Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Have You Voted?

sunnyday

My local 'polling station' very busy today - how interesting.......I imagined the opposite might happen and that people would feel they were 'tired' of all politicians and possibly stay away in protest!

I have voted, but as regular forum members know........ I do like to have my say!!! :o

Sunnyday

Hi Sunnyday, I've decided to protest by not going to vote. The whole lot of them (politicians) seem corrupt and self serving. I think there will be a very low turn out and sadly some minority parties will do better because of this.

I'm in the Isle of Man this week so can't vote and wasn't organised enough to arrange a postal vote :o I am really cross with myself. Although I feel the same about the lack of integrity in a lot of politicians, the BNP are putting up candidates all over the place, so I think it is more important than ever to go and vote to keep them out especially as there could be a backlash. ( Sorry if you are BNP we are all entitled to our own opinions) I always think of it in terms of not voting, being a vote for the winner.

I felt I had to vote and did so on my way home. The 2 officials looked bored out of their brains and it was so dead in there.

There were 13 different parties on the paper (Euro ones are just party rather than individuals) some I'd never heard of and others more well known such as the usual 3 and then UKIP, BNP etc.

I feel that we must make the effort and vote, regardless of this current situation with the expenses.

I've just been to vote.......very quiet in my polling station.

I didn't really want to because of the disgracful behaviour of our politicians but my dad always reminded me of the women who fought and died to give me the right to vote.......even now he's gone I still remember this.

I've just been down to take Mum & Cambells some apples, and chocolate and the newspapers...

But I have to admit, all this stuff goes straight over my head. Mum tried to explain it last night, and I just gave up listening. So due to the fact I don't understand what I'm voting for, or why I'm voting, or even who all the parties are... I didn't vote.

Done.. have a postal vote

feel that if you don't vote you cannot complain about the outcome or what follows, and as said women fought hard to get the vote so should I not waste their hard work...

Inge

Yes my Husband and I went to the polling station at 7.20 this morning ans he is away with work today and won't be home till tomorrow- They had only seem 7 other people vote up until that time; but then it was early.

L

Postal vote ... so done and dusted at the beginning of the week. Like everyone, I feel really annoyed with politicians, especially as us teachers seem to be forever buying things for class which we don't get round to claiming for/ or don't even think about it, but I am worried that some parties whose views I really worry about might get in if we all use our protest vote of not voting :o

I did vote earlier and have encouraged my 18 year old to vote for the first time, so I hope she went on her way to work this evening.

I also had day off as our hall is the polling station. When I got there, they said, oh you're the lady from the pre school, we've had 2 deliveries for you. They seemed very put out and worried that they had to sign for them and had just left the boxes in the entrance hall, hadn't even bothered to move them. Obviously far far too busy....NOT!

Jo

I have voted - as I did my dissertation for my degree on women and getting the vote, I feel very strongly about using my vote. I had thought about not voting in protest but as we are only voting for European elections, I will make my protest about MPs in other ways later on!

My polling station has recently moved more centrally into our area (in the sticks) and although it was quiet (just before supper) it was nice to have it on my way home.

my dad always reminded me of the women who fought and died to give me the right to vote

I always think this so always vote even if disgruntled by local councillors or MP's. The polling station was full but not as full as last years council election when the que was out of the door.Took the puppy as a walk and I think he thought everyone had come to see him as I stood outside waiting for my other half. 9 candidates so took a while in my booth to study them :o

I have been to vote with my parents tonight, we nearly forgot.

There was soo many choices my poor mum couldn't work out where to put her vote. Must admit there were so many parties it was confusing. Then we all had fun trying to fold the vote up again! lol lol

I made the mistake of taking my six year old with me. She stood in the middle of the (very quiet) room and said in a loud voice "Mummy you have to vote for Gordon Brown. You are voting for Gordon Brown aren't you?" She followed me to the little cubicle and demanded to be shown which one was Gordon Brown on the list and of course he wasn't there. She then told everyone as we were leaving that her Mummy was going to vote for Gordon Brown but they forgot to put him on. I thought I was embarrassed until I looked at her 12 year old sister who was mortified!

:oxD:( That made me laough out loud :(:( :wacko:

i also voted, tho was not to impressed really. since all politicians talk rubbish righ now

I made the mistake of taking my six year old with me. She stood in the middle of the (very quiet) room and said in a loud voice "Mummy you have to vote for Gordon Brown. You are voting for Gordon Brown aren't you?" She followed me to the little cubicle and demanded to be shown which one was Gordon Brown on the list and of course he wasn't there. She then told everyone as we were leaving that her Mummy was going to vote for Gordon Brown but they forgot to put him on. I thought I was embarrassed until I looked at her 12 year old sister who was mortified!

I voted at around 7.30 tonight. The man in the polling station said that out of 1040 people on the roll only 260 had shown up so far, so I dont think its going to be a huge turnout.

Hi I voted because I think we should do = we are so lucky to live in a democracy regardless of some of the things that have been going on - voted around 5pm and there was hardly anyone there. Dot

Well I've just got home from my exploits as a poll clerk! I must say it has been a humbling experience: lots of teenagers who are first time voters, some of whom seemed incredibly nervous and unsure what to do and others who bounded in as if on some great adventure. Then there were the elders of our local community who walked in rather more slowly, some seemed to be in pain and some using walking aids. For them it had not been an easy trip to the polling station but they made it and ensured they had their say. I was particularly struck by the families who all came together to vote, and how proud the parents of the first time voters were to be sharing the occasion with their children.

It has been a day of seeing democracy at work, and lots of people said they thought they were doing something important.

We had lots of laughs, campbells and I - especially when one little boy moved from one booth to the other and then told mummy in a loud voice "daddy put his cross against that one!". So much for the privacy of the ballot box. :o

There were lots of grumbles about the state of politics and how unreliable the whole lot are, surprise at the number of candidates (15 in our area), and the problems with folding the paper to fit in the box. We even heard that people were ringing a radio station to complain that the papers were being folded so that one party would appear not to be on the ballot paper!

It has been a long day but I've enjoyed it and I'd definitely do it again - I was poll clerking in my own polling station so I was able to talk to my old Brownies, parents from the nursery I used to work at and people I have known through school since MrsWeasley was five!

Whether you voted or not is up to your own conscience and beliefs and no-one has the right to lecture you about your choices. Apart from your mother, of course! xD

I'm going to work on MrsWeasley so that she is more adequately briefed for General Election which seems to be inching ever closer. Incidentally I've come up with an idea to field a candidate at the next election - we're calling it the "Pay childcare workers what they're worth" party.

Any takers?

Maz

Helen and I voted mid-afternoon yesterday. We wandered in, had a chat with a couple of the party vote counters we knew (one of whom is the best childminder in Lewes!) and then left - during all of that time no other voters were in the building!

I think it's important to vote, and although it's easy to understand people's frustration in the present climate I don't think it's fair to tar all politicians with the same brush. You can find many MPs from all parties who are scrupulous about their expenses and who work passionately and with great ability for their constituents and the public good. Those people need us to retain our faith in democracy which, of course, is the worst political system in the world - apart from all the others!