Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

100 days until - can we use the word yet?

louby loo

Well 100 days until the 'C' word.

Has anyone starting planning for it yet? (cards, gifts and calendars etc)

I like to try to plan and starting making bits early so that it doesn't become a frantic factory line in December.

Anyone one got any interesting simple ideas for things the children can make? We keep a first day piece of work for our calendars. Glitter pinecones are always popular for tree decorations.

:1b

yes, sometimes you don't want to say the actual word but you need to order things ready or else they have run out!!!!!

Exactly ....... :1b

I'm actually thinking more of ideas of things to do rather than actually 'do' them now I should add! :lol:

Christmas and Mothers day are my only times I allow adult input on craft works - and I like to plan ahead to ensure these are suitable as children's crafts - ie very very doable for the children and not too fluffy duck..

For example for our cards last year we did leaf printing at this time of year, then kept back a single leaf print in green that each child had done (that was the adult led bit) then come Christmas week- the children 'decorated' the leaf print however they wanted.

Heard my first C carol in the street today,walking along the seafront in gorgeous sunshine, perfect autumn day.

It was played by a lovely old gent busker we have around here,he only does it for company, is not very good and any money he does get goes to charity. he was happily practicing his C songs

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of Christmas :(

Spent 4 Christmases working in retail and it seriously changed the way I look at Christmas, it's a huge money making machine that turns people into crazed fools who suddenly become desperate for chestnut purée at 6pm on Christmas Eve. Also my husband works in retail and he has to open on Boxing Day this year :(

I'm back in school now so I am looking forward to doing all those festive activities with the children e.g the frantic practising for a school play, sick viruses and chicken pox hitting the school, knackered staff begging for the end of Autumn term and overdosing on chocolate biscuits and tea.

For me, I just like a few quiet days with the children and our parents, a nice dinner and a few games, no fuss and frills just being together.

• Like 1

For me, I just like a few quiet days with the children and our parents, a nice dinner and a few games, no fuss and frills just being together.

I this is why I love C so much now.

We gave up with gift buying as such a good few years ago - all very simple useful token gifts given now - usually handmade food/drink. Games we can all join in with for the children.

Big family dinner, lots of talking, no fuss :1b

• Like 2

Me too! To be honest - that was a mildèr response than I was expecting!

Feel that I need to explain myself - I actually LOVE the time that must not be named yet..........I just don't want to think about, or talk about it in September :lol: (or October, or November!)

• Like 3

Feel that I need to explain myself - I actually LOVE the time that must not be named yet..........I just don't want to think about, or talk about it in September :lol: (or October, or November!)

I completely agree and my route round Tesco has recently incorporated a detour to avoid the 'seasonal' aisle which clearly isn't. The only thinking about it I do is to plan time, ideas and materials for my own crafty projects as otherwise they don't happen.

• Like 2

NO NO AND NO. A member of my committee actually booked the village hall for our Nativity before we broke up for the summer holidays! Must admit it does pile on the pressure to produce something and we hadn't even met our new September children then to gauge the confidence etc.

I completely agree and my route round Tesco has recently incorporated a detour to avoid the 'seasonal' aisle which clearly isn't. The only thinking about it I do is to plan time, ideas and materials for my own crafty projects as otherwise they don't happen.

I must get this straight - I'm not actually talking about 'C' as an event ........ I do only mean the planning ideas and prep-work etc. :1b

NO NO AND NO. A member of my committee actually booked the village hall for our Nativity before we broke up for the summer holidays! Must admit it does pile on the pressure to produce something and we hadn't even met our new September children then to gauge the confidence etc.

We do not do a nativity.

For our little lot it's just singing and even then the 'concert' part of party day is only ever for our rising children. This works well for us as it only the older children- also less parents to fight for the front row. :o :lol: If parents of the younger children complain gently tell them it will be there turn next year.

x

Its the drip drip drip effect that makes me laugh, the way the supermarkets begin to creep stuff in thinking nobody would start tut tutting for instance today, mince pies appeared on the bakery department and in the frozen aisle lots of C packaged nibbles. Only Card Factory have had the b***s to put C cards etc. in the shop but its creeping in all over the place

• Like 1

Its the drip drip drip effect that makes me laugh, the way the supermarkets begin to creep stuff in thinking nobody would start tut tutting for instance today, mince pies appeared on the bakery department and in the frozen aisle lots of C packaged nibbles. Only Card Factory have had the b***s to put C cards etc. in the shop but its creeping in all over the place

Well I just got an email from the village post office reminding me that the last day for posting non European overseas is 29.09.16 !!!!

Well if anyone else uses Cauliflower Cards as a fundraiser they will know the cards have to be designed, made and ordered by 7 Oct!!!!! It feels so wrong to be wearing shorts to work and designing C☆☆☆☆☆☆☆s Cards at the same time!!!!

• Like 2