Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Vacuum Cleaners

Cait

Ok, I have a Dyson upright with HEPA filter and all singing all dancing and it's a load of rubbish. It take 6 or 7 passes to pick up a strand of cotton on the carpet and then I pick it up myself. It wont pick up a cornflake on the lino and hairs on the carpet in the bedroom are....... well let's just say it's rubbish.

So. It was a much vaunted excellent machine that I shelled out quite a bit for, 5 years ago or so, and the time has come to kick it out. It's a lemon, it always has been a lemon and always will be and I HATE it.

I wonder if any of you lovely people can advise me on what you have and give it marks out of ten. I know that's not always the best way as my sister has the same machine as me and loves it! But it will give me some idea of what's out there. If anyone subscribes to WHICH and has their inside info (I really don't want to have to subscribe, just for this and be nagged for evermore) it could be useful.

Many thanks in advance, team!!!!

Well, I recently was bought a Russell Hobbs

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-7692.aspx

A little bit pricey but Mr ppp wanted something decent....for me..... how very nice of him!

The reviews on that link are quite good and I'd give it a 8.5/10

Only downside is there is nowhere to put all the tools.

But all in all a good little machine that is lightweight and mega powerful - picks up pet and human hair very well!

It has tools for all different floors.

ppp

(I've never got on with Dysons)

Edited by Guest

Well, your story and mine are identical! It wasn't until I started telling people how useless my Dyson was, that I found all sorts of agreement! It's a classic case I think of brilliant advertising....until you get one, you believe they're the best.

Last month we bought a hideously expensive Miele....and it is truly fantastic. Dog hairs etc etc come up with one sweep, and the carpets look much fluffier. Apart from the cost, the only downside is that it's heavy and you wouldn't want to be lugging it up and downstairs too many times. We don't have that problem as we have wooden floors downstairs and we have a little Henry hoover for those, which we keep downstairs.

If only I had thought to start this thread when I was looking to replace the Dyson :o

I love my Dyson... but I know it is a choice thing..

Which best buys....

Cylinders

Bosch BSG8PRO1GB Home Professional

Miele S 4212 Turbo - In fact Miele all do well

as does Bosch BSGL5PROGB Home Professional

Uprights

Miele S 7210

Miele S 7260 Cat & Dog

Miele S 7510 AutoCare

Sebo Felix 1 Premium

and all the other uprights in top are Dysons!

If you want more info PM me... (I have Which subscription)... most come up as available in highstreet stores..

Inge

Sadly I'm not qualified to comment on the strengths and weaknesses of any particular vaccuum cleaner. However Mr HappyMaz speaks highly of his Dyson, and if I were more qualified I'd tell you which model it is. I don't think it has that filter thingy though, and isn't an upright. I think parts of it might be yellow. And I'm fairly sure that it makes a lovely clicky sound when the bit you hoover with gets extended.

Good luck in finding a new model, Cait. No more lemons this time, I hope!

Maz

Cait.......I too had a dyson for years.......surprised it one day by doing the whole house and it blew up :o (well stopped working anyway xD )

Following a tip from Which - I bought a Miele Allervac Sensor 5000............it's a cylinder vac.

Now ....... I am not one to get excited about any form of cleaning apparatus......but have to say I have been pleased with it :(

I bought the Miele allergy model with HEPA filter in 2003 when my youger dd was a newborn with a house dust mite allergy. I love it - especially the lovely big soft dusting brush. I'm often tempted to take it to church with me when it's my turn on the cleaning rota because their Henry feels pathetic in comparison.

This is the up-to-date version

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/2...ALLERVAC-SENSOR

I hope you solve your vacuum issues soon Cait :o

We have a miele cat and dog TT5000 and it is great. It wasn't cheap but it is built to last and has lots of different nozzles/attachments.

I got it on ebay as it was much cheaper than the electrical shops.

I have a baby Dyson and it's pretty rubbish too...so disappointing! You're right, advertising is a very powerful thing and I think I must be very suggestible and get taken in by it all. But there seem to be lots of people happy with their Dysons. I will watch this thread with interest. Incidentally, we've been through loads of vacuum cleaners at nursery too including a Dyson, but now have a Henry which has lasted us a year or so with no problems.

Beehive

Having shelled out for the old Dyson some years ago, quickly felt it was all "fur and no knickers", sadly not very good at all.

I have a Henry and I love him to bits, he is very straight forward, but not allergy efficient, but we don't suffer from allergies. 3 men and one cat in household and Henry copes very well!

Henry..........good, relaible and efficient.Costs under £100 and it's a star. I LOATED the THREE Dysons we bought ( at hubby;s insistence I should add) and they all ended up at the tip, absolute junk.But henry?? He goes on for ever and picks up rubbish like a dream.Trust me,Henry's the man for the job!

x Good luck hoover shopping x

Nope, not going for a hoover. Actually, I don't think I've every owned one? Are they any good? I've only ever had electrolux and dyson. The preschool one came from Woolworths and was £35 and that's better than my dyson!

• 2 weeks later...

So, obviously not managed to buy a new one yet - wait till we get back from hols.

For those of you who love their Dysons - is that bit in the middle of the cylinder meant to spin round? Mine doesn't - what's the point of it otherwise!

Miele all the way for me and it is always up at the top in Which reviews. Brilliant with dog hairs, especially those of my lovely long haired (but sadly departed) collie. I had a Dyson and will never have one again as bits kept breaking off. I don't think a Dyson is very healthy as the dust goes all over the place when it is emptied. On the other hand Miele bags are quite expensive, but you can get cheaper non-brand bags on the internet which work quite well.

Yes, I think I'm decided on a Miele. I used the Dyson this morning and it didn't even manage to pick up hole-punch circles off the carpet and a bit of onion skin off the vinyl floor in the kitchen! It's good physical activity, it really gets your blood pumping what with being furious and scrubbing away making several passes over a hair on the carpet before bending down and picking it up anyway!