Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Give me strength!

sunnyday

Well, 'better' in the sense that the child turned up, but mum was very short with us. Her son told us that daddy had crashed mummy's car, so we guessed that might have contributed to the bad humour yesterday. However,when she came to collect, i commiserated with mum, asked how bad the car was and she looked at me as if I was an idiot. Turns out he has a very vivid imagination! I also asked if he was ok, no problems after yesterday's hair incident? Her reply? 'Don't be so utterly ridiculous, of COURSE he's ok'..........Mine? In my head, I swore. From my mouth? 'Ah, well, that's fine'......................... ;)

'Don't be so utterly ridiculous, of COURSE he's ok'..........Mine? In my head, I swore. From my mouth? 'Ah, well, that's fine'......................... ;)

:o That is how my face looks right now - how dare she speak to you like that..........

• Like 1

Sure will Sunnyday xD

Well, 'better' in the sense that the child turned up, but mum was very short with us. Her son told us that daddy had crashed mummy's car, so we guessed that might have contributed to the bad humour yesterday. However,when she came to collect, i commiserated with mum, asked how bad the car was and she looked at me as if I was an idiot. Turns out he has a very vivid imagination! I also asked if he was ok, no problems after yesterday's hair incident? Her reply? 'Don't be so utterly ridiculous, of COURSE he's ok'..........Mine? In my head, I swore. From my mouth? 'Ah, well, that's fine'......................... ;)

She sounds such a sweetie, shame they have to leave us really :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Oh narnia, we had a couple of parents like this a few years back. No matter what we did, it was wrong and they were so rude in how they spoke to us. Thankfully we have a GREAT bunch of parents at the moment and am hoping the new starters in September will be just as supportive, polite and adult!! Keep smiling, even if it is through gritted teeth!!

Honestly Narnia it sometimes begs belief what we have to put up with - One of my little one's decided to make a disclosure today (why is it always Friday afternoons) so I've ended this week of with a safeguarding issue :ph34r: I think I'm off to the pub with Rea.

Do you know once upon a time I thought my job was to play with children and support their learning and development - at the moment I'm beginning to wonder what a small child is as I knuckle down to a bit of light paperwork - just a few safeguarding notes, an SEN panel set of notes to try to get one of ours a statement etc. etc. etc. :huh:

Sure will Sunnyday xD

She sounds such a sweetie, shame they have to leave us really :rolleyes:

They keep coming back though - I have one due to start in September that I last had (with accompanying complaints, moans and occasional ranting) 3 years ago. I am dreading it. The last time I so often wanted to ask if he really thought I'd do whatever the problem was on purpose?!

Oh Sue (or dragon lady as i like to think of you now!) - good luck with the safeguarding issue :(

Most people think we 'just play with children' - few give any thought to supporting their learning and development let alone our responsibilities re safeguarding or supporting the needs of those needing any additional help.......

Push on with the paperwork and then no more for the weekend......

• Like 1

They keep coming back though - I have one due to start in September that I last had (with accompanying complaints, moans and occasional ranting) 3 years ago. I am dreading it. The last time I so often wanted to ask if he really thought I'd do whatever the problem was on purpose?!

One of the 'under cover' questions that our lovely reception class teacher asks me when she comes to visit in July is "which parents do I need to watch out for"".......

I have never been a 'shrinking violet' or 'backward at coming forward' - but I would never, ever, ever thought of disrespecting any teachers when my sons were at school.......

• Like 1

One of the 'under cover' questions that our lovely reception class teacher asks me when she comes to visit in July is "which parents do I need to watch out for"".......

I have never been a 'shrinking violet' or 'backward at coming forward' - but I would never, ever, ever thought of disrespecting any teachers when my sons were at school.......

I shall remember that question Sunnyday! As for the second point - more and more seem to! Shouldn't get respect just for being a teacher though but for being a person

Shouldn't get respect just for being a teacher though but for being a person

Absolutely - perhaps I didn't explain myself very well - I certainly don't consider teachers to be 'a breed apart' - I hope that I treat everyone with respect..........we were, in my mind anyway, discussing the lack of respect some parents have for their children's teachers.......

I was trying to say that it would never have even occurred to me to treat those men and women who were educating and caring for my sons with anything but the greatest respect (and gratitude :1b )

• Like 1

Absolutely - perhaps I didn't explain myself very well - I certainly don't consider teachers to be 'a breed apart' - I hope that I treat everyone with respect..........we were, in my mind anyway, discussing the lack of respect some parents have for their children's teachers.......

I was trying to say that it would never have even occurred to me to treat those men and women who were educating and caring for my sons with anything but the greatest respect (and gratitude :1b )

Sunnyday - you explained yourself just fine! I only said that because the times when I've been muttering about the lack of respect some people show teachers I've felt the need to explain that I don't expect it just because I am a teacher but because I wouldn't expect anyone to be spoken to or treated in that way.

Sunnyday - you explained yourself just fine! I only said that because the times when I've been muttering about the lack of respect some people show teachers I've felt the need to explain that I don't expect it just because I am a teacher but because I wouldn't expect anyone to be spoken to or treated in that way.

Cool :1b

• Like 1

Truly the will to live walked out of the door this morning.

We were thinking about what we could do for our summer outing and as we are blessed with some lovely gardens (that follow a lazy meandering stream) to the beach though we would do something local that would be cost free (some of our outing venues have put their prices up quite a bit recently). As we have been following a provocation all about planting and growing things we thought this would tie in nicely and there is a lovely tree walk with a map no less to look for some of the rarer trees that have been planted.

