Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Overwhelmed

I can't imagine I'm the only one - I can honestly say I have never felt so overwhelmed as I currently feel. It just never seems to end and there are not enough hours in the day. As for the EYFS making our life easier and less paperwork blah blah blah - well...........

Definitely not just you. It is a roller coaster up and down from one week to the next. This year started out horrendous but has improved a lot at the moment but you never know what is waiting round the corner.

Are you term time only? Is there hope of a break so you can catch your breath?

• Like 1

Was only saying today there is so much to do and I hate not feeling on top of things, feels like everything I'm managing to get done each day at the moment is because tomorrow will be to late :( and it's mainly due to having to be with the children, not necessarily to keep ratios correct but just because of what seems to be ever more challenging behaviour and more support for 2 year olds....looking forward to the holiday so I can go to work and do MY job.......I take my hat off to all of you still having to manage and count in ratio's :(

• Like 4

I'm with you Taffygirl. Never enough hours in the day and I hate that feeling when you find another piece of paper and think "Oh no, I haven't called them / replied to that email / sorted that out / paid that / told them that important piece of information / bought that / written that letter (and actually posted it!) / filled in that form / filed that / planned that / found that ...

Hope it helps to know you're far from being alone. I know there will be others along to say the same.

• Like 6

It's so true and all the different hats we have to juggle, health visitor, teacher, counsellor, mediator and cleaner and cook. Surely there is more to it than this, albeit I love seeing the children engaging and developing. But the stress for us - bah!!

Just come on here to have a break from my 'I must do for tomorrow' list... and find this topic. xD

I feel like I'm in quicksand at the moment :blink:

We too have had a child with particularly challenging behaviour this year, and it has ground the whole team down, we don't seem to able to have the usual fun-time that we normally have these last few weeks. :( :( :(

xxx

• Like 1

I'm feeling exactly the same. There just aren't enough hours in the day. I try and have a plan for what I want to achieve each day.. but today I had 2 showrounds, phone calls asking to come and look round, a settling in session with a nervous parent....

We are all year round, but thank goodness our numbers do drop over the holidays, I've booked a week with one of my staff members to update all the ofsted stuff, sef, improvements plans, and make sure everything is update. I'll have to cover her place in her room but I need someone to help me and keep me on task!!!

Another showround tomorrow so that'll be another hour out of my morning!

Sigh.... I've booked 2 whole weeks off in August, so I will have a holiday :)

• Like 2

I can't imagine I'm the only one - I can honestly say I have never felt so overwhelmed as I currently feel. It just never seems to end and there are not enough hours in the day. As for the EYFS making our life easier and less paperwork blah blah blah - well...........

Oh yes, yes and yes........I am really struggling - constantly playing 'catch up' .......I do have my dear old mum in hospital too - so that's a good couple of hours out of each day for visiting - not that I begrudge that :1b just that there weren't enough hours to start with! :1b

• Like 3

Do you know what - I have just got home from a meeting where not only have 3 people holding this meeting do all the stuff we managers and owners do, BUT they have also now agreed to take over as lead People in our Collaboration. because Kent like so many other local authorities no longer offer settings and schools training (unless we pay for it) we are having to come up with groups in the area to get together to support one another and to pool our resources money or otherwise to see that our staff continue to receive training. I cannot tell you how many hours these 3 girls have put in to set this up.

I am very grateful that they have set this up, but of course it is an ongoing thing, now they have to run it too. But shame on Kent County Council for not offering very much support or assistance to them or their settings or indeed the county's settings any longer.

All KKC are interested in is our Collaboration buying into their training packages.

• Like 1

YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSS to all of the above (except Finleysmaid - well done, wel jel - I achieved zilch today - just more 'leftovers' for tomorrow!)

I am soo glad to hear it's not just a monster that I have created (but definitely not soo glad that we all feel this way :( )

I seem to start something and either get interrupted so start to sort/address/tackle that or start something, remember something more important cos i is old and low in memory and go on to that; which triggers another 'something' THERE'S ALWAYS BLIDDY SOMETHING! and seemingly only me capable of doing it!

<wanders off twittering about the good ole days where we played and interacted and had fun and the children learned just as much and we all went home and had a few hours to ourselves before doing it all again -sigh- >

solutions anyone??

Always catch up but hey that's life, other jobs are the same( I know I also have another job)

BUT being with the children is important and fun, they make my job special.

I divide my morning between paperwork and playtime, I write a list (achievable) complete that then play

Sometimes I can't get it done and I do it in the afternoon in my own time. When I need a full morning pen pushing I pull in another member of staff so I'm not in ratios

Here's another one joining! At the moment I neither work nor rest well - by work I mean all that needs to be done when not with the children (which I am six hours per day). My solution (not yet implemented) is to focus on what absolutely needs to be done before the end of term and do the rest after some rest.

Ha! I find there is 2 types of days... the first one is a getting things done day where everything seems smoothly, the phone doesn't ring and you actually feel like you're getting somewhere. And then you have days where you know by 10am that it's not getting back on track... Ah well.

