Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handcream

Froglet

I'm really struggling with my hands at the moment. They are dry, sore and painful, the bits round my nails are tender and sometimes catch and bleed a little and they are driving me up the wall! :( I don't have eczema, it's just a winter thing made worse at the moment by suddenly getting colder.

I slather them in handcream all the time but it seems to disappear very rapidly.

Anyone have a favourite handcream? It's worse during the week as I find I wash my hands a lot more often at work - can't think why! ;)

I like vaseline intensive care and crabtree and evelyn's gardeners one! but my Mum would swear by an exfoliation with olive oil and granulated sugar....rub for about five minutes on your hands...come out lovely and smooth! Making playdough in the mornings also helps ! (but dont do this when you have wounds the salt will send you screaming!)

• Like 2

Poor you - it's miserable isn't it......

Mr S would recommend 'Udder cream' - yep, no kidding - but don't listen to him :ph34r: :rolleyes:

My lovely deputy bought me - 'No 7 Revitalising Hand Saviour' - tis great stuff you rub it in and then rinse........it's the next step I suppose from Fm's mums olive oil and sugar.......

• Like 1

Have you tried a barrier cream touse when hand washing a lot. Cannot think of the one I used when nursing but it did help protect them .

Also used to have a pair of cotton gloves to wear once I had applied my hand cream. They became impregnated with it and I wore them when I could for as long as I could.

Now I use one whith shea butter in it from the body shop.

Knew I had seen something recently, how about gloves in a bottle

http://www.allergybestbuys.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/glovesinabottle-901015m.shtml

Or look for a hairdresser barrier cream.

Edited by Inge
  • Like 1

I love L'Occitane hand cream. It is great for sore hands and when I get 'sandpaper' hands it cures them within a couple of days. It's not cheap at £8 for a 30ml tube but I wouldn't use anything else. It is available at Debenhams or from L'Occitane shops or their website.

Thank you. I shall keep my eyes open for/try all of those. FM I have done the olive oil/sugar trick in the past. Probably time to try it again.

I love getting handcream as a present. The TA who used to work with me and I always had tubes of handcream around somewhere and would nearly always get each other something as a gift at Christmas or at the end of the year!

I have 3 tubes of L'Occitane handcream around the setting for our staff member to use. It is the Rose scented one and I find it too scented, but our staff member loves it and is always asking if she can use my handcream.

Hi

I too used to suffer years ago but no more...Epiderm, it's greasy but you can buy cotton gloves and wear at night if really bad. Quite dear maybe £9 but I would def give it a go as I tried all sorts, was having to wear plasters on my fingers etc

Buy it over the counter at the pharmacy counter.

Good luck with whatever you go for x

• Like 1

I found - by chance I add, that that stuff for dry cracked heels worked on my hands a treat!

Flexinal or something? I just use it once or twice to get me back on good hand-care track :1b

It's so thick and solid it's like putting wax on hands.

Edited by louby loo
  • Like 1

Guest youngrisers

I have brought CCF footwear cream and found it makes my hands beautifully soft even after a day in nursery washing up, and paint pot rinsing. It can be brought from super drug and other chemist not cheap but really lovely to use.

I get very dry hands and ordinary hand cream always feels nice but disappears too quickly.

I've found this hydrous ointment to be really effective. It's much heavier and longer lasting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinewood-Hydrous-Ointment-500G/dp/B0076YZUIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385585874&sr=8-1&keywords=hydrous+ointment

It was prescribed for my daughter's eczema and I fell in love with it.

If you want something even more effective 50/50 cream works really well but it really sticks around. It's like very soft Vaseline

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bells-Emollient-Liquid-Paraffin-Ointment/dp/B00BNX9FZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385586169&sr=8-1&keywords=50+liquid+paraffin

• Like 1

I found - by chance I add, that that stuff for dry cracked heels worked on my hands a treat!

Flexinal or something? I just use it once or twice to get me back on good hand-care track :1b

It's so thick and solid it's like putting wax on hands.

Flexitol. It's brilliant!

• Like 1

Had to go Tesco tonight to get some bits and pieces for our Hanukkah celebration tomorrow and found some cotton gloves which I'm now wearing as I type - just cos I thought I'd see if I could! Will be sleeping in them tonight. I do feel a little though as if I ought to be wearing a top hat and doing magic tricks while wearing them (or possible some kind of Michael Jackson tribute dance!) :blink: :ph34r:xD

• Like 5

I wear cotton gloves in bed and smother my hands in various things. I have so many allergies and have to go fragrance and linalool free (nearly impossible by the way!).

I get doublebase on prescription but I also use aveeno hand cream which is great. It lasts a wash or two but I keep it by the sink so I wash and apply.

• Like 1

almond oil inside washing up gloves when doing that daily chore works a treat for me this time of year- the heat of the washing up water makes the oil sink into your skin that little bit better and almond oil is v. good for nails too :)

Otherwise I'd recommend seeing if your local chemist (or actually there's plenty of sellers with it in stock online- just had a quick squizz) has any conotrane cream (an antiseptic barrier partic good for nappy rash)- when I last worked at pharmacy about 2 years ago they were tricky to get hold of but it's cheap as chips and extremely effective (and with a lovely smell!), worked a treat for me! Hope you find something that works for you!