Sounds OK so far. So - just to check this would all be OK I phoned the council - yes all looking good so far - and then I made my big mistake - I asked if it would be OK to have a couple of "sports day" type events such as an egg and spoon race - there followed a sharp intake of breath and a "would you drop me an email outlining your plans" conversation as you may need an entertainments license for that and risk assessment - :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Using a Sunnyday expression "Oh yes that will be fine" :angry: I have just sent said email - which I truly cannot believe is remotely necessary - I sit here pondering the risks involved in having an egg and spoon race (with plastic eggs and spoons) - obviously if ingested these are highly toxic - there is a high probability that someone somewhere might collapse with the sheer enjoyment of it - there is also the danger that some small children and their parents may derive some health benefits from a walk in the fresh air - if anyone can think of any other risks then feel free

Sometimes you do wonder whether it is worth it !

• Like 2

ah sue do you think this might be the "competitive parent" issue...you know the ones who bring their spikes for their trainers so that they can be first?....i would never have thought about phoning the lea about an outing in the first place :o :blink:

The world and the people in it have all gone truly mad. (Except us of course)

Edit to say I think your trip sounds great and am sure the children will have far more fun than going to some overpriced attraction.

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 2

I nearly screamed today,

1st child arrived clutching a cuddly toy. Mom knows its not show and tell today but 'I couldnt make her leave it at home' :mellow:

2nd child arrived wearing a nappy, he's in pants and dry 'He wouldnt let me take it off him' :mellow:

3rd child wouldnt stop asking the same question, even after very careful, slow and detailed explanation. 'Why cant I do it?' 'Why cant do it?'......

I am drinking beer right this second :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I nearly screamed today,

1st child arrived clutching a cuddly toy. Mom knows its not show and tell today but 'I couldnt make her leave it at home' :mellow:

2nd child arrived wearing a nappy, he's in pants and dry 'He wouldnt let me take it off him' :mellow:

3rd child wouldnt stop asking the same question, even after very careful, slow and detailed explanation. 'Why cant I do it?' 'Why cant do it?'......

I am drinking beer right this second :rolleyes:

How much longer are you helping out at pre-school Rea? You could have a drink problem by the end!!

• Like 2

so scenario in 10 years time

1st child....arrives at school with inappropriate boyfriend...i couldn't make her leave it at home!

2nd child....arrives at school with cigarette and beer bottle in hand.....He wouldn't let me take it off him

3rd child....why cant i do it ? when told he was not old enough to drive Mummy's car to school

....i think you can see where i'm coming from! :blink: :ph34r::o

• Like 8

How much longer are you helping out at pre-school Rea? You could have a drink problem by the end!!

JULY!! I love it really, but I need my usual life back. :ph34r:

• Like 1

We had an external visitor to school today who was observing my lesson. At the end of the session we were meant to be doing joint observations of a range of children. It would have worked so much better if she'd actually listened to the children. A couple of boys were exploring our button drawer and having lovely conversations about what they found. One boy pulled out a button and said "this looks like a cone!" (It did so I'm mentally noting the use of mathematical language). Our visitor misheard him, thought he said coat so asked him where he would find it. His response... A slightly confused "in the button drawer!"

She did the same to a different boy - one of my shyer, more reluctant talkers where adults are concerned. He was quite clearly lining up to make a den - putting pegs along the top of a clothes horse. He has a green, yellow then a green peg so she started asking questions about the pattern he was making. Including which peg she should give him next - he was completely baffled and said "pink? Purple." I happen to know that he struggles with repeating patterns but still.

And the intended focus of our observations? All the communication and language aspects!

Am I being unreasonable?

Well I've had a response from the council - if I want to arrange an outing that includes such extreme sports as an egg and spoon race then I must apply for an events license (£100 plus VAT), undertake a full risk assessment, plough through the councils event safety guidance and ensure that we adhere to the event guidelines documentation.

Quite frankly I just can't be bothered to battle the red tape so will be organising an outing to somewhere slightly less officious!

TGIF - I think I shall be tucking into a well earned alcoholic beverage v. shortly

• Like 2

Amazing!

My week has probably been the worst in a long time so very very happy it's Friday. Quite frankly we had fractious grizzly whiny children most days, it's like the end of Autumn term, not summer.

Let's hope for better next week.

• Like 2

We had an external visitor to school today who was observing my lesson. At the end of the session we were meant to be doing joint observations of a range of children. It would have worked so much better if she'd actually listened to the children. A couple of boys were exploring our button drawer and having lovely conversations about what they found. One boy pulled out a button and said "this looks like a cone!" (It did so I'm mentally noting the use of mathematical language). Our visitor misheard him, thought he said coat so asked him where he would find it. His response... A slightly confused "in the button drawer!"

She did the same to a different boy - one of my shyer, more reluctant talkers where adults are concerned. He was quite clearly lining up to make a den - putting pegs along the top of a clothes horse. He has a green, yellow then a green peg so she started asking questions about the pattern he was making. Including which peg she should give him next - he was completely baffled and said "pink? Purple." I happen to know that he struggles with repeating patterns but still.

And the intended focus of our observations? All the communication and language aspects!

Am I being unreasonable?

No!

• Like 1

Amazing!

My week has probably been the worst in a long time so very very happy it's Friday. Quite frankly we had fractious grizzly whiny children most days, it's like the end of Autumn term, not summer.

Let's hope for better next week.

Poor you. We too have had a pretty awful week generally so I'm joining you in the glad it's the weekend groupM

• Like 1