Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Give me strength!

sunnyday

I have a pint of beer on the desk next to me!

I was spat at today. It hit my eyes, cheeks and lips. I. WAS. NOT. HAPPY.

Vuvuzela was in too so all in all a pretty hilarious morning :wacko:

Rather fabulous news too, offered our long term student the managers job (details in my blog for those of you wondering why) she's very excited to accept and that makes me so relieved and happy the morning might almost not have happened :D:D:D:D

Edited by Rea
  • Like 2

We had an external visitor to school today who was observing my lesson. At the end of the session we were meant to be doing joint observations of a range of children. It would have worked so much better if she'd actually listened to the children. A couple of boys were exploring our button drawer and having lovely conversations about what they found. One boy pulled out a button and said "this looks like a cone!" (It did so I'm mentally noting the use of mathematical language). Our visitor misheard him, thought he said coat so asked him where he would find it. His response... A slightly confused "in the button drawer!"

She did the same to a different boy - one of my shyer, more reluctant talkers where adults are concerned. He was quite clearly lining up to make a den - putting pegs along the top of a clothes horse. He has a green, yellow then a green peg so she started asking questions about the pattern he was making. Including which peg she should give him next - he was completely baffled and said "pink? Purple." I happen to know that he struggles with repeating patterns but still.

And the intended focus of our observations? All the communication and language aspects!

Am I being unreasonable?

Give me strength!

So did you 'set her straight'?

Well I've had a response from the council - if I want to arrange an outing that includes such extreme sports as an egg and spoon race then I must apply for an events license (£100 plus VAT), undertake a full risk assessment, plough through the councils event safety guidance and ensure that we adhere to the event guidelines documentation.

Quite frankly I just can't be bothered to battle the red tape so will be organising an outing to somewhere slightly less officious!

TGIF - I think I shall be tucking into a well earned alcoholic beverage v. shortly

Give me strength!

The world has truly gone mad :o

Amazing!

My week has probably been the worst in a long time so very very happy it's Friday. Quite frankly we had fractious grizzly whiny children most days, it's like the end of Autumn term, not summer.

Let's hope for better next week.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday very difficult sessions for us too - all the 'older group' - these are previously very settled, capable children so I'm wondering if it's a case of 'I'm going to schoolitis':

I'm not going to school until September - but everyone - mummy, daddy, my grandparents and any random friends parents, grandparents are all going on and on about it so it must be a very big deal and I don't actually understand when September is - is that tomorrow, next week, must be very soon because everyone keeps going on about it, what happens when you go to school anyway, must be very different to pre-school because mummy, daddy and...... well everyone - keep saying "you won't be able to do that when you go to big school" and/or "you will have to do that by yourself when you go to big school" - oh and how 'big' is it - must be very 'big' - I'm not sure if I will like 'big'..... :blink:

• Like 8

Rather fabulous news too, offered our long term student the managers job (details in my blog for those of you wondering why) she's very excited to accept and that makes me so relieved and happy the morning might almost not have happened :D:D:D:D

Fabulous news Rea! :1b

• Like 2

Give me strength!

So did you 'set her straight'?

Afraid I didn't. I've had a horrible experience with an advisor in the past. I did try to talk further to her about the den one but she didn't want to listen to me either and suggested that I provide more opportunities for him to lead the learning as he'd been much more confident when she saw him again later (once the den was built and she was asking him about that!)

When I was talking to my HT later I did say to him what I thought. I also suggested that if the focus of the obs was how adults develop children's independence it might be useful to occasionally ask How could you do that? Rather than telling them what to do. At that point he started giggling as he'd noticed that too.

I'm really open to advice - as I've said many times it's lonely being the only person with any EY experience in a school - however, I'm getting fed up of advice which essentially seems to be 'do things my way' when it doesn't solve any identifiable problems.

Overall, given past experiences, I'm glad it's over and that she didn't have any negative things to say.

• Like 1

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday very difficult sessions for us too - all the 'older group' - these are previously very settled, capable children so I'm wondering if it's a case of 'I'm going to schoolitis':

I'm not going to school until September - but everyone - mummy, daddy, my grandparents and any random friends parents, grandparents are all going on and on about it so it must be a very big deal and I don't actually understand when September is - is that tomorrow, next week, must be very soon because everyone keeps going on about it, what happens when you go to school anyway, must be very different to pre-school because mummy, daddy and...... well everyone - keep saying "you won't be able to do that when you go to big school" and/or "you will have to do that by yourself when you go to big school" - oh and how 'big' is it - must be very 'big' - I'm not sure if I will like 'big'..... :blink:

Really like this Sunnyday, so much so, that i'd like to pinch it for my Newsletter if that's ok?!

