Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Thinking of selling

Hello all,

l recently put up a post ''l am fed up'', moving on from there l am seriously thinking of selling up l had someone come and value the nursery on Tuesday or reducing hours to pre school term time only, as l am still relatively young ;) in my late 40s , can't afford to retire and l not sure regarding career change or what else l can do.

This is for lovely ladies running pre-school term time, do you think it will still be as stressful as full day nursery, or the same, any information or advise will be appreciated.

TORO I have never managed or really had any understanding of the day to day running of full daycare. Term time only packaway pre-school is more work than a pre-school which you can tidy up at the end of the day and walk out and if you own the premises so much the better.

We do the same admin work I suspect, we employ staff, we juggle children's placements, we plan, we buy, we execute. The stress for me comes from waiting for inspectors and wondering whether we are good enough, obviously one has faith in our ability, but it is still important to do well at inspections. The other stressful part for me as we are quite small, only 20 per session, is will we fill enough spaces there is a lot of competition in our area - and I am seriously worried for the next academic year at the moment,

All that aside - I do love it still, the children are entertaining it is only 4 hours per session at most, 5 on planning day, we don't open on Wednesdays, can't get the hall - I have got more relaxed as I've aged - 60 next year!

• Like 5

Oh Toro that is sad but I do feel that pre school has all the same pressures just 'not quite' so many hours having to work at work you just get to work at home :1b - good luck in whatever you decide to do ;)

• Like 4

I work in small pre-school term time only. I do enjoy that time off (she said tongue in cheek)! Like Panders said paperwork probably the same. Stressful. Maybe higher level of need which means more family support and children's services? We are registered charity, committee run which means we charge hardly anything and pay staff peanuts. We juggle fluctuating numbers with number of hours we open and which staff we can afford to keep next term. But even though I do get stressed I wouldn't leave it - not yet, still got plans.

Oh yeah can't leave yet - got no pension!!!!

• Like 1

Could be a 'grass is greener' senario ... As term time & part time you would think it would be an easier ride but I think we all have problems; just different ones. I always think day nurseries have it easier because they offer so much more, but maybe that's not the case. Not very helpful really, I've been in the same 'place' as you for awhile just can't actually bring myself to leave.

• Like 1

I seem to be hearing this more and more .... :(:( :( me included.

It's really sad isn't it .. I actually seem to be working on auto pilot half the time I'm continually worrying about what I / we as a Setting haven't done or can't do, it is so draining on every part of my life, but why can't I just leave for my sanity?!

• Like 2

its true - i am always worrying about what i have done - is it enough - and what i havent done - peers observations, action plans etc etc - the list goes on and it never stops.

then staff who think all the things happen/ are done by magic-registers, washing of resources, etc etc - and complain about everything - book time, number of keychildren etc etc - sometimes wonder why any of us are still in it - only one word really - children - we love our job and that is why we carry on.

• Like 2

I too have staff that think all the registers do themselves....I have had 3 children leave in three weeks without paying their bills-- since I am off wed and the bills were not given out,even though 3 reminders in diary...what do you have to do to make them responsible....I pay my staff excellent wages since private daycare....treat them very well......but to no avail...just grief....uniform (previous post )at the moment.....booked a course for 4 of my staff...one says 'Do I HAVE to do it ...XXXX and XXXX arent doing it and I have my degree......!!!!!' She thinks she can rest on her laurels after finishing her degree last October....but has no confidence to do circle time /register/story.....the course is 3 hrs on a Tuesday night ...am I asking too much of them...Continuing Professional Development......gripe after gripe lately....I too am thinking of selling but do not want my successful business I have built up over the past 11 years to go downhill.....and not quite sure of the procedure to be honest...

I can not wait for end of July this year has been horrendous mainly with staff! moaning at everything how much work they do!! I've spent my time reducing their work load to pritty much minimal especially compared to normal nurseries, but they just don't care ! They don't strive to do their best and I want to lock them all in a room and shake them in a bag!! (Staff not kids). The paperwork is probably same, few less registers etc for the closed weeks. Term time does not mean time off in holidays for me, it's time to clean the setting, put everything away (pack a way) that staff carnt be bothered to put in correct places, do paperwork I've not done in term time and prepare for next term.

I think if you can afford it could you step back a little delegate more and have some time to recoup, even if just for half a term.

If I could find a job I wanted I would like to think I'd move on but in reality I know it's hard managing everything but think I'm here till my body gives up x

I've finished my moan now!

Term time does let you recharge your batteries somewhat especially with children who shall we say are under your feet constantly ?

