Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Department for Education (DfE) has published the funding rates for three- and four-year-olds for 2019/2020.

nomski100

Do you think those figures are what the counties get? Ours is the same but we don’t get what it says we do this year so thinking it isn’t what we will actually get ....let’s hope they don’t slice anymore off :-( 

edit: just read it’s the county rate on your link (only saw a list previously) :-( 

Edited by Mouseketeer

17 minutes ago, nomski100 said:

You don’t get what it states😩your local authority gets it then gives us a lower rate. Read that you might get 93% of it. 

I have worked out that we only got 86% of what our local authority got last year🤔

So as expected no increase AGAIN! But minimum wage and pension contributions set to increase.  Yet another nail in the coffin of small providers. 😡😢 Just how many providers are going to have to close before the government holds up their hands and admits the underfunded carnage that it has created.

should just say that for the spring term ONLY we are being given 20p extra for three and four year olds, which is great but it is a one term only increase.  

Edited by zigzag

I agree zigzag - have had yet another email from county this week with details of a sale of nursery equipment - so sad, another one bites the dust

Funding for Kent shows 4.48 and no increase - we actually receive 4.00 - makes me cross just typing that

Meanwhile they continue to book 'swanky' hotels for training days and producing glossy 'brochures' - sure I could cut some costs for them!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sunnyday the fact that my county keep 11p per hr, working on 15 funded 3/4yrs per day (which increase through the yr) mean they keeping £49.50 a week (at least 2000.00 a year) from JUST my setting a year and yours is 48p an hr so more than 4x that :-O ....what are they doing with it? We rarely see an advisor, we pay for most of our training now even safeguarding :-( 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mouseketeer said:

Sunnyday the fact that my county keep 11p per hr, working on 15 funded 3/4yrs per day (which increase through the yr) mean they keeping £49.50 a week (at least 2000.00 a year) from JUST my setting a year and yours is 48p an hr so more than 4x that :-O ....what are they doing with it? We rarely see an advisor, we pay for most of our training now even safeguarding :-( 

They get about £15,000 from me!!!!! and i'm not full !

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, zigzag said:

And to add insult to injury we have to print our own funding forms!

YES!!  and the other term that sent out a 3 pages one to print - then a week or two later sent out a message say there was a mistake on them and we had to reprint them!

I have now mastered the art of 'cut n paste' down to such a fine skill that I can now get their current 3 pages onto 1 sheet with space to sparexD.  (last term it was 4 pages but I recon they got a lot of complaints)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

we now email everything to parents and ask them to print! cheeky I know but saves a fortune and TBH they are the ones getting the 'free' childcare...it's costing me money!

Good move - however not sure we'd actually get anything back..... and then they might not do double sidedO.o.....and then I would have filing issues as I might need to staple things- and as a pack-away with very limited storage even a 'staple' makes a difference to my filing capacity- let along multiple sheets taking up more room! :oxDxD

Seriously though I do like to have the 'child details' and 'signature' on one sheet- as its less to get lost/muddled etc.

Do any LA offer one funding form that just needs a signature each term for any changes?  3/4 sheets x 3 times a year is a lot of waste. We don't even actually do anything with them other than keep for records. Maybe parents could just log on themselves and do it online?  I think offering to help the few parents that would need support in doing so would outweigh the printing/chasing up costs.

It's fine actually .The original form is 4 pages but the second page has a list for the terms then the hours funded and non funded and the parents sign the last box we usually (don't tell the borough) get them to sign all the boxes and just fill in each term! . Then it's all put on the hub ...that's where the issues tend to start at the moment! but i'm afraid that may be because some of my colleagues in the area are unable to follow instructions:ph34r:

• Haha 2

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:54, Mouseketeer said:

I worked mine out at 86.00 per week and we are a very small setting - not on at all really...….

• 2 months later...
On 25/11/2018 at 11:35, louby loo said:

Do any LA offer one funding form that just needs a signature each term for any changes?  3/4 sheets x 3 times a year is a lot of waste. 

Blackpool, We only fill the form in once and email it to them. We only need to fill it in again if there are changes to be made but otherwise just once for the whole time the child is with us. To be fair, after hearing other peoples stories, they seem quite good with us, we get paid monthly and always on time.

I would welcome a switch to monthly payments.  For the first time this term, I was unable to pay the January wages without arranging a £10,000 overdraft with the bank.  We are still waiting for the balance of our funding to be paid and have been told by email this morning that it will be the end of next week.  Meanwhile, I have a pile of bills I cannot pay and am accruing costs for staying overdrawn.  It makes me blooming mad!

• Sad 1

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:59, Stargrower said:

I would welcome a switch to monthly payments.  For the first time this term, I was unable to pay the January wages without arranging a £10,000 overdraft with the bank.  We are still waiting for the balance of our funding to be paid and have been told by email this morning that it will be the end of next week.  Meanwhile, I have a pile of bills I cannot pay and am accruing costs for staying overdrawn.  It makes me blooming mad!

Oh Stargrower what an absolutely horrible situation to be in :( wish that I had some words of wisdom here, I really don't......

On 12/02/2019 at 10:59, Stargrower said:

That's just awful, I really feel for you :(

2 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Oh Stargrower what an absolutely horrible situation to be in :( wish that I had some words of wisdom here, I really don't......

Thank you Sunnyday.  It is a difficult time.  I actually asked the LA if they could pay us early but they said they couldn't so I had to go crawling to the bank feeling ashamed!  I know it's not my fault but I have never really been in debt (other than a mortgage) either personally or in business.  I know lots of businesses  run with huge debts or using credit but I never have.  I hope one day the government realise the huge mistake they have made in promising FREE childcare to parents without thinking through how they were actually going to pay for it. 

• Like 1

Have you checked your user agreements with the borough? does it say how and when they will pay? if so you could challenge them on this or send a letter asking for your fees from the bank to be paid due to late payment!

If you belong to the PSLA or NDNA perhaps you should also inform them!

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:44, Stargrower said:

Thank you Sunnyday.  It is a difficult time.  I actually asked the LA if they could pay us early but they said they couldn't so I had to go crawling to the bank feeling ashamed!  I know it's not my fault but I have never really been in debt (other than a mortgage) either personally or in business.  I know lots of businesses  run with huge debts or using credit but I never have.  I hope one day the government realise the huge mistake they have made in promising FREE childcare to parents without thinking through how they were actually going to pay for it. 

saw this article today...seems you're not the only one!

https://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1166916/northamptonshire-county-council-in-early-years-funding-blunder

• Like 1

Our LA are the opposite, since they've moved to monthly payments following a vote by providers (I didn't want it but was outvoted and I do believe in democracy!)  they have consistently been overpaying us by £1000's which is a nightmare as we then have to wait for an invoice to pay the money back. I have already received payments for January and February but haven't had an invoice to return the over payment from last year - accounting nightmare!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)