Since deciding to close my setting (next friday) I have been amazed at how much I have enjoyed 'doing things for the last time'. It is astonishing how much I have been doing by myself as a sole trader for the last 22 years, including deep cleaning, grocery shopping, report writing, HR, counselling, accounts, IT, maintenance, innovating, supervising and mentoring, my to do list is actually shrinking and I will be stepping off the treadmill very soon. However, I can honestly say that I have never felt overwhelmed, my advice for coping? take time off, what doesn't get done today will wait, I have always had other hobbies and interests and by often putting myself first I have coped with what ever has been launched my way over the decades. I hope you all get to enjoy some time off this summer, and I mean time off, no sneaking in any paperwork which 'just needs doing quickly'. Life is to short to be feeling 'overwhelmed' by a mere job

I am so glad it's not just me and my setting - We expect to be busy in September with our new starters and returners all settling bakc in but I've been saying since October last year "I'm sure it will slow down soon" - with just a couple of weeks to go it most certainly doesn't feel like it!!!!

Sorry to hear about your mum Sunnyday - hope she is on the mend x

• Like 2

We are currently rated 'inadequate' by Ofsted and I can promise you overwhelmed' is my middle name, it is absolutely devastating and I'm wondering whether its even worth trying, because the EYFS changes again in Sep then in 2016 and if we get a new Government in 2015 then it will change then too. My job involves HR, shopping, sales, supervision, staff development, parent liason, working with other settings, DIY, CPD, supervision, unblocking toilets, SENCO lead, Child Protection lead, cleaner, mentor, bad cop, DOGS BODY ect ect ect

I used to love my job and every morning I would jump out of bed to get there. Now I feel an utter failure, I'm working 6am-7pm then coming home and doing more paperwork, There has to be a better way to earn a living, one that doesn't involve missing endless family time just to be somewhere where I have failed??? I dont think I can do this anymore :( xx

• Like 1

Max, is it wrong of me to ask why you decided to close? xx

not enough children to reopen in september, The writing has been on the wall for a couple of years, no business can survive indefinitely when I am paid £4.00 an hour by the government and it actually costs £6.00 for a child to be cared for. My son went to uni last september and I wanted my evenings/weekends back to spend time with my precious husband so it was not really a difficult decision and is all working out perfectly. All my staff have new brilliant new jobs as do I, my friend is taking over the rent of the building and I am excited that she is branching out in her own business and most of my toys/equipment is sold, oh and I am off to Zante next sunday after we close on friday. I hope things work out for you, can you offload some of the work to your staff, I found that helped a lot, even though they never did things as I would!, I eventually came to terms with it. I know its hard, but try to take some time for yourself and your family, don't worry about changes in 2015 or 2016, just take each day one at a time and walk away at the end of each day telling yourself ' I did all I could', no one can ask more of you

Thanks ladies, we had our monitoring visit today, two months and one day after inspection The inspector said we have made significant progress in a short time. I should feel better but I think my nerves are just shot to pieces so I'm going to get an really early night and hope things are brighter in the morning.

Max that sounds amazing, I'm so pleased for you :) xx

Caffinefreak - I feel just like you at the moment...I have issues with committee who think they know better and could do better and asking questions about stuff ive done for years - making me feel im not good enough and I really am not enjoying going to work at all :-(

Seriously questioning why I do it at all now.

what happened to the 'walking a mile in another's moccassins' before criticising what they do!!!!!!!!

Trekker, I'm sorry to hear things are tough for you :( I have all but decided to leave the profession and I'm feeling more at peace now. I will stay until reinspection as I owe that to the setting and our families, but I can't stay in an industry where one day in five years can have such an utterly devastating effect on my whole life. I was due to start my BA in Early Years in September, that seems like a different world away now, I'm not sure what I'll end up doing but I know it wont be this anymore.

I hope things get easier on you xxx

Caffeinefreak I am in exactly the same position, we had our monitoring visit 4 weeks ago and our full inspection has to be done by the 4th Sept, we close on 17th July until 3rd September. So hope it is before we break up but I have a horrible feeling it won't be. Totally agree that one day can change so much, two 'goods' shortly followed by an 'inadequate' when nothing was different.

There is something wrong with the system when we are all feeling so overwhelmed - I am in the process of buying the business but don't have 2 mins to sort that out and l am seriously considering if I am doing the right thing.

Here's hoping we all feel better after a few weeks off(for those lucky enough to get the 6 week break). Chins up x

• Like 1

Exactly the same hopetg, two goods, a load of what I though were improvements and then an inadequate, I can't sleep, eat or think about anything else, that can't be right.

I hope you get some peace over the holiday, I would love to close for a week and just have a massive sort out but we are open 51 weeks a year so no chance to stop and take stock. I'm thinking of you and hoping all goes well for you xxx

I think you are all summing up the huge issue with how things work for us all.

We are due an inspection soon but I really have no idea at all whether we will remain good, get an outstanding or be requires improvement. Despite years of working at full speed, constant effort to be better, huge amounts of stress, I just have no idea what will actually happen.

• Like 4