Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

GDPR- Staff

Emily_Scott

Dear All, 

Working my way through Preparing for GDPR, and Staff carrying documents has come up. 

I know essentially nothing should leave the site however we are a nursery and preschool fully intregrated within a school. School staff and EY staff (not Nursery) have personal laptops that may contain information such as class lists, Parent consultation forms, Reports etc. 

I personally work from home 2 days of the week and my Teachers handbook and laptop travel with me each day to ensure i have what i need, these currently have all the information i need to effectively manage the EY's. 

How do i go about this while also being compliant with GDPR and data protection? Any ideas? 

This whole GDPR is really opening up "cans of worms" I feel, we collect sooo much information, I am having a really good think about how I can cut a lot of it, or stop reproductions of it.

Are the laptops pass word protected,  encrypted, so if for some odd reason they were mislaid, stolen etc. no one could identify a person or child on them, maybe if they are not the school could invest in encrypted memory sticks for you all - have you all the necessary permissions at the moment to keep these records offsite to work on?  I suspect you will need specific parental permission to do this as well as dear old Ofsted's.

It's going to be hard to be fully compliant on day one I think, but we must keep trying, good thing we have time on our side at the moment.

Let's see what other's throw up about this subject:D

Edited by Panders

Isn’t it ever Panders? For me it isn’t the questions being raised about what we collect, why we have it, what we do with it type things as I can logically work through that but it’s more about the little things I’m reading about that suddenly seem massive issues like not having names on work or coat pegs...how are they ever going to recognise their names if they can’t see it on anything, or know that’s theirs and be proud of it ? And the progress tracking folder I keep on the shelf or the list of names and days stuck to the side of my pc......does everything need to be locked in a filing cabinet ( how many b€$¥&y filing cabinets will we need and how many hours are going to be wasted trying to find stuff in them?)or is it acceptable to say it’s in a locked office in a locked building? Can I even have a list of committee members on the information board and yes with agreement the chair and treasure have their phone number displayed, Is it all getting blown out of proportion and will things really have to change that much? :/ 

Sorry Emily...went off on a tangent there, I also do work from home and keep most of my registers, lists, group sheets etc on onedrive so I can access from home if I need them, staff have tablets they take home, all are password protected, the devices and then Tapestry, haven’t got into ‘encrypted’ yet though :-/ 

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 2

Yes to all the above:D it is in the minute details, I keep a list of names and days on my pc too, so handy for a quick check.   I must admit, my default will be 'it is in a locked cabinet in a locked office at a secure location!!!

• Thanks 1

It's interesting isn't it how much you learn when you do an audit! O.o

We have decided to to the following - encryption key for our laptops (which means that if you don't have the little usb thingy in the laptop it won't work), also password protected. We are also having a 'clear desk policy' which means when we go home we literally put our 'in tray paperwork' into a locked drawer or locked filing cabinet.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a useful GDPR article/PowerPoint the other day which had some findings from Nursery audits, it shared good practice already seen and things to work on, something else it made me question was our children’s drawers, they have a hard LJ (alongside Tapestry) which has a cover with their name & DOB, ‘all about me’ sheet,  2 yr check, work evidence and a few photos for them to look back on (and they often do), does anyone else have this kind of thing and what are you going to do about it? ....is this all getting to silly? 

Hi Mousie - we only have a hard LJ.   The information you are saying are also kept in ours.  They are locked away at the end of the session.  I think the information we keep is legitimate and needed and not excessive.  They do not leave the setting, other than when they are in the possession of their parents.   At the moment my thinking is we will keep things the same.  Just reiterate to parents to be careful with them because of the information in them.  We are doing our part by locking them away.

Hi Panders, when you say ‘locked away’ do you remove them at the end of each day, lock in a filing cabinet and then put back in their drawers each morning ? The more I read the more I think the practicalities are going to be a pain to manage, the ‘clear desk’ policy gives me a headache thinking about it, you walk into any office and there are files upon files nicely lined up on shelves, are people really going to start  locking all that away......I think the best course of action is to give our children a number like cattle and swallow the evidence :bananas:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Hi Panders, when you say ‘locked away’ do you remove them at the end of each day, lock in a filing cabinet and then put back in their drawers each morning ?

the rules say secure, SO would locking doors count?? If you have others coming in to the environment (cleaners other hall users) then you would need to at least lock the office or the filing cabinet.

• Haha 1

Lol I’m hoping doors count Fm, all paperwork (except the chn’s journals’ ) is in a locked office in a locked building, very important with loads of personal/ payroll details are in locked filing cabinet, inside a locked office, inside the locked building and if anyone breaks in with the intention of stealing payroll info they’ll take one look at what we’re paid and soon realise they’ve wasted their time ;-) 

• Haha 4

Oneupmanship is not a becoming trait louby loo :P 

I’m thinking the easiest option will be one of those things you stand folders in (with handle holes either end) registers, accident book and anything we use throughout a session can go in that and be moved and locked in the office each evening (it can be added to our close up check list). Still not sure what to do with chn’s LJ’s though.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

I’m thinking the easiest option will be one of those things you stand folders in (with handle holes either end) registers, accident book and anything we use throughout a session can go in that and be moved and locked in the office each evening (it can be added to our close up check list). Still not sure what to do with chn’s LJ’s though.

Is that a 10p shopping bag? xD   Actually the 40p wine bags are better- you need to carefully cut the 'bottle section bit' out though- but they are excellent A4 folder size.

Seriously though- we have a Ikea 4 hole kallex [think that's the name] on wheels - would you be able to wheel something like that into your office each evening ?   We had to put a back on it- but its a good size to double up as a small desktop for diary, registers etc.

• Haha 2

On 4/1/2018 at 23:16, louby loo said:

Maybe we all need those tobacco shelves/units they have in supermarkets/shops. xDxD

I feel that as a total packaway that can't even leave a single display out,  I'm actually at an advantage for a change!

I was just thinking that as we have to pack away all our 'office' stuff (which includes all paperwork) it was actually one less thing to worry about, then i saw your post! Aren't we lucky :D:D

Edited by lynned55
  • Like 1

I think I am right in saying that:

• Staff records have to be kept for 6 years after they leave, this includes application forms, references, training records etc.  There are longer time frames for staff records of pay, sick pay tax etc.
  • We do not keep application forms for unsuccessful candidates.

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Edit to say obviously these can be securely archived.

Edited by zigzag

Sounds good to me, I’ve gone with ‘legal obligation’ for application forms, reason - suitability (EYFS 3.9) as part of safer recruitment process, as for reference names/details on app forms I’m hoping it’s enough to add a statement along the lines of ‘has this person consented to being a named reference for the purpose of this application?  Yes. / No)...will that do?

Hi All

Regarding staff data and payroll?

We have a self employed bookkeeper who is based off site who deals with all our payroll. Obviously she has data on our staff and uses an accounts program for payroll/pensions.

I am going to ask her what data she keeps and how kept secure, however would payroll/HMRC/Pensions be '3rd parties' the data is shared with adn therefore need to contact to ensure they are compliant.

Has anyone got to this point so far in their GDPR audit/minefield?

Thanks

C

Hi C1403, check out the site playgroup1 posted on the ‘To do list’ thread (www.childcare.co.uk). if you go to GDPR documents then audit information it has broken down all the diff types of paperwork we retain, which lawful basis and EYFS section/point, who it might be shared with, how long etc 

I have included our payroll company in my ‘sharing data’ column

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)