Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Names

Hello Kitty

Just having a bit of s discussion on a parenting forum about names and it got me wondering what are popular names in various parts.

We have hardly any names that we don't have at least 2 of if that makes sense - although spellings vary. Most ppopular right now for us are:

Caitlyn/Caitlin

Harry

Peter (a surprise that one!)

Alfie

Lily-May in several different ways

Chloe

Megan

the only one we have that you have is Caitlin. We have 3 Jasmines this year and 2 Jacks. Other unusual ones are Sydnie (girl) and India, Lloyd, Corey and Genevieve (I love it!) other than that it's the usual Joseph, Amelia, Lily, William, Isabella, Alex etc

Next year I will be getting a Lettice (Girl) of all the beautiful names to choose from why would you call your daughter a name that is also a salad vegetable!

Deb

Next year I will be getting a Lettice (Girl) of all the beautiful names to choose from why would you call your daughter a name that is also a salad vegetable!

Deb

gave up being shocked by names when my brother named his daughter(my niece) Tsunami! Thank goodness she is a she and not a he otherwise he would have been Aardvark. His attitude? Well there will only ever be one of them in any group of people.

We have recently had lots of hypenated double barrel names and I hate them! Jypsy-Leigh x 2!!! Tilly-Mae, Lexi-Jo, Conan (yes he is named after the Barbarian! and I won't tell you what his 4 siblings are called :o ) Jensen x 2 and Franky ( I always want to burst into song-"Franky do you remember me?" from the 70's)

We had a Huxley last year; really had to try hard not to say "what ya going do today oink oink"

Also 2 x Imogen's, Sophie's and Jack's and Amelia's, a Ruby, a Milly-Mae and a Travis

We have 3 Joes and a Joseph - whose Mum often calls him Joe, 2 Connors and a Conor, and we would have had 2 Tianas but one moved away

Last year 3 Harvey's and a Harley, 2 Evies and an Aoife

Last year we had a child who started off as Fergus but his parents decided he didn't suit this name so changed it to Asterix!!! and boy, did this suit him, definetly one of a kind

We have 4 Alex's, one of them is a girl, 3 lilly's spelt different ways, 3 x Chloe, 2x Archie, 2 x Amy, 3 x Joshua, 3 x Max, 2 x Charlie ;

and the more unusal names we have are

Tegan, Elana, Ava, Esme, Tiana, Skye (and a Sky due to start next year) Athena, Fearne, Emilia, Coby, Corey and Nate.

I once taught a Rocky!

I am trying to think of what names are in year 1, reception class and the special needs class I work in. Yes you read that right, I work in 3 classes during the same week! xD

In year 1 there's a Lewis x2, then a few of double barrel first names, Tilly-Mae, and 2 with double barrel everything Molly-May and a Bobby-Tommy! :o Oh and a Corben, how can I forget that name! :(

In reception there's a mix of old fashioned and modern names like Deisal, Corey, Elish, Ester.

We had a number of children with the same name last term with the effect that the children and sometimes we still refer to 'Little Evie' and 'George 'surname'' even though there is only one of each.

We have a Wilfred which reminds me of my Grandad.

Rachel

Our more unusual ones at school generally we have a Wal (short for Walter but known as Wal), Johnluke (like that, not double barrelled) who is named after the Star Trek character which makes me mad as I'm sure he was a Jean-Luc :D We have lots of the d-b names like Lilly-Mai, Milly-Jo, Molly-Jean, Jamie-Lou. I hated it when I was pregnant as I wanted May as a middle name after my nan but didn't want it to sound like one of those names!

We also have Jayden, Jaden, Hayden (boy) Haydn (girl), Gracie, Finley ( I quite like that), Casey, Lacey, Mason and Manson and his sister Lemmy (and yes they are named after Marilyn Manson and Lemmy from Motorhead)

Blimey so it is quite varied then isn't it - ooh another popular one here is Aidan...

Jacks and Rileys. We have 6 Jacks in the infants at the moment and it's funny how some of them are just 'Jack' whereas others are 'Jack Surname' as if the whole thing is their first name and one is 'Little Jack'.

Personally I seem to know lots of Calums being born at the moment. I often seem to get more repetition in boys names than girls although that could just be because we seem to have hardly any girls at the moment.

The other thing I notice is that there are lots and lots of names beginning with 'J'

I was also thinking that this year would be a good year for me to make a personalised alphabet as I have ones beginning with K, X and Z although the X doesn't sound like an X!

When my eldest was at primary they had 2 charlies, 2 hollys , 3 lucys and 2 sophies and even now in year 8 they are still referred to in their whole name format they have never been charlie or lucy it has always been charlie ......... lucy ........... , surnames were just as bad there was 10 chidren sharing 4 surnames and only one pair related

we had 4 versions of Ben/benjamin last year

for about 4 years there was only 3 lukes in the school and they were all LK so labelling was not easy

we have had 3 Finleys all with different spelling

the most confusing for us was last year when due to us being an FSU we had a brother and sister who had homenames for each other that were also names of children we had in the unit, took a bit of getting used too.

we have an alfie and 2 lilys this year both spelt differently, summer, sky, edward and hannah quite a mix really

Just remembered another unusual name, we had a girl called Epernay who was named after the town in the champagne region of France where her parents fell in love, really liked that one, just an old romantic I guess

we used to have a lot of Irish names... and parents thought they were being very original in using them until they came to us and found there were other children with the same name.. was fine except for spelling them all caused many of us an issue...

I always had problems with many of them, Saoirse , Aoife, Gráinne, Niamh ,Róisín , always the girls, and parents wanted the accents used even more confusion. We often had at least one or two of them in the setting.

The most confusing was Thomas, when we had 5 of them, took them a long time to work out which one we wanted...

we did not really like the 'tag' of adding a surname as many have commented the children begin to think it is their given name , once had one child who went to school to find another child of the same name in her class and they used the initial of the surname to identify her from the other child who they did not add a 'tag' to... That child spent years arguing with everyone that her name was not Nicole, but Nicolby as that is what her teachers called her...

Edited by Inge

Tiana I think is an Aussie soap character born a few years back so it explains why there's a rush of them all at the same time!

Oh - we had a Teddie-Rose a few years back and we have a Meya Moore (say it quickly - sigh) and a Mia started today

Had a Stanley last year and it really suited him!

We had a Stanley a couple of years ago - must say at the time I wasn't keen on the name, however, our little Stanley was the most gorgeous little boy, and I will remember him for a long while to come. We also at about the same time had a Fred Turner, always makes me smile to this day, I expected a little old man with cloth cap and whippet to come through the door on his first day, and yet again the most delightful of little boys.