Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Church Hall Loos!

Hi there

I don't know if anyone else is in the same situation as we are but thought I would put this one out there -

I have a pack away setting in a church hall with three loos only - we are a sessional setting and if staff need the loo during the session we use one of the three available loos (making sure its clean first!)

HOWEVER we are registered for 30 children per session on the basis that we have three loos (eg 10 children per loo) which has always been ok with ofsted.

I note from the eyfs review up for consulation that from 2012 (assuming it will get the green light) that there must be a separate loo for staff therefore a dilemma - I am currently in discussion with the parish priest about loo conversion to create an extra loo but if he says no then I will have to consider reducing my registered number to 20 with all that that implies including re-structuring staffing and even considering whether it is worth continuing.

Has anyone else clocked this one and what are you considering doing?

We were registered for 30 children for years and years but it suddenly changed to 26 about 8 years ago with no explanation except 'thats the norm'.

Our church hall has 4 loos, one in the mens, 2 in the ladies and one for a disability. The disabled loo is used by the children because the others are down the corridor, although they are used if theres a queue.

Ofsted were always ok with the arrangement but now I'm wondering if someone might come and throw a spanner in the works!

Do you ever get the feeling small playgroups working out of church halls are being squeezed out?

Yes I do get that feeling Rea - this is something I am going to respond to in the consultation document - if it is something that is going to come in then perhaps we should push for a phased implementation as it's not something we will be able to get done overnight!

Hi are they male and female toilets or communal ones.

We are in a rented hall with 30 children and we have three in the ladies, and one in the mens and a urinal.

All the children boy and girls use the ladies ones only.

We have a new disabled toilet which is used by all staff, visitors and parents, this is located at the other end of the hall.

When this loo was out of use the female staff used the gents.

There is always something to do, consider, or change thats early years for you.

Please let me know how you get on. :o

yes if they change it it will be for all settings..

the only reason we could change our hours was because the EYFS removed the must have a staff toilet to a recommendation - it was part of the daycare standards before that and was removed when it was changed... so the setting I worked in could then change to all daycare which we had been trying to do for ages unsuccessfully . Even though we had children all day be it different groups am and pm, none all day.. but staff stayed all day.. so not much of a change for all day..

We were lucky in that before I left I arranged for us to have access to a third toilet in the hall next door, with key and security code for staff use.. but that did mean we always had to have an extra staff member for ratios.. became quite complicated..

Time to respond to the consultation is running out. If your group is unable to meet this requirement because your landlord cannot provide the necessary facilities, then you have to make this very clear in your response. I wonder if we should also be asking Ofsted and Local Authorities what advice they can give in advance of the new EYFS becoming statutory? I know there is little they can say at this stage, but perhaps we need to make it clear that this could be a major problem for some providers.

Do you ever get the feeling small playgroups working out of church halls are being squeezed out?

Yep - have thought this for quite a long time now :o

Thankfully we have more loos than you could 'poke a stick at' (should you want to)........what a dilemma for those groups that don't though.......

As Maz pointed out - time to respond is running out.......

Yes I do get that feeling Rea - this is something I am going to respond to in the consultation document - if it is something that is going to come in then perhaps we should push for a phased implementation as it's not something we will be able to get done overnight!

Even a phased implementation wouldn't help most settings though. I cant see our church hall building an extra loo or two just for us, main rent payer or not.

It always seems that the powers that be are messing with the bits and bobs more than those bits and bobs warrant!

Well that would chop me down to 10 children. We have 2 loos and registered for 20

I'm afraid it will have to be a pottie or a bucket outside for you Cait, or maybe a portaloo somewhere!

We have 2 loos in the hall, but downstairs in the main body of the building there are another 8 loos, and whilst these could not be taken into consideration with our registration, (2 loos, 20 children), staff can use them, however, as Inge pointed out, it always messes with those darned ratios.

We have 3 loos in female toilet, used by the children

we have 1 male toilet and urinals!! which we use for changing the children

and we have a disabled toilet which is designated for staff use

You should have a disabled toilet as part of the disabilites act as you are in a public hall.

we are registered for 26 children

Edited by Suer

You should have a disabled toilet as part of the disabilites act as you are in a public hall.

I think it depends on when the building was built. I could be wrong, but seem to remember from a training I did that it is only at the point when extensions or other building works are done that facilities to improve access for wheelchair users have to be put in place. So if the building was built in the year dot, and no extension work has been carried out, it is still considered OK and within the terms of the legislation.

Hi Bridger

In answer to your query the loos are designated for adult use as one x ladies, one x gents with 2 urinals and one "sit on" and one x disabled loo (no gender discrimination).

There are no other loos on the premises so options are somewhat limited to either reducing numbers or getting the church pcc to see that as their main income source they need to consider our needs for an extra loo perhaps by converting the gents e.g., getting rid of the grotty urinals and putting a second loo in their and making all the loos unisex.

This is definately something that will be going into my EYFS consultation response - might also ask for £s to ease the transition to to four loo hall - fat chance and no chance me thinks!

The review doesn't state what the staff loo should provide though so maybe Panders idea of an outside potty is not far off the mark - perhaps in this age of recycling everything I should think creatively and consider a "compostable loo" - :o

The review doesn't state what the staff loo should provide though so maybe Panders idea of an outside potty is not far off the mark - perhaps in this age of recycling everything I should think creatively and consider a "compostable loo" - :o

funny you should say this.. before EYFS and only reason we could not be full daycare was lack of a loo.. parents offered to put a camping toiulet tent and 'potty' in the garden for us! and they were serious about it too!!

it was at that point I chased the church for access to the other hall toilets... took me ages to get them to agree, but then EYFS came in so it was not needed.

Maz is right if the hall is older there was no need to put in a disabled facilities unless there was work being done at some time to extend or change the building.. we didn't have one...and it was ok...

We have 2 loos in ladies 1 in gents (3urinals) and a disabled. Registered for 30 children.

We do not alocate a loo just for staff as the children can't always hang on, we use that good old fashioned thing 'Common Sense' and staff will use mens loos (they are rarely used by the public and are a lot cleaner!)

The loo subject just made me think of the lovely surprise I got when I went to the pre-school this weekend, they have put in beautiful taps with handles not knobs my children are going to love them!!! the loos have also been painted (haven't been done in about 10 years) looks nice and fresh and clean But they haven't replaced the mirror!!!! staff will complain :o

Sue

Edited by Bigsue

I wonder if we should also be asking Ofsted and Local Authorities what advice they can give in advance of the new EYFS becoming statutory?

We only know what you know - all I could say to anyone asking me is respond to the consultation!!

cx

We are a portacabin two rooms with a hallway and 4 toilets one is disabled. As said before registered for 40. There is no way there is room for another toilet. I do hope they take that into consideration.

Buttercup

Just playing devils advocate here. I went on a training day, some time ago now and we were told you could no longer refer to the 'disabled toilet' as such and it had to be called the 'accessible toilet'.

I went into the Pre-school yesterday (wasn't allowed access during the holiday - as work was going on). An accessible (disabled) loo has been put in. It's very nice - nicely decorated and same as your setting toilet, Sue, hasn't been touched for years - non touch taps (going to be a wonderful game for the children) also NO MIRROR and no space for coat hooks anywhere !!!! Where are coats and bags going to go??? There were 20 hooks in the area before they did the work.

I am registered for 26 children and there are two loos and staff have to use them as well. We'll see what the outcome is.

Sue J