Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Do You Think About This Then?

purplewednesday1

I wonder if any of you level headed peeps out there can offer an opinion on this....

My son (4yrs not starting school til september but is in a reception class (independent nursery / school), went on an outing today. We were informed of outing and permission slip was signed and returned. The outing was to a venue about a mile away. On the permission slip there was no mention of transport so i assumed they'd walk (it's an easy walk).

My son now tells me that his class all walked except for him (because, as he says: "I didn't want to"). My son went, on his own, in the car with the Nursery Nurse.

I'm a bit shocked - on his own? without my knowledge? what's the insurance situation? it was during paid nursery time and they didn't charge extra for the trip .... I don't know what to think.

Am I overreacting?

Should I raise my concerns or not? - they already think I'm a nightmare parent because I ask questions!!!!

Grateful to get any one elses view

Thanks

pw xx

If he's absolutely sure that's what happend, I think it's time for Nightmare on Elm Street!!! Go and ask your questions - I would be appalled. Surely they must understand that they cannot carry on like this in this day and age.

Couldn't agree more - what were they thinking of? :o

No I dont think you are overreacting, the least they could have done was to give you a call and ask for permission to take him (assuming of course they that had appropriate insurance and car seat?).

I would raise it, by explaining what your son told you and asking if this is correct, and then if so ask them why they didn't contact you and what their position is re insurance etc.

If you are unhappy with their response, I would make a formal written complaint, which would (hopefully) at least ensure that it doesn't happen again

I wonder if the nursery nurse was aware of the risk she was taking in driving him in her car without another adult for company? There are so many scenarios running through my head - just mind boggling.

Hope you get some answers, pw!

Maz

because, as he says: "I didn't want to"

WHAT!!! what on earth are they thinking of? Whatever happened to "Well we're all walking so you are!" :o

I'd seriously want to know if my child had been transported somewhere - I'd need to know they had the correct insurance cover and car seats etc. What was she thinking of taking him anywhere on her own? In a way it's good it's you, because you know why it's wrong and, as you say, you can stop it every happening again.

This whole scenario seems bizarre and I'd be wanting to get to the bottom of it. Kick up a stink!

Edited by Cait

yep I think I'd be asking if it really happened? I would'nt dare, crikey, what were they thinking!!

my son went for a walk when he was in pre-school, said he was tired, the staff said 'come on you live on a farm you must do lots of walking with dad around the sheep?' his reply 'no we go on the quad bike.'

they still made him walk. hehe

The last time I had a child who refused to go on a walk I simply picked him up and got to the end of the street before he asked to walk.

Did whoever is in charge know about this? I waould talk to the person in charge and ask about their policy on outings - does it state what would happen if a child refuses to go? I'd personally make it clear via a letter that I never want it happening again or I will go straight to OfSTED.

The way I would approach it is to go in and say 'you'll never believe what my son told me, he's got a great imagination, because I just know you'd never be silly enough to do that'. That should put them on the back foot and get them thinking about the many different ways in which what they did was wrong.

Personally I'd also be thinking seriously about moving him elsewhere if that is an option at all? It really doesn't sound good at all if they're not even aware that it was a terrible idea.

Shocked is my first reaction. Had they tried and failed to phone you? Do they have a presumption that if you agree to the trip you agree to how they get there? Does the NN have insurance that covers this?

I'd certainly ask questions.

It certainly rings alarm bells as a parent and a Nursery Manger Please question it!

Thankfully nothing happened to your son but even with risk assessments we always have the 'What if' my main concern would be appropriate seating in car, insurance, why just one to one and my mind is now questioning???

Ensure you have facts correct and then question, if not happy take it further

Good luck

Sue

WHAT!!! what on earth are they thinking of? Whatever happened to "Well we're all walking so you are!" :o

I quite agree! I think I'd actually be more alarmed that the staff were allowing my child to get away with saying "I don't want to", whatever happened to teaching children that they can't get their own way!? Perhaps you should question with the staff exactly what sort of fuss your son was making that they felt the need to take him in their car? I quite agree that they should never have done something like that without your permission, but perhaps raising question about why they felt the need to do so in the first place might get them to seriously think about what they are doing.

I wonder if any of you level headed peeps out there can offer an opinion on this....

