Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is it just me?

I'm the manager of an 84 place setting, we're now in the summer term and our wage bill is 65% of our turnover, so today I had one pregnant staff member get signed off for a 5th week in a row and the staff member I brought in to cover her tell me 'I'm pregnant but might not have it but I cant decide so might get signed off for 8 weeks so I can decide',, I know all about employment law so I will comply completely but this will mean bringing another staff member in, so our wage bill will raise to 69%, this makes us financially unsustainable as we will be paying sick pay and cover, I know no one can give me the answer but I just need to vent,, I am going out of my mind!! xx

I completely understand, I'm in a similar situation with three staff pregnant and wages, the cost of cover plus PAYE costing an absolute fortune.

Will this person's doctor sign her off for eight weeks while she decides whether or not to terminate her pregnancy? I wouldn't have thought that is grounds for eight weeks off sick. :(

one word : stress. It is why she will get signed off..............

Well isn't it fortunate we don't all go to the doctor when things get stressful, we would have closed years ago.

(Sorry, no disrespect to people who are genuinely off work due to stress)

• Like 4

Indeed. Stress is a terrible thing to suffer from. However, I know of cases ( couple of our parents in fact) who happily say they need an extra couple of weeks off work, so they see their GP, claim stress and then get signed off.

( my apologies for the huge fat font I used in my previous post!!)

• Like 1

I feel for you! My worst year stress wise was 2 staff on maternity leave and 1 on long term sick, so 2 maternity cover wages and agency for the sick lady as the dr only signed her off every fortnight so couldn't advertise for longer cover. line manager was only interested in the bottom line - no I can't be in the office doing paper work and still be in ratio! "But you will be within hearing like it says in the EYFS!" yes I left and it shut fairly soon afterwards.

deep breath, bang a drum loudly during an impromptu music session and lots of coffee....... thinking of you x

So much to be said for my (very) 'mature' staff team - if any of us were pregnant we would be worth a fortune! ;):D

Too right Sunnyday we just suffer the menopause - silently if we're lucky

I can relate to both of those statements - personally!! We have a young apprentice and the work ethic is not like us of the older generation but at least her knees don't creak everytime she gets up! lol

xDxDxD

• Like 3

Me too,turn my back on young staff and they are discussing sun tans,nails,boyfriends,but they dont seem able to watch the children at the same time....if they are doing an observation,head down with about 8 children around them there is no interaction,.....if they are thirsty they leave the room to get their water without a thought of ratios.....when does this automatic'care'of the standards click in with them?I am still waiting for a 'new' member of staff from Jan 2014 to actually remember about ratios.....If I was a more hard employer I would tell them...but that would mean upsetting them and we are very rural...staff are very hard to come by ...I am 64 next tuesday....still working 3 days....and getting steamed up about my younger staff....

I can relate to both of those statements - personally!! We have a young apprentice and the work ethic is not like us of the older generation but at least her knees don't creak everytime she gets up! lol

xDxDxD

My youngest staff member is 38, in fact last year 3 of them turned 40, and I could technically have been mother to them all, this week I skidded in my own kitchen and landed rather awkwardly on the floor (oh the embarrassment of it all), but my staff have been brilliant, they take the mickey out of me to an extent, but they look after me, check up on me etc., Staffing wise, I have only ever employed somebody who has had a family and I think that makes a tremendous difference, it may very well not be politically correct, but being a mum gets a huge tick when we are interviewing.

• Like 3