Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sooo how's Crimbo going at yours?

Panders

We had some funny photos today with the children - we got one of those photo booth packs and the children really took to it. Some great shots, we will be putting them onto the digital frame to play while the parents are in next week, hope they think they're as funny as we do!

• Like 3

Well the decs are up, we have Natvity next week and haven't even sorted the cast yet .....it might be a case of who wants to be who on the day at this rate :-/

The photo booth sounds like fun :-)

When we used to do a "proper" nativity that was the way I did it. Over the previous week or so they had all had a jolly good go at doing something they wanted to do so almost any of them could do anything on the day given enough confidence and will to do it.

Next Monday we have invited parents in and I shall read the nativity story and if any feel like dressing up they can, or if they want to bring something to wear they can - it worked ok last year, so we thought we go with the flow on it again, having not done a nativity for many years it made a good change. Tuesday is the party and then yay that's it.

• Like 1

Sorry to put a damper on things at this point. We are trying are vey best to do Christmas as usual, but it is a real struggle when you know that the last day EVER for your preschool of over 30 years will be 16th Dec Party Day. This is all due to the evil ugly sisters from Ofsted kingdom (yes 2, one being monitored) the result of which, they have taken all our gold away and so the little children cannot come and play with us anymore. As you can imagine we 3 wise, mature caring staff,15 children and their parents are devastated beyond belief. We knew we weren't perfect but they annhilated us. As the saying goes though, "The show must go on" so that's what we will do because, despite this judgement done in 3hours on a Monday, with 5 2year olds and 3 3year olds- who they said 'are not ready for school' as they were doing what 2years olds do -'learning to share' We know and our parents know, we do a good job. It may not quite be the Ofstead way -loads os obs, next steps, school readiness and oh don't get me started on the committee, except to say make sure your Chair has Child protection training, (how they expect a volunteer mum of 3, working 3 days to find time to go on a day course, especially when it's hard enough to get staff on one, beggers belief) and a degree in the Early years curriculum, as how else is she going to know what courses to put the staff on when she does the appraisals, to make you a better TEACHER to progress the children on and make them ready for school.ARRH! To get me through I have to keep telling myself "I'ts not me, it's the system" but I'm afraid it has beaten me this time. I may end up being the female version of the old man on the news looking for a job to stop me getting bored. All good fun!

Sorry folks rant over carry on the good work. Ho HO HO :1b Bar Humbug! :angry:

• Like 3

Very sad to hear that manor. The expectations are just getting ridiculous to my way of thinking. It's hard enough to scrape a committee together, let alone getting them on a course! I have been saying this for ages that Playgroup's/pre-schools cannot continue to run under committees with all the requirements and expectations that is now involved in early years. To tell the truth, if our committee knew what they were meant to be responsible for they would run. I have been in early years for the last 24 years and it really saddens me to see brilliant practioners beaten and disillusioned by the system. My heart goes out to you, because this could be any of us, let's face it, it all boils down to is one persons opinion, formed over a couple of hours. I wish you all the very best for whatever may be next for you.

• Like 8

We are doing OK. Just wish the children were healthier. Lots of really run down children trying to battle nasty coughs and colds with the constant threat of the old sicky bug lurking in the background! We are off up to the school to watch their Christmas dress rehearsal today which will be good. Controversially we are not doing a nativity this year so are just going to have a party next Friday, then we are done.

• Like 2

Sorry to put a damper on things at this point. We are trying are vey best to do Christmas as usual, but it is a real struggle when you know that the last day EVER for your preschool of over 30 years will be 16th Dec Party Day. This is all due to the evil ugly sisters from Ofsted kingdom (yes 2, one being monitored) the result of which, they have taken all our gold away and so the little children cannot come and play with us anymore. As you can imagine we 3 wise, mature caring staff,15 children and their parents are devastated beyond belief. We knew we weren't perfect but they annhilated us. As the saying goes though, "The show must go on" so that's what we will do because, despite this judgement done in 3hours on a Monday, with 5 2year olds and 3 3year olds- who they said 'are not ready for school' as they were doing what 2years olds do -'learning to share' We know and our parents know, we do a good job. It may not quite be the Ofstead way -loads os obs, next steps, school readiness and oh don't get me started on the committee, except to say make sure your Chair has Child protection training, (how they expect a volunteer mum of 3, working 3 days to find time to go on a day course, especially when it's hard enough to get staff on one, beggers belief) and a degree in the Early years curriculum, as how else is she going to know what courses to put the staff on when she does the appraisals, to make you a better TEACHER to progress the children on and make them ready for school.ARRH! To get me through I have to keep telling myself "I'ts not me, it's the system" but I'm afraid it has beaten me this time. I may end up being the female version of the old man on the news looking for a job to stop me getting bored. All good fun!

Sorry folks rant over carry on the good work. Ho HO HO :1b Bar Humbug! :angry:

:( Oh manor I am so, so sorry to read this.........

Manor I've pressed the like button but really would have liked a sad face to appear.

I will be thinking of you.

We have our Nativity this Friday. I am looking forward to it. We have had a great system. We use the Church next door which is great because everyone gets to see.

The children all have a part but they go on in groups of twos or three. Stand whilst a song is sung around them and sit down. They are fed onto the stage (altar) by my team. There is always a child or two who choose not to go on but that is ok. they have learnt the songs and tried in rehearsals so that is the important thing for me.

But there is a but and here it is. I have had to cut back a little this year and 3 part time staff have left and not been replaced. Still within ratio but at times like the nativity I am a little short of having enough hands to make it work. So I will be looking and thinking of my missing friends.

• Like 1

Manor my heart goes out to you what a sad note to end the year on. I have always said that Ofsted will not rule me or our setting , our parents and children are happy that is what matters . I hope you find peace and relflect on the positive contribution you have made over the last 30 years and the new year brings love, light and happiness to you.

We are all set for Christmas , Nativity next week , started learning songs last week , just how we like to do it , children are very enthusiastic and as usual are going to be ' sparkly knickers' on the day ! We learnt a new song this year from Maynard groovy bible tunes called ' hush there's a baby', we changed words slightly and downloaded backing track , we also singing ' go tell it on the mountain ' and twinkle twinkle and a few Christmassy ones to finish .

Parents wrapped pressies from FC ready for party day next Friday , FC booked , let .the celebrations begin

• Like 1

Manor- So sorry to hear this we had a similar experience back in June when I decided to give up fighting as ofsted expectations just kept changing each time they came, I am now waiting on registration visit to become a childminder, been waiting 14 weeks so far and the same inspector who dealt with my pre-school wrote to me about 6 weeks ago claiming I could be fined for unregistered childcare which is a load of rubbish and wish she would leave me alone lol.

Your Christmas fun sounds great everyone!