Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stress at work....less at Sainsburys?

Well my staff do this sometimes. Just ignore it

My son has worked for one of the large supermarkets for a number of years. He does NOT get 12 weeks off per year (with 5.6 of it paid) he doesn't work just mornings, he gets to work weekends as well. Oh and dont forget the evenings!! He does get paid more than 9.06 per hour (my staff wages) but its taken a long time and he is now a manager, most of them dont pay much more than the minimum wage. Stacking shelves and dealing with rude customers can also be stressful. No he doesn't have to do stuff at home, but you know what they dont do that much now and it's part of their job. So I just say Ok- are you handing in your notice then? If you think they will pay more than I am happy to accept it.

Edited by lynned55

we have, but one of my daughters has a part time job at Sainsburys..................so, minimum wage; working bank holidays/saturday/Sunday ( no choice), late hours,, stressed people at the till, screaming children, bad-tempered customers who shout at you if you offer to help pack things, people who forgot something that they simply MUST have so they run back around the shop......and return with an extra 20 items (!), thus holding up the queue and making everyone else even angrier, hearing the same in-store announcements all day ( not to mention so here it is merry christmas!!)........worrying that it might be your turn to go out in freezing weather to collect the trolleys................................and the Christmas Eve rush of people demanding to know WHY you have no turkeys left........and working Boxing Day where people are asking you the same question.................sounds good, doesn't it :))))))))) Do you have a nectar card??/ are you collecting Active cards, have a nice day!!!

I had staff who used to do both, work in Asda and Preschool working out a suitable shift pattern for both.. it was the only way they could bring in a wage to coverall the bills etc. Our Asda are very good at working with other jobs, particularly as we were a charity.

The downside was .. yes they all left for the supermarket job, wages were better, they got paid for all the hours they worked , so no more unpaid hours, that alone made a huge difference to them, and they said dealing with stroppy customers was a doddle after the parents and children they had to deal with.

no matter how dedicated they were to early years , a wage for hours done and less stress won. I could not deny the fact that for many of them it was a better option, when they looked at the responsibility put on preschools considering we were looking after children , highly trained working just above minimum wage - (in this area cleaners get a more than that )

But that said many do just say it and not follow through like mine had to.

Edited by Inge

Do you ever do anything social as a staff? It wouldn't work for every group but sometimes we can get caught up in a cycle of talking over the same things and the more you talk about something the worse and bigger it seems. While I do think it's important to have a place to let off steam it might also be good to try and have something else to talk about - looking forward to a night out and reminiscing about it after can help break that cycle. Doesn't have to be anything fancy and you'd probably talk about work but it might be a start.

I also once created an Elf at work who would appear in different people rooms to see if they were smiling and set different challenges each day. This was in the run up to Christmas and if you didn't do them Santa wouldn't bring you present So! ;) Challenges were silly - cut out a snowflake, make a decoration out of a pipe cleaner, make a drink for someone, pay someone a compliment but it did help to refocus people a little.

The hassle, the constant drain on my emotions, the constant paperwork, the constant 'where's my kids jumper you've lost it', the constant pressures...... Would I work in sainsburys (or anywhere else ie asda) NO! Why because I love my job, I have passion for my job, I smile so much when a child says they love me! Or they come in smiling! Or the parent says Thank You! I stop a family from going hungry! I identify a safeguard issue and support that child and family!

God I get annoyed, piddled off, downtrodden but the day my passion goes is the day I leave childcare as my children deserve someone who is passionate. I have had staff who say this I tell them to take a week of just playing, no observations, no cross referencing and remember why they love their job, I also do the remember when such a such happened and you such a such did, where in a supermarket would you get such a diverse and challenging yet rewarding position. We all love our wages but none of us do it for the money (good job really) sometimes you can only inspire so much a person needs fire in their belly to do this job!

I try everyday to have a right good giggle with my staff team usually at my expense but I say to them I don't come to work to be miserable I want to come to have fun - so I do - I laugh all session (then I go bang my head on the wall outside as I leave) ha ha ha ha

Long post apologies :)

• Like 6

Well my staff do this sometimes. Just ignore it

My son has worked for one of the large supermarkets for a number of years. He does NOT get 12 weeks off per year (with 5.6 of it paid) he doesn't work just mornings, he gets to work weekends as well. Oh and dont forget the evenings!! He does get paid more than 9.06 per hour (my staff wages) but its taken a long time and he is now a manager, most of them dont pay much more than the minimum wage. Stacking shelves and dealing with rude customers can also be stressful. No he doesn't have to do stuff at home, but you know what they dont do that much now and it's part of their job. So I just say Ok- are you handing in your notice then? If you think they will pay more than I am happy to accept it.

Ha ha - this is what my director told me to say! She said that next time someone says this, I should say 'So I'll take that as your notice then?'. Lol. The good does outweigh the bad for my staff (in my opinion) and I do think they would find that the grass is no greener on the other side.....

I worked at Sainsbury's many moons ago too. Wages were actually very good then, probably better than they are today. And now I work Saturdays, Sundays, evenings, middle of the night... all unpaid of course, as well as my paid hours actually running the preschool and you know what, I'd still rather do this than Sainsbury's. None of my old customers tell me they love me, unlike some of the children I care for now :)

Pah! What's money?

I can't wait until I retire (another 10-15 years) then I can do the practitioner part of job as a volunteer.

I'm afraid I really do like my job and I am sure I couuld earn more money doing one or two other tupes of occupations but I would not get the same emotional reward.

I have to say that one of my secret rewards is that of fame. I am never going to be known for being on TV, as an actor or singer but when I walk into town and it takes me 3 hours just to buy a loaf of bread because so many people stop to say hello, I think I have made it! My 13 year old remarked that I was probably more famous than one direction!

PS sorry about the quote box below, I don't know what I have done to make it appear.

• Like 2