• Like 1

I am approaching the year anniversary of closing my private nursery after 22 years and I have to say it was the best decision I have made. I now work in another nursery, I have none of the pressure and all of the pleasure and It was the best decision at the right time for me. I am in my early fifties and not in a position to retire but knew that running my own nursery was draining the life out of me. I now love going to work and I really love going home at the end of the day and forgetting about it until the following morning, if you feel it is the right time to sell TORO then listen to your heart.

It's really sad isn't it .. I actually seem to be working on auto pilot half the time I'm continually worrying about what I / we as a Setting haven't done or can't do, it is so draining on every part of my life, but why can't I just leave for my sanity?!

That is it exactly , i work on auto pilot snap at my poor family

• Like 1

To me, starting and running a preschool has been a way to apply myself to something meanigful in life and be creative. There are people who write a novel, do a PhD or build a house. I create a space for children. For that reason I could not be employed. The challenge and sense of possibility motivates me. Ten years later and I'm still not done!

• Like 5

This is for lovely ladies running pre-school term time, do you think it will still be as stressful as full day nursery, or the same, any information or advise will be appreciated.

I'm seriously wondering if I qualify as a 'lovely lady' feel more like a 'grumpy old woman' at times :D

I run my own (very small) rural pre-school and have done so for the past 30 something years - I am very old!

I have no experience of running a Day Nursery - but as others have said would imagine that the 'stress factor' is pretty similar........perhaps more so as 'everything is down to me' - no admin help at all - no dedicated time either for me to complete admin - I do it all in my 'own' time :wacko:

However, that said - I am still absolutely passionate about my work and like Wildflowers I wouldn't be any good at being employed - I have my own ideas and can (within the 'constraints' of EYFS and Ofsted regs) implement these ideas :1b

I wish you the very best for whatever you decide to do now x

• Like 5

I actually am employed by a term time only setting on Tues/Weds and a nursery for the rest of the week and can honestly say that whilst the longer holidays are a bonus at the term time only setting, the work load is still as heavy during term time. It is a pack away setting so that does add to the work load in that with a purpose built setting it would be slightly better!! The longer holidays do allow for you prepare for new terms etc but to be honest there still aren't enough hours in a day!!

The thing that the term time only setting struggles with is number of children which is due mainly to the fact that they do not cater for working hours and may be something that you would want to consider before taking a step in that direction!

Perhaps you need a partner! Good luck with whatever you decide

So far Toro its about a 10/2 in favour of jumping ship!! - so far......

ARE YOU LISTENING MR CAMERON & CO?!!!

If I was born again, would I do it? Yeah, But in a purpose built (Im packaway). With double the Funding (I'm broke and have a huge overdraft) and a Plan B - around about your age to retire! (Not on your Nelly Rafa - its 67years old now!)!

So, like the two in favour of staying with it - I shall carry on, with creaking knees - but knowing.....I like it really - and am ever optimistic that one year....I'll get the Planning Right!! : )

• Like 4

So, like the two in favour of staying with it - I shall carry on, with creaking knees - but knowing.....I like it really - and am ever optimistic that one year....I'll get the Planning Right!! : )

That's the spirit! :1b

Oh and I bet my knees are creakier than yours xD

• Like 5

I was definitely in the leaving ship last year and possibly the beginning of this year.

But we have a change of staff and also a change of spirit to go with it and now things are SO much better!

Suddenly everyone is interested and involved and just helping with everything.

So maybe just change half the staff every few years.....

• Like 6

Thank you all,

l have had a few staff leave due to going to uni, schools, got pregnant and not coming back. I employed a new DM and she got pregnant within months of starting job, so back to sq one for me, my good staff is leaving to go to uni this year same time DM is going on maternity leave, 2 key workers very frustrating, losing the willpower l am afraid and you get parents moaning about staff leaving, l cant compete with schools.

I seem to be hearing this more and more .... :(:( :( me included.

Me too!......just don't like where I see things going for packaway preschools, children and manager responsibilities!

I am approaching the year anniversary of closing my private nursery after 22 years and I have to say it was the best decision I have made. I now work in another nursery, I have none of the pressure and all of the pleasure and It was the best decision at the right time for me. I am in my early fifties and not in a position to retire but knew that running my own nursery was draining the life out of me. I now love going to work and I really love going home at the end of the day and forgetting about it until the following morning, if you feel it is the right time to sell TORO then listen to your heart.

Must admit to being tempted to going back to being an assistant or possibly sign up to do supply with capita/hays. Has anyone got experience of that?