Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

name my chickens!

mundia

And I've been googling groups of 5 and only came up with spice girls, Marx brothers, Scooby characters or the Simpsons ...but it broke up preparing new registers lol

There could be a whole different kind of spice: Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Cumin, Coriander and Ginger? or Cardamom or...

• Like 1

In one setting that I visited in NZ they brought chickens in to encourage being gentle which was an attribute associated with the virtues project that they had adopted. So virtuous or dispositions. Think I a very much in my fellowship mode!!!

Great to have the chucks in the setting though.

sorry very remiss of me, they have arrived, photos to follow! They are not named yet so are still red band , purple band etc according to bands on their legs.

So many good idea everyone I cant decide! I have one escape artist, one feisty madam and the other three are a little quiet and shell shocked.

So many good idea everyone I cant decide! I have one escape artist, one feisty madam and the other three are a little quiet and shell shocked.

See that sounds like it's heading towards the Bennett sisters to me: Lydia the escape artist, Elizabeth the feisty one. If one of the others turns out to be a little pompous and serious then I think you have Mary...

• Like 1

sorry very remiss of me, they have arrived, photos to follow! They are not named yet so are still red band , purple band etc according to bands on their legs.

sounds more like Forum Members!

• Like 1

Jumping in on this thread to ask if they are difficult to keep?

I have a very small garden so am wondering how much space you would need to keep a few chooks. Can they be kept in an enclosed run/small house all the time or is this defeating the object of freeing caged hens, do they have to have free range in the garden?

Hi pimms.

They are fairly easy to keep but you do need to look at the cost of a run, food, meds, etc. I'd suggest you do your research. Eg are you allowed to eg if you rent? Do you get foxes? They can be kept in a smallish space and plenty of people do have them in a run, possibly with some time to free range each day. We have a permanent fenced area but also a mobile fence we put up so they can roam the rest of the garden but stay away from my veggies or flowers. They make great weeders!

Commercial hens can be kept 9 per Sq metre, which is shocking, ideally you want a roaming space of 4 to 5sq m per hen. You can get height in a small garden with a 2 tier run, and most people would only start with 2 or 3 hens (never a single one). Pm me if you want to know more so as not to bore everyone else rigid.

I'm having trouble uploading a photo. My grandson is coming at the weekend and he would like to help choose names so I'll put all the ideas in the mix and see what he thinks. Last time he named them after 'night garden' which was his fav programme at the time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okey done, at last, my new girls have names! My 6 year old grandson wanted Heidi although we have no idea why.I remembered Heidi was one of my fav stories as a child and thought maybe characters from that but as I could only recall Peter and granny I decided against that. As one of my hens has laid every day, my daughter said I should call her Leia, or princess but I already had princess before so Leia it is.

that left 3. So no theme but to use some of your ideas, which I shared with my grandson, we have selected a Bennett, lizzie, a tea, Assam, and a gem opal. (Mainly because we had a conversation in the car about starburst used to be called Opal fruits and he didn't believe me!

so my girls are

Heidi

Leia

Lydia

Opal

Assam

Thanks for your ideas everyone.

and here they are on their rescue day

post-73-0-98526900-1472055885_thumb.jpg

• Like 2