Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Graduate Leader

Rea

Our manager said last night she has no interest in continuing to graduate leader and it got me to wondering what we would do.

We decided to save as much money as we can to enable us to make everyone redundant should we be forced to close!

I don't want to seem dense but I never understand exactly what they mean by "graduate leader". I'm a graduate but not in an Ealy Years subject. So do I count as a graduate leader or not?

There is no way that I am going to do a second degree now and there is no way anybody at our setting will even do a first degree so is that the end of all of us?

I am sure someone will come with the definitive answer, but I always understood graduate leader to be a qualified teacher or EYPS ..

as to a setting not having one...I too think it may depend on who is in power at the time.. so many setting could end up closing as they are unable to pay them sufficiently, many reached the level and moved on to schools etc where they can get a pay worth the time taken to gain the qualifications..

i don't think it is a "must" now but our county (Worcestershire) are using the employment of a EYP or graduate as part of our quality rating which determines whether we can continue to receive NEF. As long as we continue to score well in the other criteria we will be safe!

Jo

I thought it was first changed to only be for full daycare settings and then was shelved. wasn't it a Labour thing?

if it is coming in then we will be closing as none of us will be doing a degree now.

If they want us to employ such qualified staff they need to give us the funds to enable us to do so OR allow us to charge fees

to ALL and enable us to do so.

• Like 3

I actually think that they actually want to close 'sessional/pre-school/church hall' type settings :(

Let's face it - we don't really add much society with regards to putting people into the workforce as such. At the end of the day all government's (which ever is in lead) want more people working and paying taxes, and our hours, and 38 week openings doesn't really fit in well with this.

I can fore-see a loss of sessions settings - being replaced with something very similar but maybe only for 2 hours or so a day............ back to being staffed by unqualified but 'caring' people so no NEF funding, but only costing a few pounds a session- as children just go to be sociable etc............... sounds a bit familiar? - yes what we used to have before everyone had to be qualified etc!

Funding will go to full-day settings.... to enable parent to work full time and in return pay more tax. :mellow:

• Like 3

I actually think that they actually want to close 'sessional/pre-school/church hall' type settings :(

Let's face it - we don't really add much society with regards to putting people into the workforce as such. At the end of the day all government's (which ever is in lead) want more people working and paying taxes, and our hours, and 38 week openings doesn't really fit in well with this.

I can fore-see a loss of sessions settings - being replaced with something very similar but maybe only for 2 hours or so a day............ back to being staffed by unqualified but 'caring' people so no NEF funding, but only costing a few pounds a session- as children just go to be sociable etc............... sounds a bit familiar? - yes what we used to have before everyone had to be qualified etc!

Funding will go to full-day settings.... to enable parent to work full time and in return pay more tax. :mellow:

Wow!

louby loo - I have also held that view for years.........thought it was just me :ph34r:

• Like 2

Me too. have though it for years. Every change that comes along makes it more and more difficult for small settings usually working from church halls, to meet the requirements. We always manage, because we love what we do, but a day will come when we cant pull any more rabbits out of the bag :(

• Like 2

Thank you for that, I'v had the micky taken a couple of times today and while I dont mind in the slightest (I consider myself too old to change or try to do things to impress) I do sometimes wish I didnt do things that warranted it. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Thank you for that, I'v had the micky taken a couple of times today and while I dont mind in the slightest (I consider myself too old to change or try to do things to impress) I do sometimes wish I didnt do things that warranted it. :ph34r:

xD Well I held up a screw this morning and asked a three year old what it was called..........yes, so what - I hear you say........truth was I actually couldn't remember what it was called :ph34r:

• Like 1

We are a sessional pre-school in a village hall and according to our lea we need to have an eyp in place by 2015 because we offer sessions that are over 4 hours....... "luckily" I have been fully funded in gaining my foundation degree and I am currently doing my BA Hons alongside EYPS and that is also fully funded, if the funding hadn't been available then we would also have to close - or reduce our opening times so we don't go over 4 hours :rolleyes: :blink:

We are a sessional pre-school in a village hall and according to our lea we need to have an eyp in place by 2015 because we offer sessions that are over 4 hours....... "luckily" I have been fully funded in gaining my foundation degree and I am currently doing my BA Hons alongside EYPS and that is also fully funded, if the funding hadn't been available then we would also have to close - or reduce our opening times so we don't go over 4 hours :rolleyes: :blink:

Those were the "old" rules, but I thought the sessional, but over 4 hours bit had been put on back burner. I wonder if all of this is on hold until a final decision is taken on the nutbrown recommendations?

Edited by eyfs1966

Children's Centres were supposed to have an EYP by this year but I have been told by our local children's centre manager that they have heard nothing more about it! We have an EYP and receive a higher rate of funding which we pass on to her BUT it is still not nearly enough to keep her. She will probably move on in the end to a school or children's centre... That is the problem isn't it? Pre-schools and small private settings will never be able to pay a graduate leader the expected wage. (and tbh I don't really see that she offers anything different than our highly experienced but less qualified staff...)

Me too. have though it for years. Every change that comes along makes it more and more difficult for small settings usually working from church halls, to meet the requirements. We always manage, because we love what we do, but a day will come when we cant pull any more rabbits out of the bag :(

I do hope you have a risk assessment and a policy for keeping rabbits in hats and / or bags ;)

• Like 2

Calicojo - I am in Worcestershire and didn't know about the EYP effecting our WER - fortunately I qualified this year but feel it is so unfair that other counties appear to get extra funding for having an EYP and we don't. As often said on this forum the majority of people don't do it for the money but it would be nice to have

some recognition of hard work put into gaining the qualification.

Couldnt diagree more, setting like these and I am one play a vital role in the community, we now have more children than places in my area. I have a waiting list that is over full for the next 2 years What we provide meets the needs of our parents. I employ 7 staff 3 of whome contribute to the tax system. Local authorities have a duty to provide pre-school places and they could not do this without sessional groups. As long as long as there is demand for a service we will stay

Couldnt diagree more, setting like these and I am one play a vital role in the community, we now have more children than places in my area. I have a waiting list that is over full for the next 2 years What we provide meets the needs of our parents. I employ 7 staff 3 of whome contribute to the tax system. Local authorities have a duty to provide pre-school places and they could not do this without sessional groups. As long as long as there is demand for a service we will stay

No I totally agree on that front - we employ 10 staff, full waiting list etc... it's just I feel the government (any) just want more of our parents working and as a session, 38 week setting we are not enabling this.

Even our staff are not high tax payers (for some strange reason- when you consider the amount of work we do.... ohpps - silly me- that 'cos were mug enough to do loads unpaid :D ::1a ) And thinking about it many of our staff - those that do fewer hours possibly get more back with regards to benefits (full state pensions ect) than they actually paying tax wise.

You can already see the move to using the 15 hours over shorter days and/or spread over 52 weeks.

I'm not saying we're not good (personally I think sessional pre-schools are the best! :D )........... just they'd prefer us to go back to the 'old days' with us as social groups with lots of volunteers + low pay :( While the funding goes to full daycare.

Guest sn0wdr0p

Does anyone have any idea when the government response to the Nutbrown review is due. I held off doing my EYP this September until I know which way the wind blows.