Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fitbit?

zigzag

I have a fitbit Alta- which I really like. The only thing it doesn't do is the heart rate monitor, which is a shame. But the number of steps, calories burned (and consumed if you can be bothered to add all that!), minutes of exercise are all good. You get a little buzz when it thinks you haven't moved enough and reminds you to go for 250 steps for the active hours that you have selected. When you get to 10,000 steps you are treated to a firework display! I like it for the simple reason it makes me move more. It automatically registers active exercise over 10 minutes in length , eg stored under 'elliptical' for the cross-trainer.

I have been known to walk round the study for 5 minutes because I can't bear to go to bed having done 9,800 steps and have to make it to the 10,000 ::1a

• Like 5

I have a Fitbit Flex.

I decided to make some significant changes this year and shift a significant amount of poundage. I am no runner (at school I was a sprinter but long distance was something that I detested even then) but I do like to walk. If you like to walk then having some kind of step measurer will help. I think like any sort of "exercise" commitment if you don't like it you won't maintain it.

Initially I wore my Fitbit to see just how much/little I was moving and whilst most days I managed 10000 steps (apparently this should be the minimum you should aim for) on some days I could be stuck in my chair on the laptop doing all that early years paperwork that doesn't exist and find that during a working day I had done as little as 3000 steps.

Since April I upped my target to 15000 steps per day - some days it is a monumental amount to get in - yesterday was a classic - 5 hours on the computer in the morning meant a significant amount of walking in the afternoon and into the evening. I am obsessive in respect of logging 15000 per day. Some days however it is surprising just how many steps that I do do and I have hit the heady heights of over 25000 on occasions.

On work days I now get up and do a lap of my local park first thing in the morning (4000) to get me started everyday. At weekends and in the holidays I do a longer circuit to get the first 10000 under my belt so to speak. I have some good wet weather gear as I will now accept no excuses for myself. Since losing my dog a few years ago I hadn't done this sort of walking and it has been quite nice seeing old dog walking pals on my travels - they all think I'm a bit mad now doing the walking in all weathers without one. I also have a good playlist and plug myself in for those times when I want to be anti social !!!!!!

The flex only counts steps and has 5 dots that light up - for a 10000 set up a light becomes solid (rather than blinking) when you have done 2000 e.g., 6000 = 3 solid lights and when you hit 10000 they are all lit up and flash and the flex vibrates for a little while.

There is a phone app and you can login on your computer for a more in depth picture of what you have been doing. So far I have earned the Great Barrier Reef badge eg 1600 miles!!

As well as tracking my steps I am monitoring my calorie intake and I have linked my fitbit to the My Fitness Pal app to log my munchies but that is another story. The link does however convert Fitbit steps to calories so you get a better picture of what's going in and what's being burnt.

To date however I have shed a significant amount of poundage, inches and am much fitter - and with that I am off in the pouring rain (great !) to stomp the park.

• Like 4

Wow! That's amazing Sue! I have been thinking for some time about getting a Fitbit and I feel particularly sluggish after the summer holidays. It's so easy to make excuses NOT to go walking but I need to stop doing that and get on with it. Thanks for posting that, I feel really inspired. ::1a

Gill

• Like 3

No matter the accuracy, it is the encouragement to get out and walk, movearound, beat your own targets or those of others too.. I have a few 'virtual' friends linked to my fit bit account , so challenges and a bit of competition between us.

I too don't like one on my wrist so I wear a fit bit one , it can sit in a pocket, or waist band, but I wear it in my bra :o , hidden and not noticed by anyone, but still works very well. check progress by linking it to my phone as unlike the others it does not buzz or vibrate when the target is reached.

I too have often been seen walking around the garden in circles to get the last few steps to the target.. and when watering the garden often use a watering can rather than hose as I get more steps. ;)

I did the link with my fitness pal and lost a lot of weight,(3 stone) and fitness levels have truly increased greatly, more than when I was working and walking around all day at work. 5 - 7 miles walk is nothing now, when I started 2 was an effort.

Edited by Inge
  • Like 3

I had one at the beginning of the holidays and was surprised by how little movement I did some days, I was busy but it was busy with admin type things. As others have said it has made me to get more active and with the amount of weight I need to lose that can only be a good thing.

