Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How are you coping with the heat?

Just wondered how everyone is coping with this heat B)

Morning sessions are fine as we freeflow 'til about 11am and it's been lovely to be out. They all have sunhats etc.But in the afternoon it's just far too hot. :( . We have some shady bits but it's impossible to make them stay in it and keeping them inside just makes them stir crazy!!

I would love to know how everyone else is managing! This time last year I just wore waterproofs ;)

• Like 1

Last day for us tomorrow and I honestly can't wait - this is just too hot for me!!

I'm sure it is hotter in our hall than it is outside, but then when we go outside you have the direct sun on you so that's no good either

We've done the same as you outside for the first hour or so and then we have to bring them in otherwise we would have burnt children and staff!

Roll on 1pm tomorrow :1b I shall be doing absolutely nothing on Friday except lying on my bed in a cool bedroom - my children don't finish school until the Friday, best decision I've made all year finishing a day early than them xD

• Like 3

Not in a setting now.. but in previous years in this but we too moved in but it was hotter inside than out...

We used to have a huge space cleared inside and had bowls of water on the floor, or small paddling pool.. we played in the water.paddling etc.. parents were warned they may be wet when they went home... so old clothes.. all well supervised so was safe and fun too..

one year I vividly remember having a group time with children all sat on chairs around a paddling pool with feet in it.. those that did not want feet in the water sat around the edge.. but cannot remember anyone not wanting to join in..

we were lucky in having a hall with a door we could tip the pool out of when done.. but children loved emptying it with jugs anyway.. had to work out how long it would take and how many jugs full etc.. they also helped with recording..

• Like 1

This afternoon we had about a metre and a half wide strip of shade all along the back of the building and we had a gazebo, the children were all told they could only play outside if they were in the shade - and they did! We have a lot of water out at the moment I am in the midst of making sensory ice cubes ready for tomorrow :)

• Like 1

Forecast for us (Suffolk) is nearly 10 degrees cooler tomorrow and I can't wait! Cool for the rest of the week, then baking again next week I think!

We just find shade when we can and stay indoors otherwise. We are lucky in that we have a canopy outside which provides shade until well into the afternoon. The hottest time seems to be after 3.30pm when we are invaded by hot, sweaty school children, bless them!

We have been hunting down every bit of shade that we can find! xD

Have to say - my 'lot' are absolutely brilliant at staying in the shade when told to! :1b

Nothing, but nothing will make me complain about this weather - have been longing for sun and heat for soooooo long! :D

Two days to go for us! :1b

• Like 2

We have hosepipe, buckets, squirters, paddling pools and crazy daisy and have put up a gazebo but even with all that we are chasing the shade in the afternoon so after a v. leisurely lunch children have been being doing indoor relaxation to "plinky plonky" music with children laying on the cold floor with the windows all open but the curtains drawn which is then followed by indoor "quiet"ish activities e.g., construction, puzzles, mark making etc.

Children are being brilliant about it - the morning's water play seems to be wearing them out and the post lunch relaxation seems to be helpful in keeping them "chilled out" B)

I however have been trapped in a v. hot training room doing Ofsted Inspector training :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• Like 3

We go on until next Tuesday B)

Tomorrow we are going to try not putting the bikes etc out ( "I predict a riot"!) and just putting shade based activities including water!!

Several of our younger children would not understand that they can't go out if the doors are open, and shutting them makes it stifling, so we need to find a happy medium!

Personally, I need to resolve the lovely line I have developed where my lanyard with ID and keys have been before my son gets married in 3 weeks!! :huh:

sadly our caretaker has nailed all but 3 of our windows shut as they fall open in wind and set off alarm and he has to come out in evening/night. that's 1 per room which opens. he could of course have put a catch on them so they wouldn't drop open....... so it is unbearable having 33 inside so we have to go out. luckily morning nursery only!! i have taken my fan in to help. our corrugated plastic canopies trap heat and can get very hot underneath them too. so we now do freeflow as early as possible and then go in when too hot outside. we have water and water painting so lots of cool things, but thank goodness we have only got 2 more days. children getting hot and bothered and whingy which is so unfair on them

Well,

Sympathise with you all! I finished last August and am sooo relieved not to have to struggle through all this heat as a professional!! All I want to do is curl up in a cool, dark corner!!

Sue :wacko:

Guest sn0wdr0p

We are lucky to have a very large tree in our garden which provides a lot of shade. I also bought a super large shade sail from ikea and some umbrellas so fortunately we have enough shade for the children in the garden but they are not allowed on the playground which is in direct sunlight most of the day. Paddling pools are out (really fed up of ferrying buckets of water outside so hubby is fitting an outside tap tomorrow).

Out of school holiday club opens next week so need to buy more paddling pools (not easy as every shop has sold out), get out the water slide and we are having water dodgeball fights (with those foam footballs soaked in water), obstacle races where one of the obstacles is to pour a glass of water over their head etc. Water fights - as I have said before the main targets are always the staff and end up soaked.

Really looking forward to next week as it's such a nice change for the club to run on sunny hot days. Heading to the beach with them on Wednesday so I hope the weather holds - a sea breeze really helps cope with the heat.

We have found the children are gravitating towards the shade without being asked. We are lucky we have a huge UV canopy and smaller areas shaded by trees/sail canopies.

Inside is heaven thanks to the wonder of air con :ph34r:

Luckily we finished last week! :D:D:D

Ahem - how did you manage that great feat of escapology a whole week earlier than me? :o :blink: xD

Not soooooo hot today - but we definitely have some endoftermitis going on :ph34r: think that the children are probably/possibly tired due to lack of sleep - it has been unbearably hot at night here.......add to that some parents who insist on talking far too much (in my humble) about 'last days' :blink:

One more session + our end of term picnic and then I can lie quietly in a darkened room for a while :rolleyes:

Most of the time we've been outside all morning - relatively cool and pleasant and then inside after lunch. Not any cooler inside but out of direct scorching sun which is what bothers me. We have very little shade too.

Sunnyday - I'm with you on the end of termitis! They have been so.... :angry: today. I really raised my voice this afternoon which always makes me feel guilty. Although I wasn't 'out of control' it was just the only way I could make myself heard over the constant chat (including backchat and general rudeness). Lots of children at the moment who hear a request, look at me then turn and do the exact opposite!

Have also had 2 awkward phone calls from parents today and a tricky 'confrontation' yesterday. The head fielded both today's though thank goodness - I know I'd have been in tears if I'd had to!

ok leavers party today in the garden.....about 150 expected....temperature 30 degrees no shade! arrrggghhh having a bit of a nightmare. I changed the time to 12.30 start to accommodate school visits now im regretting it!

Its gping to be a hot one especially as im dressed as a spider!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)