Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Back in the saddle again!

sunnyday

First day back for me today - where did that holiday go?

Bit of a shock to the system - having to get myself organised and out of the door! :ph34r:xD

Soon felt as if we had never been 'away' - all 'newbies' happy - phew - let's hope tomorrow's lot are also 'happy'! :1b

How has it been for everyone?

• Like 3

Went back last Thurs. It was surprisingly calm. No tears from 'newbies' - or staff. Very stressful set of 'families' last year and many have moved onto primary schools. So, it was really good to start back and remember why we do the job.

• Like 1

Back today (with children) for me too. It was great really - only one out of the ten we had cried the whole session (until mum came early to collect!) and all boys.

Tomorrow is much busier and we have more newbies.

Like we've never been away...

Blondie - so sorry to hear that.

Bit of a mixed one for me - INSET and all the usual classroom prep but I leave this job at Christmas and it's strange to think that tomorrow is my last 'first day of the year with children' here. Also had a session on some new work we're going to be doing for maths which was a bit overwhelming and confusing. Then a couple of other members of staff landed extra jobs on me which I wasn't expecting.

I'm looking forward to a day with children tomorrow... (normal stuff!!)

• Like 1

Oh sunnyday - you don't take two year olds do you........we had 13 toddlers start last week and boy did'nt we know it!

Even my super new Ikea storage looked scared! ha ha!

(what bright spark came up with the idea of giving children choice............). : /

Edited by Rafa
  • Like 5

A game of two halves methinks!!

New starters came last week (with parent(s)) for two settle sessions - went well

Returners in today to give them a chance to settle back in - all OK

From tomorrow new starters begin in earnest with 3 or 4 each day - staggered start times so we shall see how that goes.

The problems have all been with primary carers who have forgotten/not read/didn't think it applied to them/didn't complete paperwork because etc. etc. !!!!!!

Panders I feel your pain - we were very boy heavy last year which changes the dynamic of the group and for us made it a "challenging" year - this year we are a 50/50 gender split so will see how things pan out

Oh sunnyday - you don't take two year olds do you........we had 13 toddlers start last week and boy did'nt we know it!

Even my super new Ikea storage looked scared! ha ha!

(what bright spark came up with the idea of giving children choice............). : /

Ha, yes, our trofast idea was... interesting! My plans for 'if you've finished, put it back before the next thing comes out' obviously didn't work! But it wasn't as bomb-site as it could have been.

We were boy heavy last year and this year have a couple more girls, but really still mostly boys and all boys on a Monday - what a start to the week!

Went back last Friday for INSET day. Children started yesterday. I've moved sites but still in same year group.

The classroom acoustics are terrible, very echoey leading to me having a headache and earache by home time. Couldn't hear the children talk that were in front of me. Not a good room for a person with hearing problems to be in.

However don't want to go back up as it would be with the class teacher I spent the first 3 years with. So I may need a short term back up plan, as I am back at college next week to retrain in a different role still working with children.

Anyway let's see what today brings, hope it's not a repeat of yesterday.

Oooh - another good session today - newbies and returnees all happy - not a tear in sight - wayhay - long may it continue! :D

Two students started this morning - both very helpful girls - excellent - long may that continue too! xD

Hmmm - just one 'sore point' only one set of parents have paid their fees - will have to start asking 'did you get your invoice'? They were all posted out with newsletters..........

• Like 1

Chasing fees has to be one of the worst jobs!

Certainly is - I do have the benefit of 'Daily Contact books' - so will start adding my 'note' tomorrow! :1b

I thought posting the invoices before start of term was a 'genius idea' - seems I was mistaken there :o

• Like 1

First day back today - going to really have to think about staggering our new starters. One little one cried all morning and had no language and didn't want to be comforted or consoled - really tricky. Hopefully a better day tomorrow!

Oh poor you - that is hard work :( did you call parents back 'early' think i would have done......

• Like 1

No I don't take 'twos' I do however take from 2 years 6 months - I'm sure they seem younger/less capable than they used to be - ah maybe it's that I am older/less capable! :o :blink: :DxD

• Like 1

Oh the joys of fee nagging - I have already started and it's only day 2 - however I am working on the basis that I shall just keep on nagging until they get the message. When I get fed up with nagging then it will be a case of no fees no child - I think that if I just start the year as a grumpy old dragon I won't lull anyone into a false sense of security xD

As for the children - so far going OK (breaks off to touch large chunk of wood)

I do stagger my newbies - and in age order too so we have not yet started the youngest ones so we shall see how we get on next week!!

• Like 2