For me it isn't just the older Reception aged group it's also the other 15 that are leaving to go to school nursery as well

as you can imagine tensions are running quite high now ..... how many more weeks left?! :blink: :D

Goodness I'm going to be published in thumper's newsletter :wub:

Feel free thumper! :D

Do you have a 'pen name' or shall I use Sunnyday? I can give you credit then :1b

I just thought it was really, really well put, I know as staff we are fed up of hearing the parents saying it to the children (don't they think about that it makes us feel as if we aren't valued) just never really thought what the children must be thinking, bless them

Do you have a 'pen name' or shall I use Sunnyday? I can give you credit then :1b

I just thought it was really, really well put, I know as staff we are fed up of hearing the parents saying it to the children (don't they think about that it makes us feel as if we aren't valued) just never really thought what the children must be thinking, bless them

Sunnyday is fine thank you thumper! ;):D thank you for your kind words :wub:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grrrrrr - this is a massive 'Give me strength' type situation.......

Prospective new parent has rung a couple of times - had failed to reach me - I had rung back and failed to reach her - anyway finally managed to speak today........

Doesn't live in 'my' village but just outside - conversation starts well enough - I ask if she knows anything much about our setting (answer no) tell her that I will send her a Prospectus and a copy of our last Ofsted report and suggests that she comes to visit so that she can see our setting in action and determine whether we are the right choice for her......

Then I ask - "have you got any idea of which sessions you might be looking for.......

Her reply - "only two, I don't want to send him at all really" (there are ways of saying this that I would completely accept and understand but her tone suddenly turned very hard/brusque)

Me: "oh dear, right, that's not going to make for a good working relationship, perhaps you shouldn't send him at all then, if that's not what you really want"

Her reply: "no I know that he has to come"

Me: "but that's just it - he doesn't have to come at all - and I'm not comfortable about taking him if you are not fully on-board"

Conversation went to and fro like this for quite some time.......he's not a first child and she said "my older son had to go through it"

I was ever so slightly losing the will by this point 'go through it' - what on earth is she thinking and whatever sort of experience did her first son have :blink:

She is coming to visit and I have emailed info as promised - but, actually......I'm not going to take on a new child with a parent with this sort of attitude - i don't need to do any sort of 'hard sell' - my places have always filled quickly and frankly I sooner be out of pocket than battle that sort of 'nonsense'!!! :ph34r:

I'm actually fascinated to meet her and to see what her impressions are of my setting and to see whether she changes at all once she has been to visit........

Could be the start of an interesting situation - I have never before turned down a child because I didn't think I could work with a parent - if she lived in my village I would never consider doing so - but she doesn't and there's plenty of choice out there!

I would be tempted to make my setting look absolutely fabulous and then mention that unfortunately you have just let the last available space - v. unprofessional I know but really life is hard enough without having to do battle with a parent who doesn't want the service you offer anyway :mellow:

• Like 2

anyone want a spare grandma?? Child arrived today, with grandma. We have a storm brewing, so grandma says, quite seriously..........' I have promised D that it is not going to rain today as he doesn't like it. I know he is terrified of thunder and lightning, so I said it won't happen here, as it has to visit all the other towns first, so it won't be here until after he goes home where he'll be safe'...............................grandma was gone for all of five minutes..........then BOOOOOOM!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOM< CRASHHHHHHHHHH> FLASH< FLASH.................................child is clearly shaking in his boots, and says...........granny PROMISED me the rain wouldn't come, or the bangs and flashes. ( I want to tell him that I'm going to call granny back so i can throttle her, but i suspect she's hiding under the stairs). So, I have put on my biggest, smiliest face and declared how much I LOVE thunderstorms( which is true)........so we talked about booms sound like drums ( when we have our gathering drum out) and the flashes are like fireworks ( he apprantly likes those), or torches in the dens.............and he seems to be ok, though he did tut and shake his little head, and said, 'daddy said the flashes can kill you'...........I hope he is hiding under the stairs with his mum! I know storms can be scarey, but why on earth say stuff like this to children??

I read that while shaking my head. I can only repeat what I wrote in reply to Sunnyday!

