Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

checking codes for 30 hours

laura

Had to chuckle at this email i had from our county today... I've got 47 children who I've got codes for... think I may be on the phone a long time!!! I'll be waiting for the checker!

Do you have a parent with a 30 hours ID code and their written permission to validate this with the local authority?

The Early Years Hub (containing the automated 30 hours checker) will be available in the next couple of weeks. However, if you want us to check the 30 hours code for you now so you can secure the child's place for September, please call the EYE team and provide the following details:

• The Parent NI number
  • The 11 digit eligibility code [ DERN - Department for Education Reference Number ]
  • The Childs Date of Birth

• Like 1

Written permission to validate the code?? This is new one on me - surely the fact that they have given you the code means they give permission?

Goodness no hopeytg that would be far too simple ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

We must generate as much paperwork as is humanly possible, ideally several copies of said paperwork should be made and kept in many different folders :ph34r: :lol:

• Like 5

I agree Sunnyday!

We were told at a meeting last week that we have to verify our funded children TWICE each term, once on headcount day, and once in the second half of the term. No reason given.

They changed their minds this week though...

I think we have to get the parent claim form completed and signed by parent before we check. I have only checked one family so far. They are the only ones who have managed to get their code. I put the code into the portal and it was declined. It took me a while to realise that it has to be the details of the parent who applied. Well, that then worked for me but you never know.

yes - written permission! we all said at managers briefings that surely if they give us the code we have permission.

When i send out the declaration forms i'll be including a statement with it - ' by completeing this form you have given us permission to check your code.'

Lincolnshire to be fair are quite good. We've changed to an annual declaration form for september although there are A LOT of boxes on it! It's going to confuse the parents!

The 'hub' will also be checked by them regularly so once i've inputted all the data on it they will check it periodically. It will also help with children leaving/starting. It'll flag up who's code is going to expire, pupil premium children, so will hopefully be a useful tool.

• Like 2

It's been reated as a double checkig system - once for parent to get code and inform setting, then for LA to verify the code for Dfe etc.

Complain to your MPs.

Half the people who hink they have a place for Sept won't as their number hasn't been validated by their LA yet.

Cx

It's been reated as a double checkig system - once for parent to get code and inform setting, then for LA to verify the code for Dfe etc.

Complain to your MPs.

Half the people who hink they have a place for Sept won't as their number hasn't been validated by their LA yet.

Cx

Ouch - that's for the parents and practitioners who are thinking they have this 'all sorted' for September :(

And you just know it will all be left till the last minute then the site will crash :-\

Maybe another one for the reg forms 'JUST IN CASE at some point you might be eligible to 30 hrs funding please sign to give the setting permission to check said eligibility code'

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If a parent has a code which entitles them to the 30 hours, and you as a provider don’t verify that code before the 31st August, the child WILL NOT BE FUNDED FOR THEIR 30 HOURS FROM THE 1ST SEPTEMBER 2017. ALL CODES NEED TO BE VERIFIED - please do not assume that a parent is eligible because they have told you they are

This has just come through on an email, I'm reading and running as got a committee meeting tonight ...oh joy!

Yes, we have had the same email- asked LA what should term time settings like us should do. Told- we would have to contact all of our parents that think they may be eligible and get them to get the code and pass on to us and sign a permission slip as well. This is fine for existing parents but we have a lot coming in Sept that could be eligible. Apart from the amount of work this has caused us all for 0.90p per hour less than we get now in fees- parents are now coming back to us saying website keeps crashing and they cant get on or they've rang to be told by HMRC they will be given a number in the next 15 days- where we will be finished. I really do not want to spend the summer holidays checking emails and sending on stuff to our LA .

I'm so mad about this- its just more proof that this was so ill thought out.

• Like 2

I have parents who have managed to get their codes. I have even been on our portal to verify their eligibility. We have booked their hours for September only for them to come back to us because their Tax Credits have been reduced. These are low income families. It hardly seems fair as surely these are the people who need the childcare. Anyway, just lost 15 hours of booked childcare ( mum on maternity so is at home). The other family is going away to do the maths. Anyone else found this? Must admit - I don't know much about the benefit system.

Yes, we have had the same email- asked LA what should term time settings like us should do. Told- we would have to contact all of our parents that think they may be eligible and get them to get the code and pass on to us and sign a permission slip as well. This is fine for existing parents but we have a lot coming in Sept that could be eligible. Apart from the amount of work this has caused us all for 0.90p per hour less than we get now in fees- parents are now coming back to us saying website keeps crashing and they cant get on or they've rang to be told by HMRC they will be given a number in the next 15 days- where we will be finished. I really do not want to spend the summer holidays checking emails and sending on stuff to our LA .

I'm so mad about this- its just more proof that this was so ill thought out.

So agree with you lynedd 55! I think it's a disgrace that we are expected to do all this extra work for the government without any extra finance!! Or less where you're concerned! This is why it should be boycotted until it's properly sorted - this is NOT our problem!

• Like 2

I have parents who have managed to get their codes. I have even been on our portal to verify their eligibility. We have booked their hours for September only for them to come back to us because their Tax Credits have been reduced. These are low income families. It hardly seems fair as surely these are the people who need the childcare. Anyway, just lost 15 hours of booked childcare ( mum on maternity so is at home). The other family is going away to do the maths. Anyone else found this? Must admit - I don't know much about the benefit system.

their tax credits shouldn't be an issue for 30 hours...unless they going for a funded 2 year old space.

If Mum is on maternity and still employed by the company I think you will find she is still eligible ...will try and find the link to this bit for you!!

• Like 1

their tax credits shouldn't be an issue for 30 hours...unless they going for a funded 2 year old space.

If Mum is on maternity and still employed by the company I think you will find she is still eligible ...will try and find the link to this bit for you!!

Thanks finleysmaid. Yes they are definitely eligible and have given me their code. The issue is, they say they cannot afford to use the extra 15 hours because their tax credits will be reduced. So they will be worse off.

Thanks finleysmaid. Yes they are definitely eligible and have given me their code. The issue is, they say they cannot afford to use the extra 15 hours because their tax credits will be reduced. So they will be worse off.

ok so I may be losing the plot...(and aren't we all with the 30 hours!) but this is the free 30 hours,,,NOT the childcare vouchers....why would their tax credits be reduced????

I have completely lost the plot. My capacity sheet for next term is like the oky-coky. In, out, in, out! Yes the 30 hours only. I don't understand it.

Edited by lsp

https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/providers/

30 hours is TAX free...it is only for parents who are working the equivalent of 16 hours at minimum wage...it should not effect your tax credits..childcare vouchers are now in the control of parents ...these would change their tax arrangements as the money is taken from taxable income and as she is on maternity leave her wages will be reduced......only my opinion of course!!!

• Like 1

I think what they lose is the childcare element of tax credits - but they aren't actually losing it as they are getting an additional 15 hours paid for.

I think that's what is meant- I'm not really up on tax credits- they weren't around when my children were dependents.

Ok folks - update on the loss of tax credits for my parents who said they have signed up for 30 hours. I have spoken to the HMRC helpline. They confirmed that 30 hour scheme should not affect tax credits, unlike the tax free childcare. They are saying that people are signing up to the Tax Free Childcare scheme without realising. The solution is (here we go) they need to keep a record of their 30 hour code. They need to log into their tax free child account, click on manage account, click on child's name, click on close account. Must admit that I haven't spoken to the parents yet so have no idea if this actually works.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)