Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

SEF How Often do you update?

thumperrabbit

When I wrote ours (a long time ago) I remember that we were supposed to get parents' input, ...

That is what I was thinking; how to get parents' input? Any ideas.

I have just completed ours and here we go - new version.

It is just the beginning of the term but I am already feeling that I need a holiday. :-(

• Like 1

Not sure what to make of this. I would definitely come back, not because I don't trust the team, but leaving them to face the music unsupported seems like abandonment to me. At least we get half a day's nice now so that situation should be avoided.

100% agree! We just had a 'plan' as to just 'why' I had actually turned up on a day off... :D:D ::1a :D

But as you say now with the half days notice it shouldn't be a problem now.

That is what I was thinking; how to get parents' input? Any ideas.

I have just completed ours and here we go - new version.

It is just the beginning of the term but I am already feeling that I need a holiday. :-(

For 'Parents input' - I include a few (complimentary :D ) comments that parents have added to their children's Learning Journey folders.......also record how we have responded to/acted upon parents comments on questionnaires......

I don't see anything in the new guidance on bringing parents into the evaluation of the setting (the content of the SEF), just to seek and listen to their views:

"[...] tell us about the views of the children and their parents or carers. [...] Things to consider include:

• how you obtain and use the views of others, for example through using parental questionnaires, parent meetings, [...]
  • whether parents are included in your management body or how else they contribute directly to the running of your provision
  • [...]
  • examples of any action you have taken to change your provision as a result of the views of others."
Edited by Wildflowers
  • Like 1

Wildflowers (or someone else clever) - please can you tell me how to copy and pasts from Word onto the on-line form? We have tried to do this and have failed utterly! Typing it all into those tiny boxes is sooooo frustrating.

I will be so very, very grateful for an answer.

Thank you - you'll make my day week!

Parent contributions (not necessarily directly about SEF)...

• comments rom questionnaires
  • quotes from leaving cards
  • comments written by parents on review sheets
  • verbal comments
  • have also asked a specific question with a yes or no answer, then asked parents to vote to make a decision e.g. would it be better for the children to eat tea at 3.00 or 4.00

We also keep any comments made by visiting professionals e.g. some have commented we are very inclusive

Wildflowers (or someone else clever) - please can you tell me how to copy and pasts from Word onto the on-line form? We have tried to do this and have failed utterly! Typing it all into those tiny boxes is sooooo frustrating.

I will be so very, very grateful for an answer.

Thank you - you'll make my day week!

Try this ...

Get your copy open in word and the SEF open

On your copy select all the text (it's best to do a section at a time) and then use CONTROL & C at the same time this copies your text (same as right click copy)

Then go to the SEF click in the box where you want to paste the text and use CONTROL & V at the same time

you should then see your text - well it works for me anyway! :P

• Like 1

Just woke up, couldn't get back to sleep and got bored lying in bed in the dark. Thought I may as well do something useful. Did go back to bed later and then overslept!!

When you get to this section on the on-line SEF there is a tab for more guidance on what should be in the section. Courtesy of another kind person on here (sorry I can't remember who) it says:

SECTION 6: OUTCOMES FOR CHILDREN

This section is about the progress of different groups of children from their starting points. You may find it helpful to refer to pages 41–44 of the early years inspection handbook, pages 10–12 of the EYFS and Early Years Outcomes. You should evaluate how well you:

• identify children’s starting points and the progress they are making over time
  • support children who are disadvantaged or under-performing to catch up
  • help children to work at typical levels of development for their age, including those whose development exceeds what is typical for their age
  • help children to develop skills that will help them to be ready for the next stage of learning.

Do not just list what you do but consider the impact of your work and how well you and any assistants that work with you:

• challenge children to develop and make good progress towards the early learning goals from their starting points
  • help children to think critically, play and explore and be active and creative learners
  • check the progress children are making across the areas of learning
  • ensure that children achieve as much as they can in relation to their starting points
  • help children to enjoy their learning, be motivated and excited to take part in activities

Hi Everyone,

I am currently awaiting my first Ofsted inspection, I completed the SEF after about 6 months of taking over the nursery and need to update it again. When you update, do you start again from scratch? I sort of want to keep the original things i wrote as well as write the new as i think it would be useful for the inspector to see how far we have come, especially after the state the place was in when i took over! I wondered if it was the done thing to maybe keep the original stuff and write the new in a different colour to distinguish between the two? Opinions please, Thanks in advance

I do mine when significant changes occur and look through it in the summer holidays.

we had an inspection in May this year and one of the first things the inspector said was that she had read the SEF and was very impressed with it as it is bullet pointed and to the point. She ploughs through some SEFS and as she is reading thinks "When are we getting to the point?" but ours was spot on. I was very pleased with her comments.

I put parents comments in, taking them from questionnaires and we have a children's questionnaire and I write their comments in the appropriate sections.

V

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I am currently awaiting my first Ofsted inspection, I completed the SEF after about 6 months of taking over the nursery and need to update it again. When you update, do you start again from scratch? I sort of want to keep the original things i wrote as well as write the new as i think it would be useful for the inspector to see how far we have come, especially after the state the place was in when i took over! I wondered if it was the done thing to maybe keep the original stuff and write the new in a different colour to distinguish between the two? Opinions please, Thanks in advance

Hi pebbles and a very warm welcome to the forum :1b

Noooooo - I definitely don't 'start again from scratch' - perish the thought :blink: xD

• Like 2

HI all i was wondering if anyone uses their own self evaluation instead of Ofsteds online one and if so what format do you use? thankyou :)

We used to but at our one of our inspections we were then pulled up for not self-evaluating enough - e.g., we hadn't done the Ofsted SEF !!!!

well i may as well have as it hadn't been looked at by last inspector anyway :-/

Having spent forever getting the SEF sorted and updated whenever they changed the format we thought we had cracked it. During my last inspection (May this year) the inspector started going on about SEF updates and during the conversation it transpired that the one she had pulled off the Ofsted portal was the one that was out of date - thankfully we were able to show her a print out of the one we had done in February.

I don't think it was her error as she was going to go back to Ofsted to ask why the old one was still on there!

Hi Pebbles. DEFINITELY no need to start from scratch! When you open it to edit, it's all there so just make any changes you need. If you do a print out of it you can use it as a working document to write on and make changes as you go along. That way, you can see what you changed, and when, if you want to keep details like that.

Edited by Cait
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)