On a more positive note though, this kind of thing always makes me feel I did a darn good job bring up my lads :rolleyes: :D

Edited by Rea

anyone want a spare grandma?? Child arrived today, with grandma. We have a storm brewing, so grandma says, quite seriously..........' I have promised D that it is not going to rain today as he doesn't like it. I know he is terrified of thunder and lightning, so I said it won't happen here, as it has to visit all the other towns first, so it won't be here until after he goes home where he'll be safe'...............................grandma was gone for all of five minutes..........then BOOOOOOM!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOM< CRASHHHHHHHHHH> FLASH< FLASH.................................child is clearly shaking in his boots, and says...........granny PROMISED me the rain wouldn't come, or the bangs and flashes. ( I want to tell him that I'm going to call granny back so i can throttle her, but i suspect she's hiding under the stairs). So, I have put on my biggest, smiliest face and declared how much I LOVE thunderstorms( which is true)........so we talked about booms sound like drums ( when we have our gathering drum out) and the flashes are like fireworks ( he apprantly likes those), or torches in the dens.............and he seems to be ok, though he did tut and shake his little head, and said, 'daddy said the flashes can kill you'...........I hope he is hiding under the stairs with his mum! I know storms can be scarey, but why on earth say stuff like this to children??

I completely despair of some people :(

• Like 1

Oh Narnia :ph34r: ! :bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas: !!!!!

I had a parent come in with their child today ...saying in a loud voice that he was going to stay with her because she was scared of pre-school :blink:

I asked if i could have a quiet word....well i need to be in her sight he said! <_<

After an hour and a half of counselling him....he left -_-

His daughter of course during the whole of this time was playing happily with one of my assistants :ph34r: :blink:

We had a child whose Mum used to cling to the child when she was leaving, she would cling and hug and tell him it was okay, she really, really would come back and not forget him. Sigh, probably wouldn't have entered his head before that, but she made such a big thing of it until he got hysterical. She said 'oh I knew he wouldn't settle, how much more reassuring can I be? He has to come to school, I have told him, he has to go until he is 18 years old' (Oh for crying out loud) Anyway we bundled her out of the door and my assistant calmed the child down and he was fine, until she arrived at the door at hometime when he started crying again. she said 'Oh did Mummy leave you in the nasty Preschool? (gee thanks)' We carried on like this for a fortnight then I suggested that perhaps she wasn't ready to be parted from him yet, and perhaps she could leave it for a term or two. He didn't return, but we heard that they had gone through exactly the same parting routine when he started school.

We had a child whose Mum used to cling to the child when she was leaving, she would cling and hug and tell him it was okay, she really, really would come back and not forget him. Sigh, probably wouldn't have entered his head before that, but she made such a big thing of it until he got hysterical. She said 'oh I knew he wouldn't settle, how much more reassuring can I be? He has to come to school, I have told him, he has to go until he is 18 years old' (Oh for crying out loud) Anyway we bundled her out of the door and my assistant calmed the child down and he was fine, until she arrived at the door at hometime when he started crying again. she said 'Oh did Mummy leave you in the nasty Preschool? (gee thanks)' We carried on like this for a fortnight then I suggested that perhaps she wasn't ready to be parted from him yet, and perhaps she could leave it for a term or two. He didn't return, but we heard that they had gone through exactly the same parting routine when he started school.

:o :huh: :blink: :( that says it all really.........

• Like 1

Thursday morning a child arrives in pre-school clearly unwell. Bright bright red cheeks, eyes that do not look normal and not a smile to be seen. Anyway I was busy and did not greet this family, staff member questioned Mum about the cheeks and was told it was the sun from the previous afternoon when she had gone out with her big sister. As soon as I saw the child I rang Mum and asked that she come and collect, as the child clearly was unwell and should not be at school. And what was the response? Well I told her not to go, but she insisted!! THIS CHILD IS THREE YEARS OLD, WHO IS IN CHARGE? PARENT OR CHILD!! This seems to be a common problem at the moment with a lot of families, I really do not understand them. :huh:

• Like 4

Thursday morning a child arrives in pre-school clearly unwell. Bright bright red cheeks, eyes that do not look normal and not a smile to be seen. Anyway I was busy and did not greet this family, staff member questioned Mum about the cheeks and was told it was the sun from the previous afternoon when she had gone out with her big sister. As soon as I saw the child I rang Mum and asked that she come and collect, as the child clearly was unwell and should not be at school. And what was the response? Well I told her not to go, but she insisted!! THIS CHILD IS THREE YEARS OLD, WHO IS IN CHARGE? PARENT OR CHILD!! This seems to be a common problem at the moment with a lot of families, I really do not understand them. :huh:

We frequently seem to find ourselves saying "Who's the grown up?"

• Like 1