My son (4yrs not starting school til september but is in a reception class (independent nursery / school), went on an outing today. We were informed of outing and permission slip was signed and returned. The outing was to a venue about a mile away. On the permission slip there was no mention of transport so i assumed they'd walk (it's an easy walk).

My son now tells me that his class all walked except for him (because, as he says: "I didn't want to"). My son went, on his own, in the car with the Nursery Nurse.

I'm a bit shocked - on his own? without my knowledge? what's the insurance situation? it was during paid nursery time and they didn't charge extra for the trip .... I don't know what to think.

Am I overreacting?

Should I raise my concerns or not? - they already think I'm a nightmare parent because I ask questions!!!!

Grateful to get any one elses view

Thanks

pw xx

My God! That is unbelievable! How did they think you would not find out? Surely they know children talk to their parents! I would be shocked and want answers! I am equally surprised that the nursery nurse did it! Does the car belong to the nursery or was it her own?

Hi all

Thankyou for all your replies. I will go and talk to them about what apparently happened yesterday. I have concerns not only as a parent but as a professional too - I want to see their transporting children policy and check out that all the insurance implications (feels a bit stable door .... horse .... bolted). I'm more rational about it today and think I can have a sensible conversation whereas yesterday I was in full-on 'steaming mad mummy' mode. I'll let you all know what transpires.

Thanks again

pw xx

Oh. pw! What were they thinking!?

Hope you managed to have a talk with them today and have given them something to reflect on over the weekend!

Nona

I'd be interested to know as well. I recently found out that all the teachers in my school are automatically covered to carry children on their normal insurance policy, they were asked to ring up to check by the school and all were told that actually they didn't need to do or pay anything extra by their insurance companies. I wonder if it's the same with nursery children? It's something to do with using the car for work transport so I wondered if it was the same? Or perhaps it actually comes under the setting insurance rather than the car insurance.

Hmm to be honest even if my policy covered transporting children when I am working, I wouldn't really want to do it, the responsiblity of that if something should happen is unthinkable, but strangely, giving lifts to my children's friends has never bothered me in quite the same way.

As a childminder my policy covers me for transporting children on routine outings and school runs, plus social activities - this is VERY different from "to and from your place of work"

Parents sign a permission slip for regular outings plus a separate one for planned trips - ie the zoo. I was under the impression that school or nursery staff who have insurance on their own vehicles are covered for transport to school activities - quizzes, netball matches or the dreaded run to A&E!?

Again, those that I know have it NEVER transport children on their own - it's very much a grey area isn't it?

Nona

I have fully comprehensive insurance but it does not include transporting children in my preschool- I was told that transporting children during my working day is not included in 'to and from my place of work' but is classed as 'business use' and I would need to amend/change my policy. Apparently this is completely different to giving a friends child 'a lift'

I chose not to do so and not to be responsible for driving other people's children anywhere!

My employer does have appropriate insurance on her vehicle and also ensured she purchased all the relevant child seats/restraints etc and all parents sign a 'transport permission' form.

Oh pw - does that make it better or worse for you?! I bet you'd got it all sorted in your head as to exactly what you wanted to say and then .... wait a week! How frustrating :o

We'll have given you a million other things to consider by then, after hijacking your post and going off at a tangent - as always!!

Hope you enjoy your holiday regardless!

Nona

Edited by Guest

How annoying! At least it's more time to think about what you're going to say - just trying to look on the good side here, it's so annoying when you're all ready for the discussion and then it gets put off!

Hmm to be honest even if my policy covered transporting children when I am working, I wouldn't really want to do it, the responsiblity of that if something should happen is unthinkable, but strangely, giving lifts to my children's friends has never bothered me in quite the same way.

Don't come to work at the school I'm in then! It seems to be taken as given that you'll give children lifts in your car to sporting events/school trips/after school competitions etc. At least they avoid doing it with just one teacher and one child most of the time, but there doesn't seem to be any problem apparently with one teacher and more than one child in the car.

That's when a school mini bus comes in handy I suppose Kariana

Indeed it would. Such things require a great deal of funding and a qualified driver though sadly, neither of which are likely to land on our doorstep anytime soon.

Edited by Guest

Have you seen sight of their outings policy?

This may give you an idea of what you complaint / questioning is about. ie should she have been on her own with him? Did she have a car seat / the correct car insurance?

I think that you have a duty to the children / other parents to sort this out / others may not be aware that anything is wrong with this going on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)