Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Semi Skimmed Or Full Fat

lashes2508

Morning All,

which do you give to the children in your setting ?? It is reccommended that children under 5 should have full fat (blue top) unless they have a good diet they can have semi - some settings use full -so just asking who uses what and why and where do you base your decision on ? also what variety of food /snack do you offer ?? mostly fruit and veg, only fruit and veg or a variety to cover all food areas??

All response greatly appreciated

lashes :o

We use the 'Cool Milk' scheme - they deliver 'semi-skimmed' xD

Thanks Sunnyday , we don't use Cool Milk Scheme but having checked out their website looks like a good idea and could make life easier , would you recommend the service?? also do you get a choice of which milk is delivered?? and thanks for replying as so many view but don't comment :o

We give our children the option of semi skimmed milk or water. they also have the choice of 2 or 3 fruits (apples, oranges, satsumas, melon, grapes, strwberries, bananas, raisins, etc). Parents are asked to donate fruit as it had got so expensive for me to supply. they are very good at leaving fruit in the bowl but it is usually the same few that donate.

We also have bread, savoury cracker, breadsticks, cheese, toast, etc - the choice daily is 2 or 3 fruits and a carbo plus semi skimmed milk or water.

Sue J

Recently my employer has provided full fat for babies and toddlers, but semi-skimmed for pre-school. She says that guidance has now changed, but I can't find anything that says other than under 5s should have full fat.

Can anyone point me in the direction of this change, please?

Thanks Sunnyday , we don't use Cool Milk Scheme but having checked out their website looks like a good idea and could make life easier , would you recommend the service?? also do you get a choice of which milk is delivered?? and thanks for replying as so many view but don't comment :o

Yes I can recommend xD and no we don't get a choice of milk - just semi-skimmed.......

Recently my employer has provided full fat for babies and toddlers, but semi-skimmed for pre-school. She says that guidance has now changed, but I can't find anything that says other than under 5s should have full fat.

Can anyone point me in the direction of this change, please?

Hi Sue

If you look at the NHS chioices, Birth to 5 website there is information on when you can introduce different types of milk.

Regards

mrsW

We use the Cool Milk scheme too, and I would recommend it - very easy. We have semi-skimmed milk from them. We only offer fruit/veg at snack time now, fresh fruit/veg and raisins quite often. We were also offering cheese and something carby too (toast, crackers, breadsticks etc.) but decided that as the children only come in at 9am and either go home or have lunch with us at 12 o'clock, they really didn't need all that much to eat in 3 hours!

We use the CoolMilk scheme which effortless on our part once it is set up. So semi-skimmed milk or water to drink plus a choice of chunks of fruit from the fruit bowl, a carbohydrate such as toast, brioche, malted loaf, breadsticks, crackers and often a piece of cheese - child-sized portions nothing too much.

we use full fat milk for the children purchased from the local supermarket (as we are in a rented hall and unable to get deliveries). The alternative we offer is water should children not wish to drink milk. For snack we offer a variety of foods, fruit, vegetables, yoghurt, toast, sandwiches, cheese & crackers, biscuits and cakes are also offered when it is a special occassion such as a birthday etc.

We use cool milk and would definately recommend them, we too are in rented premises but have no problems receiving deliveries.

Cool milk provide us with semi-skimmed milk however, we had a visit from our development worker last term saying that it is still recommended that under 5's have full fat milk!

I havent tried to call cool milk yet but it is on my to do list to see if they could provide it.

Debster

We provide semi skimmed milk or water and a choice of fruit, dried fruit and a carb such as rice cake. We made the choice of changing to all organic snacks and drink after reading research about the benefits of Omega 3 for young children, the extra cost of organic food is covered in our additional services charge. Although we are in a unit on a trading estate we get Sainsbruys to deliver (the only supermarket who would).

A big thankyou to all your replies - some interesting points , my previous setting only offered full fat milk and water except for one child who could only have semi, guidelines state that skimmed milk has less fat for energy and vitamin a so therefore semi skimmed can be given after 2 years providing the child has a healthy nutritious diet -( how do we know for sure ?) but most recommendations state up to 5 should have full fat ( think there was a scare factor regarding arteries and damage in early life) none of our children are showing obesity issues so therefore i am going to full fat ( cool milk will deliver it ) as new setting gives semi skimmed.

we always offer water as well but snacks have been rather large and not enough fruit and veg in my opinion and especially as we have lunch club 2 days it really is not necessary to have so much .

Thanks everyone ,happy snacking !

we use cool milk. Milk is still delivered from local dairy and you can have what you need. Big benefit we do not sort out any of the finance and claiming. The only downside you need to give a weeks notice if you want to change your order and any problems you speak to cool milk not dairy.

Buttercup

Guest cathy m

I use Scott's milk for free and have choice of full fat, semi skimmed and organic all available in different sizes. They deliver to me twice a week

Cathy

This is what cool milk say in their FAQ!!

Q

Why do you supply semi-skimmed rather than whole milk?

A

We provide semi-skimmed milk in line with guidance issued by the Food Standards Agency and the School Food Trust. You can request whole milk by emailing us at amend@coolmilk.com. The FSA says that children should switch from whole to semi-skimmed milk at the age of two, and the School Food Trust also recommends that primary school children should receive semi-skimmed rather than whole milk.

We provide semi skimmed milk or water and a choice of fruit, dried fruit and a carb such as rice cake. We made the choice of changing to all organic snacks and drink after reading research about the benefits of Omega 3 for young children, the extra cost of organic food is covered in our additional services charge. Although we are in a unit on a trading estate we get Sainsbruys to deliver (the only supermarket who would).

our local authority do not allow us to make additional charges even for snacks....we did ask for donations of food/cash etc but this only resulted in apples every day and some people paying and others ignoring so we no longer ask.

our local authority do not allow us to make additional charges even for snacks....we did ask for donations of food/cash etc but this only resulted in apples every day and some people paying and others ignoring so we no longer ask.

Sorry enuffsenuf, I keep forgetting that every authority seems to work under different rules

Spoke to guy at Scotts .very helpful and the fridge is an incentive as Cool milk cant provide it as number to low but Scotts said they would , which is great as we currently share an old fridge which we have to claer every friday , thanks again for all you suggestions , links etc

We have full fat milk via our local dairy and use the cool milk administration. Not had any problems for three years now. I think most households in affluent Surrey have converted to lower fat alternatives for many dairy products, and I am concerned that children are not getting the fat soluble vitamins required. Our children have freeflow access to outdoor physical play and i think that balances the calories in the milk!

But then I am a dairy farmers daughter...

(we do offer water too...)

Hi

I went on a healthy early years course at the end of last year. They introduced me to the infant and toddler forum website.

The healthy eating for toddlers recommends full fat until age 2 and then semi skimmed.

Cool milk deliver our milk and they are useless. I can't believe delivering milk can be so hard. Still we can't all be happy customers.

• 1 month later...
we also use the cool milk scheme which is very easy. As our children are 2 and over they send us semi-skimmed which is apparently from government guidelines.

my nursery does the same, we offer full fat molk for 1-2 years but after 2 it is semi skimmed milk.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)