I'd definitely give it a go, wish I'd researched it a bit more though as I have one I wear on my wrist and I don't like people noticing it as they always make an 'issue' about it.

• Like 2

The fit bit one is a basic model without all the bells and whistles, but is discreet and hidden, which is what I like..

I do have a flex (was given to me with my car insurance !) but it needs a new strap..

When buying it is worth checking the strap as some tend to pop open easily. The flex is one of those, would suggest a few more pennies to get one with a buckle or more secure fitting than those silly poppers they have.

I have a Fitbit Alta - I love it. I've had it 4 weeks and it's certainly brought home to me how little I move about. I'd already decided I need to seriously lose weight and it's really helping.

I've started on a calorie controlled diet and the App helps me keep track easily on what I've had, how many calories I've got left etc. You can set yourself al sorts of targets (if you want) and join in challenges with other 'Fitbit' friends which can be fun.

In the 4 weeks I've lost a stone and the Firbit's been a big help.

• Like 5

Wow you guys, I am seriously impressed. I too want it to help to lose weight and for fitness. But wanted something that offers a bit more than my pedometer. Thank you so much for all the replies, maybe we should link up forum buddies on these and have a weekly contest to see who does the most steps! I could certainly do with the motivation that this would provide.

• Like 3

I have a 'bit-fit' as I like to call it £6.99 off fleabay :lol:

It counts steps, gives mileage and calorie count and links to phone. Suits my needs- and makes me move more. :1b

I'm another that walks around the house a 11.45pm to reach my goal count!

Accuracy?? - all I can say is tallies with the step counter on phone.

• Like 3

Ive got a Fitbit blaze which is the watch version basically a cheap version of the I watch. I had a Fitbit flex before then it pretty much fell apart. With this one I can see right away how many steps I've done, miles, calories and floors and I can record other workouts also as well as my heart rate.

I do the weekly challenges with friends with really helps spur you on to do more.

• Like 3

20000 plus yesterday

13500 so far today

and best news of all a smaller jeans size !!!

OMG on the steps, 20000 is a massive amount of walking. Congratulations on the smaller jeans size. Feels good doesn't it? Well it felt good when I went down a size last year but doesn't feel so good to be up a size this year!

• Like 2

I put the app on my phone (iPhones actually count steps anyway in the fitness area, so I didn't need to have done, sigh). At the start of the year I was achieving a regular average of 17,000 steps a day, eating fewer than my set calories and drinking the water allocation, but I only put on weight, and didn't lose any inches. I did it religiously from March to the end of May and then stopped logging in as I was so disheartened. I've no idea where I was going wrong, but the needle on the scales at my weekly weigh in was suggesting I was wasting my time!

3 hours walking over hill and dale and end up on 9979 steps - and 20 flights of stairs today.. garden here Icome, soon be over the mark..

Open heritage day so it was up the hill to visit the church..

It does get harder to make those steps when you no longer work ,you have to make an effort to go out and do it.

post-3735-0-01023200-1473603373_thumb.jpg

post-3735-0-95933300-1473603425_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Stunning pictures

3 hours walking over hill and dale and end up on 9979 steps - and 20 flights of stairs today.. garden here Icome, soon be over the mark..

Open heritage day so it was up the hill to visit the church..

It does get harder to make those steps when you no longer work ,you have to make an effort to go out and do it.

I found during the holidays it was a nightmare trying to get steps to my target and weekends are sometimes problematic - I have been to the beach today and done a groyne to groyne swim but this doesn't count in steps meaning that I am 4000 short at the moment so will be walking to my daughter's in a mo as she has offered dinner.

• Like 4

I have bought a cheaper version on wowcher as I did not want to splash out on the Fitbit if it was only going to be a short lived gimmick! This one does everything so it was worth a try. Like someone said even if it's not totally accurate it is motivation and I need lots of that!

• Like 4

I had a Fitbit charge HR and have just upgraded to Fitbit charge 2. I love mine and wouldn't be without it. Initially I thought I did about 3000 steps a day, I actually do around 10,000 a day and some of the day I am based in the office. I love the sleep app and I know it must be quite accurate as it says what time I have got up in the night and I check the clock . I have had it since October and only take it off when in the shower or swimming.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...