I would not have joined the scheme but offered a paying place to the family, possibly at reduced rates if circumstances dictated.

Frankly I am appalled at your area SENCo's forthright stance on this

• Like 1

Poor situation. Feel for you. I'm wondering if you could help this family, and keep in with the SENCO, by working with a childminder? Maybe some who are qualified drop off and pick up from your playgroup(?). They might have a spare place for those hours when their other children are with you. The ratio and provision might be suitable for the younger child - at home, and outing, or at a toddler group.

Just a thought.

H

DON'T DO IT zigzag...I wish I hadn't given into pressure from county :'(

Hmm my thoughts exactly Mouse! I gave into twos because it made my village setting more viable - though now I realise the baggage they come with makes it bloomin hardwork and not-so-cost-effective!!

I think Area Sencos are always looking for 'a way forward'. My AS is lovely, supportive and encouraging - however I dont think she always sees the 'bigger picture'......Sen children + twos is a juggling act worthy of the New Year Honours!!

• Like 4

My thinking is that if you accept one two year old you have to accept them all. Making an exception for this child would just open the floodgates for everyone.

Don't do it zigzag..........massively 'out of order' of your area Senco........

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments, glad its not just me. You have made me determined to stick to my guns. Interestingly I had a nosey on the senco's nursery website and guess what? they have a separate room for the two year olds!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)