Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Give me strength!

sunnyday

Not nuts exactly but I confess to having been a little perplexed before and in a way envious. Nuts is probably naming the spider that scuttles across your living room floor and then having a chat with it - along the lines of "Well, there you are, I haven't seen you for ages!" when it's probably not the same spider. Unless 'Bill' is a spider of particular longevity!

I totally get the 'pet' spider thing! :1b I absolutely can't bear it when people kill them - 'just because they can' - my daughter in law used to 'hoover' them up :o she doesn't do that anymore ;)

Not sure that I've ever had a conversation with a spider though :blink: xD

Cat knows I'm not happy she has stayed outside even though it's now raining hard - she is sort glowering at me from under the shelter of a hedge xD she'll change her tune when she's hungry!!!

You see, I'm not afraid of spiders exactly but my house is older and very spidery and Bill used to scuttle very suddenly and very fast across the floor. Saying "Hello," and "There you are!" made me feel better about him somehow and I could occasionally tell him off for making me jump!

I currently have a little boy in my class who kills things because they're there - he really doesn't get why I get cross. :angry: :(

• Like 1

I hate killing spiders so when there was one in the bath yesterday and I saw hubby was about to turn the tap on I shouted 'No, dont kill it'. So he didnt drown it, he picked it up and threw it out the window instead!! :huh: :D

I hate killing spiders so when there was one in the bath yesterday and I saw hubby was about to turn the tap on I shouted 'No, dont kill it'. So he didnt drown it, he picked it up and threw it out the window instead!! :huh: :D

Hmmmmm - from a great height? :o

Did you know, the spider fell into your bath one way or another and because of the shiny surface can't get out without help he certainly didn't come up the drain pipe!. He was probably doing what most male species are at the moment looking for a mate. I'm sure he would be fine going out of the window, but probably a house/carpet spider so will just come back in again!

Sorry to change subject here BUT I'm flaming furious at the moment! Just made the play dough and for the second time lately it's gone all sticky, despite doing it the way I always have in the past, I must assume however that I've put too much or too little of something in, it's looking at me from the work bench at the moment all sticky and forlorn Grrrrr

Sorry to change subject here BUT I'm flaming furious at the moment! Just made the play dough and for the second time lately it's gone all sticky, despite doing it the way I always have in the past, I must assume however that I've put too much or too little of something in, it's looking at me from the work bench at the moment all sticky and forlorn Grrrrr

Oh no :o - have you tried working some more flour in?

Ref 'changing the subject' - I love this sort of thread - we have gone from me sighing about one of my mums - we have had a go at Health Visitors and advice re breast feeding - dead dogs - cats, ferrets, spiders and now we are on sticky play-dough xD

• Like 2

perhaps we need a new thingy area entitled "Give me strength", it brings out the best in us. xDxD :blink:

Yes have plied it with more flour than it could possibly need - it's like I put 3 pints of water in it, rather than 3 cups! Have now arranged it so it can "dry" out a bit. Just have that sinking feeling - you know when your dough isn't going to turn out right! But have no idea what I did to make it so - given that I've been making the stupid stuff since oldest child was knee high and he's 30 this year!

• Like 1

perhaps we need a new thingy area entitled "Give me strength", it brings out the best in us. xDxD :blink:

Yes have plied it with more flour than it could possibly need - it's like I put 3 pints of water in it, rather than 3 cups! Have now arranged it so it can "dry" out a bit. Just have that sinking feeling - you know when your dough isn't going to turn out right! But have no idea what I did to make it so - given that I've been making the stupid stuff since oldest child was knee high and he's 30 this year!

Yep - 'Give me strength' area - could be good! xD

Without knowing which recipe you use it's hard to know what else to suggest - is it a cooked one - if so give it a whizz in the microwave.......

• Like 1

Panders I've had the same problem a couple of times recently and I was following the same recipe I usually use and it's normally fairly forgiving. Did result in smiles as my sleeves were slipping down and I couldn't pull them up due to sticky playdough hands so I was using my teeth! My HT offered to pull my sleeve up to save me knawing my arm off then did the other sleeve so they were symmetrical! I felt like I was about 4!

