Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training requirements.

Hi,

Where i work the LA require staff to do 24 hours of training a week. As the setting employs quite a few staff some member of staff only work 1 or 2 sessions and because they have jobs else where they are unable to attend the training. They are all prepared to do 12-15 hours but it wouldn't be possible for them to do any more unless they do on-line courses. Does anyone know what the requirement is on part time workers.

I'm assuming you mean 24 hours a year? :blink:

There was a requirement of 4 days in the yearly provider pack (can't remember the proper name?!?!) we had to sign annually in order to receive our funding but it now has been removed and just says something along the lines of staff must continually develop professionally - so no actual amount of hours etc.....

LAs can no longer link number of hours CPD with funding, although they may still make recommendations. The statutory framework says

3.20 Providers must support staff to undertake appropriate training and professional development opportunities to ensure they offer quality learning and development experiences for children that continually improves.

It is up to you to decide what is appropriate through supervisions, knowledge of your setting's practice, strengths are areas to develop for each member of your team, your settings development plan etc.

At the end of the day CPD needs to be effective, so better to attend less that is good and influences your practice than to do xyz hours just to tick a box, but doesn't add anything to your provision.

CPD can also be inhouse such as professional discussions in staff meetings (rather than just house keeping things); reading; online, visiting the forum(!!!).

CPD can also be ......................................................................... visiting the forum(!!!).

Well I am well sorted then! :1b :1b :1b

Joking aside - I have only today had staff moaning (and very rightly so in our case) of being expected to be doing online training in their own time with no thanks or gratitude. (not from me I should add- I am very thankful about what they do- they are a great team)

• Like 2

Actually - thinking about it ...........perhaps we could ask Steve if we could have 'end of year' certificates with the amount of hours we have spent on here...............

.......................... or in may case maybe that's not such a good idea! :blink: :D:D

• Like 4

Actually - thinking about it ...........perhaps we could ask Steve if we could have 'end of year' certificates with the amount of hours we have spent on here...............

.......................... or in may case maybe that's not such a good idea! :blink: :D:D

Oh my goodness...that might be frightening!!!!

I think we might need to be very clear about how using the forum has influenced our practice for the better!

as opposed to annoying our partners/children/dog for spending soooo much time/money here.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)