Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff member not completing paperwork!

I have had a member of staff speak to me on Monday (middle of session so busy!) saying she is a little bit behind with her keyperson paperwork but would ensure up to date for parents afternoon next week.

Today receive a call from deputy (my day at college so not in), member of staff has broken down and admitted she is really behind!! Deputy has said there are no obs written up pictures everywhere with nothing stuck in!!

Hold my hand up in saying I ask staff every week is everyone's paperwork ok does anyone need any help, but I don't physicaly check (too trusting!!).

So staff have stayed and all taking a child and started working through it all for her, I do pay an hour and twenty minutes a week non contact time but obviously for their own children!!

member of staff has mentioned before that she isn't confident with spelling and handwriting so provided her with electronic copies of all documentation (obs sheets etc) so she could complete them on her laptop.

Would you say this is a discerplinary matter or verbal warning? Obviously she has been paid the non contact to do this.

Kris

Crikey!

Well I'm not sure what I would do........have to say the rest of your staff team are complete and utter stars for sorting this out for her - I think she should definitely pay them the money that she has been receiving for this........but how to go forward?

I think you need to meet on a one-to-one basis with her outside of work hours and find out how this has happened..........then make a decision when you have all the facts to hand.

• Like 1

how frustrating for you all. Sounds like she is quite out of her depth. How qualified is she? How much more support could you practically and seriously offer her throughout the term to help keep on top of her records, could she have less key children?

Sadly some people just aren't literate enough to cope with the paper work this job demands - they can be fantastic with the children, make all kinds of practical suggestions during the planning stage, but cannot cope with words on paper.

You could give her a warning, but would it make much difference to her? Would it help her do her job? It will just be a first step towards her dismissal eventually if nothing changes. Perhaps just the discussion of what her job description truly requires will be enough for her to realise that whilst she may love caring for children, what goes with the job these days requires far more from her than she can give at the present time. She needs some form of literacy training or assessment for dyslexia to improve maybe.

hmm hard one. definately think a 1-1 meeting with her is needed firm but fair approach. explain that she should've come to you before if she was struggling. maybe a firm 'unofficial warning?' how new to the whole process is she?

I have a trainee in my room who is very similar. she is doing her level 3 at the moment. she is brill with the children and is getting her head around the planning but her writing and spelling are not the best, sometimes have to correct her display work. I have given her our younger children in the group so that she can spend time with them and has a couple of years to work with them before they go to school. My biggest fear is letting her loose on the learning journals and development records for the children in her group. Reading this post made me think of her. Definately going to give her electronic forms of our documents.

I also have had problems like this. My member of staff once confessed that she "wasn't very good at capital letters and full stops"!! I reduced the number of key children and with the help of the deputy introduced weekly in-house training on observations.My staff are not paid to work on their learning journeys in their own time (not by my choice by the way) which left me in a difficult situation. I think you need to make a note of all conversations/meetings you have with her. What was she doing when she was being paid to do this work?

I've had this, and I tried all sorts of help extra training, time out of the room to get them upto date even though they got paid 2 hours per week to do them at home and some of my other keyworkers finished folders for her etc I actually re-wrote 1 child's folder before handing it into school because it was so poor.

After 3 years of her falling behind we did give a verbal warning, and this got very nasty saying she wasn't being supported (so not true!) so now I have her folders every month without fail I want to seem them upto date every time, think after the verbal warning she realised I wasn't willing to put up with it any more. I do admit though that this has caused us to now have a very strained relationship but the moment I don't have the folders handed in she doesn't do them.

My advice would be, if this isn't the first time then you must put a monitoring system in place. if it is the first time then perhaps a little extra support would be enough.

It would also be a good idea whatever the outcome, to give it to her in writing - even if you do not go to a verbal warning; that way, she will realise that this situation must be taken seriously and you will have evidence which you may need at some point in the future.

Good luck

I too would put something in writing and monitor her performance. Meeting learning and development needs are a statutory requirement, which means that even in this time of 'less paperwork' observations are important and so are learning journeys if you are to plan for a child's next steps. There has to be some sort of evidence to support the judgements made about children's development. If Ofsted were to track one of her key children.......?

I dont think this is something you should come at from the angle of her being lapse, she told you she was behind, she was obviously worried enough to cry about it and you know she struggles with reading and writing.

I'd be more inclined to blame myself for not noticing she was having a problem, but only after a meeting to see where she'd put the hours she'd been paid for ;)

We sometimes put things off when we know we cant do them.

Hope you find a solution and well done to the rest of the staff, what a team :D

• Like 2

well done to the rest of the team for helping her out... i would suggest to her that the payment she has had for doing the work should be passed on to them, but if they are anything like mine were would not want or expect it.. so maybe a small gift for each if not the cash..

how to move forward..

now you know the full level of her difficulty would suggest a meeting and chat.. ( I would feel it was partly my issue as I had not noticed soon enough)

weekly checking all books.. or fortnightly and an occasional spot check between..

and we had a buddy system for just this reason, two would work together and support each other , we had staff with dyslexia and it really helped them to know that the support was there and they had a co worker to help them , in fact they had several as the buddy system worked around children and staff all part time so she would have help in several forms..worked for her,by adding support to guide and help without taking over .

Edited by Inge
  • Like 1

Well we have had a meeting and targets have been put in place plus a weekly meetin between myself and the member of staff. I've realised from this that I am too trusting and should be checking up on staff's paperwork more frequently!! We live & learn!!

The meeting was quite positive and everything recorded and an action plan written up and put in place, so onwards and upwards and we'll see what happens!

Kris

• Like 2

Similar situation (but not to that degree, more just not getting it than not doing it) with a member of staff and paperwork, but thinks by admitting she's useless at it makes it alright...like you have realised that I should monitor learning journeys more (so you're not alone), the revised eyfs has given the opportunity to tighten up on this, so staff realise it has to be done rather than its me being picky, so far so good.....a couple of really pos supervision meetings :).....now to type them up :(. Where is that bl**dy to do list !

Edited by mouse63
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Same for us. We really have to stop thinking that we all have same knowledge and experience. Also the same that people always throw back in your face your trusting good nature when they can't cope. I sought HR support this year and it has taken away so many of my sleepless nights. Before I speak to any of my staff , in particular about things I'm not happy with, I pick up the phone and he tells me how to deal with it. I know it is costly advice but after being threatened with tribunal 2 years ago I feel it justified and worth every penny.You can find similar, cheaper advise on the net but I need face to face and directly linked advice when I need it.