Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

One For Those Of Us Of A Certain Age...

Cait

he says can you remember Supercar and Mike Mercury, the pilot?

Please tell him 'certainly not'! :o

Ah - but 'Sing something Simple' .......now we're talking!

Another radio programme too - I think it was called 'The Clitheroe Kid'........hmmm....just off to google xD

oh yes the Clitheroe Kid - I can remember sitting in the car, listening to that on the radio whilst my parents went to visit my Nana in hospital - in the days when children weren't allowed on the wards!

Sing Something Simple - Friday nights I think?

Listened to the Clitheroe Kid on I player BBC7 the other week..

also Navy Lark...

Used to listen to those while helping mum cook Sunday roast.....

What about Yogi Bear and Boo Boo...

Inge

Edited by Inge

He certainly was Boo Boo! Any picnic hampers, campers?

I helped mum with the Sunday lunch listening to the Clitheroe Kid, now this one's off the wall a little - what about Wakey Wakey! Billy Cotton's Band Show - even as a young child I would wait for Russ Conway to come on the show playing the piano and wink at me - just me mind you - he never winked at anyone else! OMG - fancy getting crushes at such a tender age.

Edited by Panders

Hubbys on the phone describing where they're fishing the weekend, he said its by the lightening tree, I got all excited, do you rememebr the programme White horses with the theme song about the lightening tree? I loved it.

the ringing singing tree....

and flipper

Thornbirds .. nope not one I remember.. I was at work by then and TV far from a priority.. in fact I didn't have one! I left home at 18 and had no TV.. didn't have one for a few years...

Inge

Hubbys on the phone describing where they're fishing the weekend, he said its by the lightening tree, I got all excited, do you rememebr the programme White horses with the theme song about the lightening tree? I loved it.

Weren't they two different programmes? The Lightning Tree was about a farm with horses on it, but the tree had been killed by a bolt of lightning but the girl kept watering it in the hope that it would come alive again.

White Horses was on the BBC, can only remember the opening titles with lots of white horses galloping down the beach

the ringing singing tree....

and flipper

Thornbirds .. nope not one I remember.. I was at work by then and TV far from a priority.. in fact I didn't have one! I left home at 18 and had no TV.. didn't have one for a few years...

Inge

Thornbirds was an adult programme - about an ambitious priest who was in love with a young girl in Australia - he goes through lots of torment yatayata eventually he takes a sabatical and they get together some years on in the story, but goes back to the priesthood - think it was racy shall we say for the time it was made and quite a slow developing story compared to the dramas of today.

Thornbirds was an adult programme - about an ambitious priest who was in love with a young girl in Australia - he goes through lots of torment yatayata eventually he takes a sabatical and they get together some years on in the story, but goes back to the priesthood - think it was racy shall we say for the time it was made and quite a slow developing story compared to the dramas of today.

A bit slow to develop maybe but Richard Chamberlain made it all the wait worthwhile. I also loved the music.

which ha I a tv I would have probably been watching... funny how there are holes in TV education.. didn't have one for about 4 years maybe 5 ... and then again a few years later didn't have one for about a year but we were living in Germany so TV was limited anyway with BFBS Broadcasting.. only had about 5 hours a day when it was on at the time..

Inge

Nobody's mentioned the test card yet or the national anthem at switch off time (if you were allowed to stay up that late) !!!!!

and what about children's tv that finished at 6pm after which the grown ups took control to WATCH THE NEWS

Then there's morcombe and wise and christmas tv specials

When there were no programmes on we also had a picture of a windmill and a couple of carthorses - a very early screen saver perhaps :o

which ha I a tv I would have probably been watching... funny how there are holes in TV education.. didn't have one for about 4 years maybe 5 ... and then again a few years later didn't have one for about a year but we were living in Germany so TV was limited anyway with BFBS Broadcasting.. only had about 5 hours a day when it was on at the time..

Inge

We used to listen to Two Way Family Favourites on the radio as a child - this was broadcast to BF in Germany

Nobody's mentioned the test card yet or the national anthem at switch off time (if you were allowed to stay up that late) !!!!!

and what about children's tv that finished at 6pm after which the grown ups took control to WATCH THE NEWS

Then there's morcombe and wise and christmas tv specials

When there were no programmes on we also had a picture of a windmill and a couple of carthorses - a very early screen saver perhaps :o

What about during the 3 day week in the 70's when t.v. finished at 10p.m.

Remember the interludes. One was a potter at his wheel making a pot and the other was a one minute train ride from London to Brighton (?) ..well I think it was one minute.

As for Richard Chamberlain does anyone remember Dr. Kildare. I had a Dr. Kildare blouse which I felt very wonderful in. It was white with sideways neck buttons.

As for Richard Chamberlain does anyone remember Dr. Kildare. I had a Dr. Kildare blouse which I felt very wonderful in. It was white with sideways neck buttons.

That what I was going to say..........I still have a very old black and white postcard of him as Dr Kildare somewhere.......

What about during the 3 day week in the 70's when t.v. finished at 10p.m.

Now 3 day week conjures up very different memories...

Power strikes... and lack of candles... mum had an oil lamp which was so useful..

and I vividly remember going out to a local 'disco' and putting my make up on while on the bus! No light at home so it was the only way...

Oh and Dad complaining about the petrol prices when they went to 70p a Gallon!

Inge