I was thinking earlier that I've loved this thread too - a gentle meandering from one subject to another!

As another subject change - has anyone read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"? I finished it this morning and really enjoyed it. That isn't a totally unrelated change - it has the same 'gentle meandering' quality as this thread and has ferrets in it so of course I thought of Rea!

• Like 1

try putting it in the microwave for one minute ...kneading and then another minute (might need 3 if it is large)

As another subject change - has anyone read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"? I finished it this morning and really enjoyed it. That isn't a totally unrelated change - it has the same 'gentle meandering' quality as this thread and has ferrets in it so of course I thought of Rea!

No - will look out for that then........I have read 'In Cold Weather Fish change Direction' - completely unrelated apart from the pretty bizarre titles :1b

No - will look out for that then........I have read 'In Cold Weather Fish change Direction' - completely unrelated apart from the pretty bizarre titles :1b

Will look out for that too - when I've read some of the 35. Am half-way through number one right now.

I will be a total wreck when anything happens to my beautiful dog. He has become one of the family and I am not ashamed to say that I talk to him constantly!! As you can see he is complete wuss.attachicon.gifIMG_20140113_154455.jpg

zigzag - he's beautiful - hope you have many happy years with him :1b

I know what you mean about talking to him - I used to talk to mine all the time and when I have the pleasure of looking after my younger sons Chocolate Lab - I slip right back into it - lots of "well what do you make of that then Alf" etc etc xD I love having him they think I'm doing them a huge favour too which is 'handy' ;) :rolleyes: I need to call one of those huge favours in this week - my daughter in law is lending me a hand at pre-school on Thursday :1b

as a Guernsey girl i have indeed!...good book!

try putting it in the microwave for one minute ...kneading and then another minute (might need 3 if it is large)

well you two, I did put it back in the pan, I cook mine in a saucepan - it was still sticky but added yet more flour. Left it out on the work top for 10 minutes or so, stretched out to dry out a little. Anyway at the moment it's wrapped in cling film and just checked it and it appears to be much better, we'll see when I turn it out tomorrow. If it's half way decent by the time it's been chopped into a million bits, dropped on the floor, wrapped around a doll and nuked in their little microwave it'll do nicely :o)

• Like 4

Keep smileing is what I say to my staff and then go and have a right old giggle with them. Its a tuff job but somebody has to do it :)

I had a lot of trouble with my play dough. I think it is this natural food colouring. I have to put two bottles in instead of 1 to get a decent colour and up the bicarbonate of soda to 3 teaspoons instead of 2. Pinging it in the microwave for a minute or so if still sticky does seem to help.

As for talking to animals, mine should all speak as I talk to the cat, dog, 3 guinea pigs and even the fish who can't hear me!

• Like 1

I spent the last 45 minutes of the day with my head teacher writing a risk assessment for the physical restraint of a child who's preferred method of dealing with anyone who doesn't let him get his own way is to either kick or hit that person or to throw anything and everything (rocks, toys, guttering, paper) at them. He trashed (literally) the classroom while we were out at assembly this morning - he refused to come and stayed behind with 2 other adults and then repeated the behaviour throughout the morning and lunch time. As a result of his behaviour I didn't hear my readers at lunch, half of the reception children didn't get to do their writing with me and my poor year ones who were meant to be getting an introductory session on similes instead got what amounted to "these are some examples, have a go yourself"

A different child reached the point where he will have a lunchtime detention tomorrow and I tried so hard to stop things getting to that stage. I don't know how to help him anymore.

One of my year ones looked at me like I was insane and couldn't answer when I asked her what happened next in Cinderella (we have told it 3 times so far this week)

Other children have all been 'niggly' and to cap it all an old whiplash injury is playing up so my neck/ shoulder has seized up and was causing me so much pain I felt sick by lunchtime.

Feeling fed up and frustrated and would like the night off but there's some work I must do tonight!

Edited by Froglet